• Rager

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Battlerager

Votes: 10 7.0%

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
On a serious note, the fundamental issue is that the "Barbarian" is similar to the "Paladin" and the "Ranger," - these are grandfathered in class archetypes.

Barbarian is, of course, Conan.
Paladin is from Three Hearts and Three Lions.
Ranger is Strider (Aragorn) from LoTR.

Each of these class names has acquired different connotations (for example, the Ranger class often suffers from certain difficulties in defining it because "Like Strider" isn't really a class; so the issue of whether it's an archer, a survivalist, a dual-wielder, a commando, a petmaster etc. always pops up) over time, but occasionally suffers from the identity crisis of what it means.

Essentially, the Barbarian is "more tanky" than the fighter (more hit points, more resilient) with occasional outsider/wilderness overtones (as in the berserker/totem base subclasses). There's not a good name for that.

Which means you either stick with Barbarian, which people know as an archetype from D&D (and from other D&D-inspired games and CRPGs) or give it a name no one is very familiar with. Neither seems particularly satisfying, IMO.

My feeling is it is a trope, and in terms of being derogatory....does it really apply to any living group anymore? I mean it refers mostly to cultures that no longer would be described as uncivilized. And it kind of swings both ways (Conan the Barbarian is almost a commentary against civilized or urban living). It was also a way many cultures in the past did think of people outside their own more settled or more culturally advanced societies. It is a bit hard to understand Rome for example without at least entertaining the concept of barbarians. I am not sure we need to wring our hands over concepts that really apply to peoples from hundreds and thousands of years ago. Sure the term may occasionally get evoked today but it isn't usually meant literally. It pretty specifically refers to less civilized people in the distant past.

No it doesn’t.

I'm not sure if news viewing and article viewing has any crossover with the very vocal and much more niche active forum-going community here.

jgsugden

Legend
I think this veers into the realm of looking for trouble. You're applying a bias to a word that does not need to have that bias. If we did that for other terms, we'd soon run out of options in this game.

Fighters? All they're there to do is fight? Violence is the only answer - is that the message we want to send?

Clerics and paladins? How offensive can we be to people that actually have their own faith? Shoving false idols at them is irresponsible and inconsiderate.

Wizards. Really - wizards? Have you heard of the KKK? It sounds like you have if you're using their titles.

You can poke holes at anything.

The words have the meaning we give them. Barbarian is only offensive if we make it offensive. In my campaigns, the barbarian tribes are sometimes dangerous wanderers that plunder and take, but there are also wandering tribes that live as one with nature and fend off evil forces when they rise up.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases