D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros Reviews

Did you, or will you, buy Mythic Odysseys of Theros

A lot of it also has to do with the function of religion in early societal development as well, particularly in the context of how each culture was in a different environment geographically speaking. The groups of people we collectively label under the "Norse" umbrella had very harsh environments to live in, particularly in the winter, which does much to explain why their gods are all largely more serious and most of their mythology is centered around preparing for an oncoming cataclysmic event; interdrama does still occur, but it ultimately ends up meaningless in the end when the endless Winter arrives.

The greeks, conversely had a much milder and less varied climate, outside of the storms/uncertainties of sea travel and the inevitable results of stuck in a bunch of warring city states and nearby countries; their gods are therefore used as examples of the dangers of being a terrible person (in their eyes), or to explain freak acts of nature like volcanoes or storms in the sea. Yes, the norse had sea gods as well (which were also some of the more unpredictable one), but there's a reason the more "hostile" gods to humans in the greek pantheon were related sea travel and warfare, or just used as a scapegoat for lampshading societal sexism; because nothing says 'women' like vain flighty goddesses who turn women they think are prettier than them into animals, or grow insanely jealous and blame them for their husband's philandering, and even claim that the very existence of women was to be made out of clay and perpetually unhappy as a punishment to men for their crimes against the gods...am I right fellas? (sarcastically rolls eyes)

Greek women used to cover their faces with lead, which increases agression. Greek women may have really been more vain flighty than average.

Wouldn't you then argue that those politicians do not understand the nature of facts?
You could argue that, but I think "fact" is used often enough as a synonym for "absolute truth" in common usage that it would be equally valid to say that scientists do not understand the nature of facts.

Or, to put it another way, politicians understand what they mean by "facts" and scientists understand what they mean by "facts" but they are actually speaking completely different languages.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I don't know. If we were to ask Aristotle (Nicomachean Ethics, Book 2), he might agree that "perceiving things and acting correctly based on those perceptions" is, in fact, wisdom.

I still don't think it fits the Spartans. Aristotle, certainly, would not have called them wise.

I also think the Buddhists would agree that "perceiving things and acting correctly based on those perceptions" is at least a major component of wisdom (What the Buddha Taught, Walpola Sri Rahula).
Here, from the PHB:
Wisdom reflects how attuned you are to the world around you and represents perceptiveness and intuition.

This makes it seem more like an awareness of the world around you than actual real world wisdom. I don't know if the ancient spartans were perceptive or intuitive, but this doesn't make it seem like they would not be ruled as "wise" in D&D terms.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
... with politicians expecting scientists to give them "facts" when that is something that science fundamentally cannot do.
Wouldn't you then argue that those politicians do not understand the nature of facts?

Mod Note:
Folks,

This is a thread about the Mythic Odysseys of Theros. It is not about covid-19, or politicians.

Both of you are done in this discussion. Please consider keeping to the topic of the next thread you participate in.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I think I saw a couple of people in this thread asking about the map of Theros (or maybe maps in general, I don't remember).

The geographic map is extremely bland. Just this granite colored map with the locations of cities. Not anything to get excited over.

I like the battlemaps, but they are the black/white ones from recently. I like that style but I know many don't.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I think I saw a couple of people in this thread asking about the map of Theros (or maybe maps in general, I don't remember).

The geographic map is extremely bland. Just this granite colored map with the locations of cities. Not anything to get excited over.

I like the battlemaps, but they are the black/white ones from recently. I like that style but I know many don't.
Yeah. I would've liked a map like the Eberron or Wildemount ones, that you can actually pull out of the book. The map is bland, and not very colorful.

Urriak Uruk

Yeah. I would've liked a map like the Eberron or Wildemount ones, that you can actually pull out of the book. The map is bland, and not very colorful.

Yeah, even the Forgotten Realms geographic maps have more flavor than the Theros one. It's just boring, and feels like something anyone could have made. Compared to the maps they made for say Descent into Avernus, extremely lakluster.

Urriak Uruk

And the gazetteer section is lackluster, too. This book is good, but is definitely not without its flaws.

Yeah... I think the biggest reason this book was published is because they have so much art they can use for Theros, so much of that cost was already made. There is a lot of reused art from Magic cards in this book, and although there are new pieces they are a minority.

Biggest wins that jumped out to me here are the battlemaps, and the new monsters... the rest I haven't actually read yet, so can't really speak on.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Yeah... I think the biggest reason this book was published is because they have so much art they can use for Theros, so much of that cost was already made. There is a lot of reused art from Magic cards in this book, and although there are new pieces they are a minority.

Biggest wins that jumped out to me here are the battlemaps, and the new monsters... the rest I haven't actually read yet, so can't really speak on.
Yeah. I'm still reading the section on the gods, their relationships with each other and mortals, their followers, the myths about them, etc.

That chapter has a ton of lore in it, and is long. I'm a quick reader, but it has taken me awhile to get through it.

I love most of the monsters, but was confused as to why they didn't reprint the Neried and Siren from TftYP. Those just seemed like they fit in a greek-inspired setting.

The magic items are cool, as well. The Two-Birds Sling makes the sling somewhat usable, but basically only for monks still (Maybe Hexblade warlocks?). The Flying Chariot and general chariots are cool, and it makes me want more land vehicles.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases