D&D 5E New class options in Tasha

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Sure, go ahead and do it. No one is stopping you. It just isn't an official rule.

Yes I am aware I can make any rule I want in my personal game. Thank you Captain Obvious.

I am saying it should be an official rule option, along with the new sorcerer long rest swap rule.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Yes I am aware I can make any rule I want in my personal game. Thank you Captain Obvious.

I am saying it should be an official rule option, along with the new sorcerer long rest swap rule.

Ah, well that isn't going to happen. I suppose it could happen if they altered the rules in Tasha's enough, but since it would make the wizard scribing rules and all of the Savant rules pointless, I doubt they are going to make a rule like that.

Mistwell

Ah, well that isn't going to happen. I suppose it could happen if they altered the rules in Tasha's enough, but since it would make the wizard scribing rules and all of the Savant rules pointless, I doubt they are going to make a rule like that.

Why would it make those useless when it's just one per short rest? Also, doesn't mean you can scribe something you swapped. You'd still want more spells in your spellbook regardless.

As for savant rules...I cannot recall what you're referring to with that?

Vael

Legend
I really do like the option someone in this thread proposed that they let a wizard swap one spell per short rest.

THAT will go a long way to restoring their versatility.

I don't mind the rule, but here's one I like better:

The Wizard can instead swap a number of spells equal to their Intelligence modifier when they use their Arcane Recovery feature. Each spell prepared, like in Spell versatility, must be of the same level as the spell lost.

So, not trading out Counterspell for Scorching Ray, for example, but possibly Counterspell for Fireball.

Tying it to Arcane Recovery means it'll be at the same time a Wizard is restocking spells midday anyway, so it's a good time to reconsider spell loadout, without just allowing the Wizard too freely trade out spells.

IME Wizards and Clerics rarely if ever swap out spells anyway.

Maybe spells like remove curse or really specific niche spells like that from time to time to do a very specific task.

The sort of spells you'd never walk around with prepared most days and that a sorceter would never actually even select due to its limited use.

Chaosmancer

Legend
As for savant rules...I cannot recall what you're referring to with that?

Most people seem to have no idea those rules exist. Level 2 wizards almost all get a "savant" ability, to cut their gold cost and time spent scribing spells from certain schools in half.

As for why scribing would be rendered obsolete. Why bother spending time and money to get a new spell, if after an hour's rest you can have it anyways? You can just stick with the spells you learn over leveling up, and if you need something else, take a short rest.

Dausuul

Legend
Maybe spells like remove curse or really specific niche spells like that from time to time to do a very specific task.

The sort of spells you'd never walk around with prepared most days and that a sorceter would never actually even select due to its limited use.
And even with the new rule, you won't see sorcerers swapping in remove curse, on account of it's not on the sorcerer list to begin with.

NotAYakk

Legend
If anyone cares, I like spell versatility, and also think it short changes the wizard.

I like spell versatility because I want to be able to assume that a high level caster can provide a reasonably well known amount of utility, at least with warning. This is so I don't have to customize adventures for the specific spell choices of PCs.

I like spell versatility because it reduces the trap option problems with some of those classes.

---

But, because I think it short changes wizards, I upgraded the wizard's spellbook.

Wizards are able to cast any spell from their spellbook, it just takes longer and requires them to hold their spellbook (as they are literally reading it from the spellbook, as opposed to performing it from memory).

This, with week-long long (gritty) rests, ensures that a Wizard's versatility is unparalleled. But at the same time, if the party only has a bard, they can get access to teleportation circle or scrying or the like at the cost of downtime.

(A wizard might have to pay a one-time fee to buy the scroll in question while a bard/sorcerer wouldn't, but once they had it they could cast it from the spellbook without taking 1 week to swap it in and 1 week to swap it out).

Mistwell

I don't mind the rule, but here's one I like better:

The Wizard can instead swap a number of spells equal to their Intelligence modifier when they use their Arcane Recovery feature. Each spell prepared, like in Spell versatility, must be of the same level as the spell lost.

So, not trading out Counterspell for Scorching Ray, for example, but possibly Counterspell for Fireball.

Tying it to Arcane Recovery means it'll be at the same time a Wizard is restocking spells midday anyway, so it's a good time to reconsider spell loadout, without just allowing the Wizard too freely trade out spells.

I love it. Yes, this is better.

Mistwell

Most people seem to have no idea those rules exist. Level 2 wizards almost all get a "savant" ability, to cut their gold cost and time spent scribing spells from certain schools in half.

As for why scribing would be rendered obsolete. Why bother spending time and money to get a new spell, if after an hour's rest you can have it anyways? You can just stick with the spells you learn over leveling up, and if you need something else, take a short rest.

Because you can only get one that way per long rest, and it's not permanently in your spellbook.

Remove ads