• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help with my char!!

Crothian

First Post
Morose said:

As long as all the players are on the same page, I think it's fine. All hack and slash can be fun. So can roleplaying things to the hilt. It's when you get a roleplayer in the middle of a hack and slash party or vice versa that people start to get frustrated.

I agree. That's why I said encourage them in the directionj of role playing uless they say other wise. Everyone always assumes and gives advice based on the making of the most powerful character. I say the default advice should be role playing and not hack and slash. However, if they ask for hack and slash advise them on that.

TiQuinn

Instead of making a standard tank, try rounding out your character a bit. Give him Alertness or Iron Will or something along those lines. Can't tell you how many "tank" fighters get surprised or fail will saves in the games I've seen.

Gaio Macareg

First Post
In battle i usually have a bull strength on me, bringing my Strength to 20 or so. I tend to have no trouble with hitting and dropping but am looking for some flair or at least some direction.
Well for flair you can go with some of the interesting feats in Sword and Fist. Monkeygrip is a fun one. Some of the non-attack feats are also fun, like improved bull rush to go with your improved trip (and to take advantage of that boosted strength from bull's strength and rage). You could charge into some enemy, sending him sprawling into the guy behind him. While they're at range you get them with the chain. If they think they're getting in close you knock them back again.

Another idea is to expand on the chain idea. See if your DM will let you use the Third Hand feat with it. That one's aimed at whips, but it's somewhat reasonable to apply with your chain as well. You can also try looking over the Lasher Prestige Class (I think sword and fist, but I'm not 100% positive) and seeing if he'll let you take it using your chain instead of a whip. Might not, I'm not sure if I would, but it's an interesting idea at any rate.

What rule books does your DM allow?

Hammerhead

Explorer
Your character has a +2 Will save. Do you want him to spend more time fighting for the other team, Held, or confused than he spends normally?

If your answer to the above question is "No," then I recommend looking at Iron Will. It will double your save.

Also, it's hard to go wrong with Power Attack for a fighter type.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Hammerhead said:
Your character has a +2 Will save. Do you want him to spend more time fighting for the other team, Held, or confused than he spends normally?

If your answer to the above question is "No," then I recommend looking at Iron Will. It will double your save.

Also, it's hard to go wrong with Power Attack for a fighter type.

Iron Will is indeed a much underrated feat for a grunt. I think it is most valuable for smaller parties of 5 or fewer PCs, where a bad run of luck with the saving throw dice can easily cause a TPK. It is not urgent for larger parties.

Combat Reflexes seems like an obvious choice for someone whose preferred weapon has reach, doubly so for someone with the spiked chain. It will give you a big tactical edge if you are caught flatfooted, and has synergy with his trip and disarm feats.

Many people think of CR for the extra AoOs. I think being able to AoO while flay-footed alone makes it a decent feat for any character who carries a reach weapon.

Gromm

First Post
Iron Will or Combat Reflexes for the above reasons.

I lean towards Iron Will if your the only party tank, getting hit with those evil, evil Will save spells could get the whole party killed if they don't have enough dispels.

Combat Reflexes is great since odds are you'll get surprised alot and everyone probably has to take a AoO to attack you as it is.

Orco42

First Post
I would say no to the Iron Will.

I was temptemt when I made my most recent grunt. I decided not to take it so I had a negitive will save, as a 5th level character. That was quite fun. I failed my first will save in game number 3 and ended up wiping out the rest of the party in 3 rounds.

Trust me, your party does not want you to take Iron Will. ;)

Azazu

First Post
THANKS THANKS THANKS

Actually i already have combat reflexes, I was thinking knockback also. WHat do tou think???

Iron will is tempting though

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Re: THANKS THANKS THANKS

Azazu said:
Actually i already have combat reflexes, I was thinking knockback also. WHat do tou think???

Iron will is tempting though

Jeez...you could have told us that in the first place! ;)

What is the party composition?

Core books only or which supplements are allowed?

Azazu

First Post
Ok, party consists of:

Monk 6
Wiz 6
Cleric 6
Fighter 5/Order of the Bow 1
and me the Bar 2/Fighter 4 (aka Tank:))

Oh, all the WOTC splat books are allowed, NO FRCS.

Later

Last edited:

Remove ads