Never buy from Lowe's Ever.

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
Whoah, sounds like a nightmare. I've never had any trouble with the local Lowe's, in fact, I wrote a letter to management about a wonderful employee there who was courteous, knowledgeable, and extremely patient and helpful to my wife and I when we were buying blinds for our new house, all of which had to be custom made.

*Don't* get me started on our local Dodge/Chrysler dealership, however.... *GRRRRRRRR*

der_kluge

Adventurer
Lowes is a publically traded company on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol LOW, Wal Mart is not listed as a major stockholder, and if it owns any stock it's less than 1%. The stock is currently going for around $65 a share, in case you really want to go through with the "I'm a stockholder" complaint method (sounds like a good idea).

I get the feeling you people didn't believe me when I said that Wal-Mart didn't own Lowes. I worked for Wal-Mart corporate for over three years. I know what they own. :)

Besides, Wal-Mart's IT is incredible efficient and awesome. This would never have happened at a Wal-Mart. So, aside from Wal-Mart's horribly dirty stores, and the idiots that work there, when you consider the amount of information the computers there handle, it's pretty incredible.

tonym

First Post
Whoa! I *almost* bought my refrigerator from that exact Lowe's a couple months ago, but didn't. WHEW!

I shopped at Kaminski's instead (in Jonesburg). It took only a few minutes to do the credit card thingy, and delivery was right on time, and the ice maker was hooked-up perfectly.

The lady at Kaminski's mentioned that getting a refrigerator at Lowe's may be cheaper, but it was risky because, if the refrigerator broke, it could be difficult to convince Lowe's to do repairs. With Kaminski's, she said, they'll come and fix the refrigerator, no problem, no big deal.

Thanks for posting! I'll stay away from that Lowe's in the future, too.

Tony M

Meowzebub

First Post
A well written, complaint letter to the region or district office is your best best. Don't go right out and post bad press (except here of course :p ) but kindly threaten them that is what you intend. Indicate your greivance, the future lack of business, and your intentions to prevent your family and friends from also shopping there.

By keeping it polite and threatening the loss of future business because of your disappointment you keep them from just throwing you in the crank pile. By stressing disappointment from a company that till recently had provided good service instead of raging anger over pinhead employees you are more tlikely to get the regional manager reaming them out, and possibly getting restitution. THis has worked for me in the past, although not with Lowe's (who I actually prefer over HD).

A friend of my mother tought me this early on. She was the queen of the nice and civil complaint letter. SHe was rolling in free perks.

It can be taken to extremes as two friends of mine are red flagged at REI and other outdoor shops for repeatedly returning used gear complaining of defects just to keep getting new gear.

WizarDru

Adventurer
der_kluge said:
I get the feeling you people didn't believe me when I said that Wal-Mart didn't own Lowes. I worked for Wal-Mart corporate for over three years. I know what they own. :)

Nah, I started replying before you did...I just spent a long time googling an answer. By the time I'd hit SUBMIT, three posts had appeared above me. :) Some of us have never worked for Walmart, so we had to come by the answer the hard way. ;)

MaxKaladin

First Post
tonym said:
The lady at Kaminski's mentioned that getting a refrigerator at Lowe's may be cheaper, but it was risky because, if the refrigerator broke, it could be difficult to convince Lowe's to do repairs. With Kaminski's, she said, they'll come and fix the refrigerator, no problem, no big deal.
This sort of thing was what helped my father's business when Wal-Mart came to town. They were drastically undercutting us on lawn mowers and the like. For about three years they did a booming business. Then, all their cheap mowers started breaking down and Wal-Mart didn't do repairs. Our mowers were not only more reliable but we did repairs, kept most of the parts in stock and could get anything that wasn't in stock within a day (or Monday if you ordered on Friday). A lot of people decided that buying the cheaper mower from the big chain wasn't so smart after that. Service is something to consider...

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lowes Blows

I'll add my own Lowes story, nowhere near as bad, but annoying just the same.

I needed to buy a new leaf blower/vac. Went to Lowes, saw the model I was interested in getting. The shelf tag says it costs $x.xx. I go to the register, waiting in a very slow moving line. Finally my item gets rung up and the price is reported as $15 more than the shelf tag. I tell the cashier that the price is incorrect. She stares at the screen for a minute, looks at the box, looks back at the screen and tells me, no its not, it is the correct item and that is the price. When I tell her that is not what the shelf tag says, she calls someone in the department to check it out. Five minutes later we have heard nothing. She calls again. About another five minutes pass when someone comes to the register and tells the cashier that I read the wrong shelf tag and the price for what I was buying is correct. At this point I am not happy, and not convinced, but I figure the best way to take care of this is to do it myself. I purchase the leaf blower, bring it out to my car, drop it in the trunk and head back into the store.

I check the shelf tag myself, maybe I was wrong. Nope, the shelf tag lists brand and model number and the price is exactly what I thought it was supposed to be - $15 cheaper than I just paid. At this point I head over to the customer service desk and ask to speak to a manager. The person at the counter asks what the problem is, and I tell her it is a pricing error and to please call a manager. When a manager finally arrives, it takes me 10 minutes of explaining, walking back and forth with the manager from the shelf tag to the registers to show him the problem. The manager refunds the difference. I tell him that while I appreciate the fact that he is going to do so, I do not appreciate that it appears someone was either too lazy to check the shelf tag when I first noticed the problem, or they lied to me about the actual price. The manager just shrugs and tells me I have paid the correct price now.

When I got home I sent an e-mail to the corporate office. Three days later I come home and find I have a phone message from the store manager apologizing for the fact that I had a less than perfect shopping experience, that it is not how they do business, and that he hopes I will continue to shop at Lowes. Yeah, right.

Of course my Home Depot experiences have not been any better. Now I pretty much shop only at my local True Value, where the owner of the store lives in town, and the service is usually very good. I know I pay a little more than I would at Lowes or Home Depot, but I figure the money I am saving on medical bills by keeping my blood pressure down makes up the difference.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Nice of the spam bot to resurrect this 14 year old thread. My experience with Lowe's matches the OP, so I guess some things are eternal.

Remove ads