New barbarian Path - DERVISH

Khaalis

Adventurer
It was brought up in this Thread, the concept of a Dervish as a subclass of Barbarian. I think its a great concept. My question is how would you work a subclass that re-writes the class's core abilities to a new Stat. I'm also looking for the best options for the 4 class abilities in the subclass. My thoughts so far would be something like this as it makes a DEX based Barbarian that can be a valid one-hand and tow-weapon fighter.

DERVISH DANCE
Starting when you take this path at 3rd level, all of your class abilities that rely on STR (Rage, Reckless Attack, etc.) now rely on Dexterity instead of Strength.
Additionally, you gain one fighting style as per the Fighter (p72 PHB) from: Defense, Dueling or Two-Weapon Fighting.

WHIRLING DERVISH
Beginning at 6th level, you gain the Evasion ability (as PHB).

MASTER DERVISH
Beginning at 10th level you gain a second fighting style from the Dervish Dance class feature.

DANCE OF A THOUSAND CUTS
Beginning at 14th level, while raging and on your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action. This ability is taxing however. For each round you gain a bonus action beyond the first, you suffer 1 level of Exhaustion (see p291 PHB).

RhaezDaevan

Explorer
They shouldn't get evasion before the rogue, though it could be alright if they only have it while raging. Then give them evasion all the time at a later level.

Khaalis

Adventurer
They shouldn't get evasion before the rogue, though it could be alright if they only have it while raging. Then give them evasion all the time at a later level.

Its only one level lower than monk and rogue but I can see the point.

Options:
1) What about swapping Whirling and Master?

2) WHIRLING DERVISH
Beginning at 6th level, you gain the Evasion ability (as PHB) while Dervish Dancing. At 10th level, you gain evasion even when not Dervish Dancing.

Last edited:

RhaezDaevan

Explorer
Its only one level lower than monk and rogue but I can see the point.

Options:
1) What about swapping Whirling and Master?

2) WHIRLING DERVISH
Beginning at 6th level, you gain the Evasion ability (as PHB) while Dervish Dancing. At 10th level, you gain evasion even when not Dervish Dancing.

I like the second option. They don't really need two fighting styles.

Khaalis

Adventurer
DERVISH v2

DERVISH DANCE
Starting when you take this path at 3rd level, all of your class abilities that rely on STR (Rage, Reckless Attack, etc.) now rely on Dexterity instead of Strength.
Additionally, you gain one fighting style as per the Fighter (p72 PHB) from: Defense, Dueling or Two-Weapon Fighting.

WHIRLING DERVISH
Beginning at 6th level, while Dervish Dancing you gain the Evasion ability (as PHB).

MASTER DERVISH
Beginning at 10th level, you now gain the Evasion ability (as PHB) even while not Dervish Dancing.

DANCE OF A THOUSAND CUTS
Beginning at 14th level, while raging and on your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action. This ability is taxing however. For each round you gain a bonus action beyond the first, you suffer 1 level of Exhaustion (see p291 PHB).

Quartz

Hero
Is Evasion the right ability? Wouldn't Uncanny Dodge be more thematic? Also, the other paths require three good stats - Str, Dex, and Con - but this one only requires two good ones, so you might want to balance that by restricting DD somehow, for instance automatically ending if grappled, restrained, etc.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Is Evasion the right ability? Wouldn't Uncanny Dodge be more thematic? Also, the other paths require three good stats - Str, Dex, and Con - but this one only requires two good ones, so you might want to balance that by restricting DD somehow, for instance automatically ending if grappled, restrained, etc.

I could see arguments for Uncanny Dodge or Evasion. Depends on whether you want to reduce damage from melee attacks or do you want their erratic 'dancing' around to help prevent AoE damage. Of the two I think Evasion is more the correct power level and fills a small niche in the subclass giving it something the other subclasses cant do. Uncanny Dodge is rather "meh" for a barbarian.

As to the Stat Req balance... I'm not quite sure of your point. Barb's really only need STR and CON. Part of the driving force behind this idea was that people are requesting an actual DEX based barbarian subclass, which also makes Unarmored Defense worthwhile, making the Dervish DEX/CON vs. the other 2 subclasses which are STR/CON.

Rune

Once A Fool

Uncanny Dodge uses a reaction, so couldn't be used while raging.

Unless the Dervish allowed reactions (which actually would be cool).

I think I would give Uncanny Dodge during rage and reactions during rage at 6th.

Then Evasion during rage at 10th.

EDIT=Well! I guess the rage changed from the play test. I can't see any mention of rage preventing reactions in the PH! I approve of the change.

Last edited:

Remove ads