Need tv recommendations!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Expanse is fantastic scifi, if you need your Babylon 5 fix. Is is tense, but not overly gloomy.

The Queens Gambit on netflix is worth a watch. You've probably already heard all the hype.

Better Call Saul is sort of a spiritual successor to Breaking Bad, but focusing on the character of Saul Goodman the shady lawyer, instead. More humor and light drama, less heavy on crime.
Seen 'em all (they're great), but none of them are light half hour breakfast time comedies. :)

If you liked Veep, give Avenue 5 a shot. It's by the same creator (brilliant satirist Armando Iannucci). The first couple of episodes are a bit shaky but it really hits its stride in the latter half of the first season. And after 2020, it really seems to hit different than it did before.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If you liked Veep, give Avenue 5 a shot. It's by the same creator (brilliant satirist Armando Iannucci). The first couple of episodes are a bit shaky but it really hits its stride in the latter half of the first season. And after 2020, it really seems to hit different than it did before.
I did try A5, but I couldn’t get into it.

Mallus

Legend
Undone on Amazon is fantastic. It's kinda-sorta animated, ie it's filmed then rotoscoped like A Scanner Darkly or Waking Life.

I Am Not Okay With This on Netflix is also great. But it's really short & only a single series.

Last edited:

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
30 Rock was good. It was basically a comedy based off SNL set behind the scenes at 30 Rockefeller Plaza.
30 Rock is one of my favorites. I can't say the first episode is great, but it hits it's stride pretty quickly. Tine Fey is just the best.

New Girl, too. Some of the actors/characters take a while to figure out their place. If you don't care for Zoey Deschanel, she's not the focus, just the title character.

Schitt's Creek is a delight (except for Chris Elliot, who luckily isn't featured much after the first season, I think)

Ryujin

Legend
A couple of comedies for the Canadian Content crowd. Both are half hour (approx. 22 minute run time, without commercials) shows:

Corner Gas: (6 seasons; ended): Set in a small town, in Saskatchewan, Canada. Barely a bump in the road. Theme song lyrics involve a horrible old joke about how flat and boring the Province is ("You can tell me that your dog ran away. Then you can tell me that it took three days. I've heard every joke, heard every saying...")

Letterkenny (9 seasons; still running): Set in a small town (Seeing a trend?) in Northern Ontario. it's funny but so true to how I grew up in this town, when it had a population of maybe 45K (now 600K) that I can't watch it, in the same way that my mother, who grew up on the East Coast of Canada, can't watch "Trailer Park Boys."

Remove ads