D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros on DNDBeyhond

darjr

I crit!
I think Wizards tests things on several levels. One being playtesters public and private, and probably several layers of that. Another being airing ideas on their podcast and website and streams. And also toe dipping new mechanics in books with an eye to use them more later.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That said, the races are bizarrely underwhelming (aside from the Satyr). They compare rather unfavourably with PHB races. I mean, really, how much is WotC valuing a 1d4+STR natural attack? Because it seems like they're assigning it a similar value to, say, Darkvision, or a cantrip, or multiple spells or something. When the actual value to any given PC is extremely close to zero.
They definitely overvalue abilities like natural armor and natural weapons, which are almost always inferior to what you gain via your class. They also need to do way more races that have at least a floating +1 bonus, just to allow some more diversity. I wouldn't mind seeing some more races like Changeling, with a +2 bonus and a floating bonus +1 that can be stacked with the +2. (Speaking of WotC doing something that would have been laughed at if a 3PP did it!)

R_J_K75

Legend
Besides Odyssey of the Dragonlords and Mythic Odysseys of Theros wasn't there a 3rd similar Greek-themed book either out or coming out soon?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Maybe it's me, but I don't get why the mythic actions are all that cool. The idea that they transform after taking damage is kind of cool, but the mythic actions are pretty much the same as their normal actions. I'd really like the actions to be significantly different, so it is clear that the monster is different. They pretty much trigger on 4 edition's bloodied condition, but I'd want/expect some damage output at the transformation. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it still seems kind of vanilla to me, in terms of effects/abilities. The transformations of hearts and spiders and stuff is pretty cool......but the actual changes to what they can do are just ok.

darjr

I crit!
Try it in play. The damage type changes, number of attacks per can go up, and in Hythonias case she can FORCE someone to look at her eyes. So that blindsight barbarian with their eyes closed doesn’t matter.

Remove ads