D&D Movie/TV New D&D Movie: July 23rd 2021

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

We already know that the movie will be produced by the Lego Movie's Roy Lee, that it will be directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). Originally scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), it's now being written by Joe Manganelio, might be Dragonlance and then again might feature the Yawning Portal, and will adopt a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. Oh, and that we should take everything I just said with a pinch of salt as the movie appears have jumped from WB to Paramount at some point in the process!

Oofta

Legend
Michael Bay movies may make money, but D&D needs to be a good movie that reaches out to a new audience. Having a Michael Bay movie would merely reinforce the worst possible prejudices against D&D being just for adolescent boys with no aesthetic sensibilities whatsoever. It would lose a wider market, regardless of the people who may go and see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0d6G1X278s

You can make a good movie that is fun and spectacular, without ignoring aspects of characterisation, relationships and plot. Guardians of the Galaxy works on several levels, which is much of it's appeal. We don't want something like Guy Richie's King Arthur (or 'Arffurr' as it was) - Sherlock Holmes (with Robert Downey Junior) worked though, because it had a good script, a decent villain and a compelling relationship between the protagonists. That is the sort of thing people should be thinking about - and it's not the sort of thing that Michael Bay ever thinks about.

What? But there's that whole adversarial relationship between the Transformers and the Decepticons. Not to mention EXPLOSIONS! And that subtext of OH NO! ANOTHER EXPLOSION! Or the relationship between OH NO! CAR CRASH!

I think Michael Bay movies live in their own absurdist over-the-top universe alongside the Fast and Furious movies.

Of course on the other hand being a good movie does not make a success. For example I think Jackson's King Kong was a better movie than Kong Skull Island, (and so did critics) but audiences? According to Rotten Tomatoes, Kong Skull Island ranks higher. Personally I enjoyed both ... but King Kong was definitely the "better" movie.

pemerton

Legend
Nope. Ideology has nothing to do with it. I snub Michael Bay because his movies manage to be both frantic and boring. They're like having somebody shouting at you in Swahili for two hours, in a room full of flashing neon lights.
I've spent time in Swahili-speaking countries, and I've seen a bit of Transformers on TV. I don't get the comparison.

Of course on the other hand being a good movie does not make a success. For example I think Jackson's King Kong was a better movie than Kong Skull Island, (and so did critics) but audiences? According to Rotten Tomatoes, Kong Skull Island ranks higher. Personally I enjoyed both ... but King Kong was definitely the "better" movie.
Jackson's King Kong was too long for audiences. When I went to see it, the cinema had an interlude half way through it. Casual audiences don't have the patience for long movies such as these, which probably explains the audience reaction to Kong Island (which is, in itself, part of a wider franchise with Godzilla these days).

Peter Jackson has made, for me, the perfect trilogy in Lord of the Rings. However, his approach doesn't work for all movies I feel. The Hobbit suffered from being overlong and 'epic', when it's source was just a quite light hearted children's book romp. The same is true of King Kong really. The original was just a slightly exploitative monster movie romp, without all the deep romance, heavy character backstory and themed nuance that Jackson was attempting to bring to it. It was also about half the length.

We all know that what terms like "good movie" and "bad movie" are subjective. They are individual opinions that are going to be based upon personal views.

Now, "successful" and "unsuccessful" are terms that apply much better to business ventures. And main stream movies are business ventures. Very few if any people would spend ten or hundreds of millions of dollars in a movie if they did not think it would make more money than it costs.

If you wanted to get a moral message across to the public, and advertising campaign would be a much better use of the money.

Interesting tidbit: big budget movies seem to be getting worse over time.

Not that it has much relevance to a movie that won't be released for years, but the gist of the article is that big budget movies are pretty bad. And Michael Bay movies, even though they are awful, make a lot of money.

So what this really proves is that "critics" are becoming more disconnected from the general population. And their reviews and opinions are becoming less useful to the majority of people. This can be seen because the majority of people are voting with their dollars.

The least arbitrary means of measuring if someone likes something or not is to measure how much of their money they are willing to spend on it. If critics say a movie is "bad", but a lot of people chose to spend their money on it, which group is wrong?

Maybe neither, I think it just goes to show that critics are becoming less representative of the majority. (And yes their are a lot of things that could be discussed related to how, why, value, etc of such. But I don't plan to discuss them.)

"Better" in some opinions, obviously not in others.

Jackson's King Kong was too long for audiences. When I went to see it, the cinema had an interlude half way through it. Casual audiences don't have the patience for long movies such as these, which probably explains the audience reaction to Kong Island (which is, in itself, part of a wider franchise with Godzilla these days). ....

Which is more support for my view. And, if you are going to invest 50 or 100 million dollars, would you rather have a "good" movie that loses all that money, or a "successful" movie? Because a successful movie is going to have more people who value it, even if they are not the ones that vocally share their opinions.

Kaodi

Hero
I thought Jackson's King Kong was paced just right. I also never bought into the the drow as elves with skin the colour of black paint. They have always been dark grey to me, and I think dark grey goes far better with white hair and purple raiments than does pure black.

In any case, I do kind of think that if you want to do a D&D movie right one of the places you do not skimp under any circumstances is in hiring the best costume designer you can find, period. Costumes are not supposed to be just faux medieval, but they have to have both familiarity and their own style.

I have mentioned before in these discussions that I think Forgotten Realms is one of those places where it actually might make sense to go with the old "human from Earth crosses over into a fantasy setting" trope since that is literally what the "forgotten" in "Forgotten Realms" stands for. Ahem.

Have a protagonist who is a journalist in our world and crosses over. One of the first plot points is that her camera (or cell phone) breaks so that it is immediately apparent that if she finds her way back there will be no photo or video evidence of her claims. This gives the plot an allegorical basis on which you can then build out what is fantastic, mysterious, and sinister about the world. Probably do not borrow too much style or tone from Blade Runner 2049, but keep that movie in mind as well as Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor: Ragnarok. Because you will never, ever, get a magical world right if you think only in terms of "What is the plot line I want to film?" and not "What is the cinematic experience I want to deliver?"

I am going to be real interested to see what happens with Jumanji, because regardless if that movie is good or bad I think it will offer at least a lesson or two for a future D&D film. I mean, Christ, in the trailer they literally talk about each character like they have a character class. Which would be really bad to do explicitly in a D&D movie but it does mean you can look at those characters and pretend they are playing d20 Modern or something.

All this may be true, but Michael Bay movies still suck however, which is not something I'd want for any potential future D&D movie....
You're entitled to your opinion. Thanks for sharing it?

The million/billions ? of people who watch his movies apparently have a different opinion.

But, I've spent way more time than I care on this portion of the topic.

Remove ads

Remove ads