• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mystic theurge vs pure wizard/cleric

Rkhet

First Post
I'd say go for pure Wizard. Polymorph Any Object is just too much to give up for low-level Cleric abilities.

Also, in two level's time, you'll have 9th level Wizard spells.

9th level Wizard spells. Think about it.

beaver1024

First Post
It's worth giving up wizard levels for the class because you gain overpowered cleric spells and domains. It's not worth giving up cleric levels because your spell level decreases and your turning capacity decreases.

Trellian

Explorer
Sounds like it's a lot of pros and cons. Any other suggestions for mighty combos involving both arcane and divine spells? The truth is, I don't know yet what the other guys in the group will be playing.. who knows, maybe I'll end up playing the tank..

xen_xheng

First Post
If the setting allows it, you can go for a good Wizard with the Rainbow Servant prestige (although it's a weird religion). I can't remember the prerequisites, but at 10th level the prestige allow you to cast all the cleric spells at your current wizard caster level. You lose 4 spell levels, though, but can go on increasing wizard spell level after that and casting both wizard and cleric spells of any level (up to what your wizard can cast).

True, you start as a 11th caster level (can cast as a 15th with a feat), but as you level up (as wizard or wizard prestige) you can cast spells of lv 8 and 9 of both wizard and cleric.

Personally I prefer the power of 8th level spells and metamagic-altered spells.

ForceUser

Explorer
If you guys are using action points, another good option for the mystic theurge is two action-point based feats, Heroic Spirit and Action Surge. Heroic Spirit increases the amount of action points you gain per level by 3, and Action Surge allows you to burn 2 action points in a round to gain another standard or move action for that round. One of the biggest limitations of the mystic theurge is the fact that although he has double the spells of a single-classed caster, he is limited to the same number of actions as everyone else. Action Surge helps you overcome this when you're in dire need.

Shallown

First Post
I think it depends also on your party make up. Mystic Theurge works really well in a larger party compared to a 4 man party. They are also consumate buffers and support for a party. If you have a full cleric and a full wizard having the msytic theurge works out well since they can buff and heal while the others blast or buff and bash.

If you can play that sort of support character then a mystic theurge can shine. You might also want to think of other unique combos like wizard/spirit shaman or warlock/cleric or something weird like that. Right now I am doing a war mage / favored soul to mystic theurge. A admittedly weak combo since I will be one further level behind in both it still will be doable as we have a 6 person party.

Later

Iku Rex

Explorer
Trellian said:
Would this character be underpowered?
Not at all. And theurges make good tanks if that's what you have in mind. Exactly how powerful the character is depends on your choice and use of spells, the "build" and the books you have access to.

Trellian

Explorer
Well, I was told I could use everything at my disposal, as long as I could show it to the DM.. so.. mainly everything. I dunno stats and stuff yet, but I should be able to think out spells, but I probably should wait for the rest of the party make up. We are 6 players, so I should think we got most bases covered, allowing for a buff machine / extra healer.

The reason I want to play a mystic theurge is that I often become bored as a player (I almost always DM). If I play someone who has to keep track of both arcane and divine spells I'm bound to keep myself occupied..

IcyCool

First Post
If you aren't the primary arcane or divine caster in your party, Mystic Theurge is great. If you can swing it, go wizard/druid/Arcane Heirophant, and then Mystic Theurge for those last 4 levels to get yourself 9th level wizard and 9th level druid spells by level 20. Be sure to pick up the practiced spellcaster feat for the arcane side and the divine side.

If you are the primary arcane or divine caster in your party, don't go Mystic Theurge. The loss in spell levels hurts if you are the party's best spell-slinger.

Shallown

First Post
Youhave to get practiced spell caster. Though I think getting it at 9th and 12th for your classes works well enough.

Consider divine metamagic with the reach metamagic feat. Touch spells at 30 feet make a significant advantage both offensively and defensively. Dropping a heal or stone skin on your tank from the back ranks at a critical moment makes all the difference. As well as a harm from behind a meat wall on the bad guy is also nasty. :)

Later

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads