D&D Movie/TV New D&D Movie: July 23rd 2021

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

We already know that the movie will be produced by the Lego Movie's Roy Lee, that it will be directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). Originally scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), it's now being written by Joe Manganelio, might be Dragonlance and then again might feature the Yawning Portal, and will adopt a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. Oh, and that we should take everything I just said with a pinch of salt as the movie appears have jumped from WB to Paramount at some point in the process!

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
The Last Jedi has a lot of scenes and plots that ultimately don't go anywhere, and sets up an epic end battle which then doesn't take place. A future film is not going to change that.

We are bloody skirting around spoilers here, but, uh, did we see the same movie? What does happen in place of the 'epic end battle' is far more interesting and dramatic than the same old hashed out Star Wars end battle.

Mind I'm firmly on the 'I like it and it was a good approach to take to this dated franchise where 90% of the EU material produced was spinning tyres in the mud, going nowhere but making a big mess"

I'll say it again, I think making any comparisons to The Last Jedi at this point is dubious and, no, I don't want to discuss that movie in any way, shape or form right now on this thread. There are plenty of other forums and threads to do that in.

I disagree. A financially successfull, but crititcally reviled movie will enchange the brand. A Michael Bay-style movie would enhance the brand.

It would just show that the critics have no clue at all what D&D target group likes. But the critics are not the ones buying the branded product, the target group is.
I don't think the primary goal of any movie, including a D&D movie, is to attempt to defy or alienate critics in order to prove their supposed worthlessness in a divisive way. If you want to have that agenda, then that's up to you of course. It has little to do with the benefit to the wider D&D hobby though, or indeed about actually making a good movie to enjoy.

Oh, and there are a whole bunch of critics out there that are, in actual fact, also avowed D&D fans. I see no evidence that Michael Bay ever has been.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll say it again, I think making any comparisons to The Last Jedi at this point is dubious and, no, I don't want to discuss that movie in any way, shape or form right now on this thread. There are plenty of other forums and threads to do that in.
Got to agree with this. Let's not discuss Star Wars in this thread. It's a poor choice for an analogy for many reasons.

I don't think the primary goal of any movie, including a D&D movie, is to attempt to defy or alienate critics in order to prove their supposed worthlessness in a divisive way. If you want to have that agenda, then that's up to you of course. It has little to do with the benefit to the wider D&D hobby though, or indeed about actually making a good movie to enjoy.

Oh, and there are a whole bunch of critics out there that are, in actual fact, also avowed D&D fans. I see no evidence that Michael Bay ever has been.
Taking the view that not valuing or prioritizing critic's opinions is not the same as attempting to defy or alienate critics. It is simply taking the opinion that many critics (as supported by the previous link) opinions are not the opinions of the larger population.

Purposely alienating any specific group is of course (usually) a poor decision. But, not valuing the opinion or reaction of a group is not the same thing.

Taking the view that not valuing or prioritizing critic's opinions is not the same as attempting to defy or alienate critics. It is simply taking the opinion that many critics (as supported by the previous link) opinions are not the opinions of the larger population.

Purposely alienating any specific group is of course (usually) a poor decision. But, not valuing the opinion or reaction of a group is not the same thing.
But we should value all positive reviews - critics, audience or otherwise.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post

Oh, come on! Can't you see how Bay would do it? He'd be the only director where Fireball is used in every battle!

I mean, just imagine the opening scene. Instead of the door opening, the door explodes inward and the dwarf walks in. A small explosion propels a seat a couple inches back so he can take a seat. An explosion propels a beer to his table. He downs it and belches out another explosion. A window explodes open and the elf wizard leaps through...

