D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros Reviews

Did you, or will you, buy Mythic Odysseys of Theros

I don't see why anyone get to decide the nature of reality. I think that might be beyond us.
The nature of reality is undoubtedly beyond us.

However, morality has nothing to do with the nature of reality.
Take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder and sieve it through the finest sieve and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy. and yet... and yet you act as if there is some ideal order in the world, as if there is some... some rightness in the universe by which it may be judged.
― Sir Terry Pratchett

It's largely a matter of popular consensus, with the most weight going to the views of Hasbro and the people who work for WotC.

The nature of reality is undoubtedly beyond us.

However, morality has nothing to do with the nature of reality.
Take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder and sieve it through the finest sieve and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy. and yet... and yet you act as if there is some ideal order in the world, as if there is some... some rightness in the universe by which it may be judged.
― Sir Terry Pratchett

It's largely a matter of popular consensus, with the most weight going to the views of Hasbro and the people who work for WotC.

I agree. Moral reasoning is a personal matter. No one can dictate it. It exists only in the mind. Every person make individual choices. Those choices have consequences - physically and socially.

That has nothing to do with whether or not something is racist or not. It is only related to something being considered racist. Those not the same sentence.

That has nothing to do with whether or not something is racist or not. It is only related to something being considered racist. Those not the same sentence.
Yes they are. Because dictionary definitions also have nothing to do with the nature of reality. They are merely the subjective opinion of the person writing the dictionary. Grind the universe down to a fine powder and you will won't find an atom of racism either. But that doesn't mean the universe is full of it. But you will never be able to identify it by looking in a dictionary.

You won't find wisdom between the pages of a dictionary, or by linear reasoning.

You want to know about the nature of reality? Read Physics. You want to know about the human condition? Read fiction.

Last edited:

Yes they are. Because dictionary definitions also have nothing to do with the nature of reality. They are merely the subjective opinion of the person writing the dictionary. Grind the universe down to a fine powder and you will won't find an atom of racism either. But that doesn't mean the universe is full of it. But you will never be able to identify it by looking in a dictionary.

1. By looking at atoms, you won't find table, chairs, or glasses, either. Those things may not exist in reality in the way I perceive them. Nevertheless, I do perceive something, and it functions like a chair, table, or pair of spectacles. By interpreting that information and acting appropriately according to my perception, memory, and testimony of others, I can exist in the world that I perceive.

2. As you said, dictionary definitions are, of course, subjective. However, most definitions attempt to point at something - whether physical or conceptual.

3. Racism exists: both as the belief that one race is superior to another and in the Mariam Webster sense. They exist in the mind as beliefs. Beliefs exist. I have them. You have them. Everyone else has them, too.

4. Moralities are also beliefs. Like all beliefs, they need not exist outside the mind in order to exist inside the mind.

5. I consider milk tasteless. Others love it. However, tasteless and love are attributes not of the milk, but of the individual who has a belief about milk.

6. Different people have different opinions as what they consider racist - just like finding milk tasteless or pleasant. The sense of something being racist is an attribute of the individual, not the object.

7. Therefore something cannot be racist. It can only be considered racist.

8. The fact something cannot be racist (once again, in the Merriam Webster sense) and can only be considered racist is not an excuse to intentionally offend or harm others. Humans exist in societies. Those societies require cooperation to sustain themselves. Collapse will likely result in the loss of human life and well-being, which I consider a bad thing.

Last edited:

Remove ads