hopeless

Adventurer
A shipwreck results in a group of survivor's joining forces so they can survive a dangerous journey to the nearest settlement.
For example an apprentice mage whose just lost her tutor, an aging acolyte accompanying his niece whose a novice paladin accompanied by a mysterious dark elven rogue who seems to have adopted the grief stricken mage.
To avoid the forces beseiged the city they have to brave it's sewers to get inside discovering the invaders have broken into otherwise secure vaults underneath the city.
Forging bonds as they explored they eventually manage to thwart the invaders plan to steal the city's main defence an artefact resembling a crown.
Narrowly vanquishing their foes and emerging within the city.
Immediately arrested they're briefly jailed until the Guard Captain releases them having found they told the truth.
He asks for their help resulting in them approaching the mage academy discovering they were wiped out by an Alienist Mage responsible for releasing a literal spellplague on the area.
This leads them to a graveyard seeking out an order of death priests ending up fighting a green dragon sent to eliminate the priests to allow a lich to raise an undead army.
Ultimately they race back as another raid on the vaults is successful but for some unknown reason the artefact has developed a link to the mage allowing them to track it down and retrieve it.
It's revealed the mage is the rightful heir but she isn't interested but it still makes her a target by the city ruler who doesn't care she isn't interested she's a threat he can't tolerate.
Barely warned in time they flee the city the movie ending with one of them watching the city behind them slowly disappearing in the distance.
The twist as the credits end is having her wake up the artefact in her lap apparently she might not want the throne but it doesn't give a :):):):) about that!

Maybe a bit more humour what would you like to see?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Got to agree with this. Let's not discuss Star Wars in this thread. It's a poor choice for an analogy for many reasons.

The rule of thumb is that critical opinion will mean plus or minus ~10% to the bottom line: it is more lucerative to have movies that have popular appeal but critical approval, which is why film companies care and try to hit both. The DCEU movies that didn't have critical approval all made less than Wonder Woman, which wowed the critics. 10% is an awfully large amount of money on the line for blockbusters. The conventional wisdom is that even flashy blockbusters that are critic proof (Michael Bay) would make even more money if critics channelled more people to them.

It's complex: I'd be ecstatic if Paramount makes an intelligent and compelling franchise that also draws in a crowd. It's been done before, and can be done again. Time will tell.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Mirtek

Hero
I don't think the primary goal of any movie, including a D&D movie, is to attempt to defy or alienate critics in order to prove their supposed worthlessness in a divisive way.
And I didn't say that or imply that in any way.

The only goal of any movie is to sell as many tickets as possible. Whatever the critics say is worthless in any way that doesn't impact ticket sales. If the critics revile the movie but the audience floods the cinemas, then the critics simply don't matter.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And I didn't say that or imply that in any way.

The only goal of any movie is to sell as many tickets as possible. Whatever the critics say is worthless in any way that doesn't impact ticket sales. If the critics revile the movie but the audience floods the cinemas, then the critics simply don't matter.
But critics fo make a difference, in ways that studios can quantify and measure: that's why they care.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A shipwreck results in a group of survivor's joining forces so they can survive a dangerous journey to the nearest settlement.
IOW, similar to the cult classic, The Warriors, or 1993’s Judgement Night. That could definitely work!

[video=youtube;4GxSwUcm_XE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GxSwUcm_XE&sns=em[/video]
[video=youtube;HyB3R6561FM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyB3R6561FM&sns=em[/video]

In a similar vein, I kicked off a campaign with assorted, unconnected PCs participating in an island nation’s festival that was the result of it and another nation ending a 100 year war by signing a truce and sealing it with a royal wedding- actually the idea of the bride & groom, to boot.

After the big to-do, they all boarded a ferry to the mainland...

Which was attacked by interdimensional raiders who were essentially anthro tigers. The party acquitted themselves well before they were captured*, and were granted the HONOR of being hunted by the royals instead of merely becoming humans on a rotisserie.

As per the rules of the royal hunt, all participants were naked. The PCs were given a 6 hour head start, and told their gear had been randomly scattered about the island. If they reached the safety zone in 36 hours, they’d be freed. (Maybe not true.)

I used this to signal the beginning of the hunt...
[video=youtube;CntHnSx0L4Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CntHnSx0L4Q&sns=em[/video]

I have rarely had as much fun as a DM, and I got a pretty good reaction from the players.

* REALLY well- their dice were hot!

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads