D&D Movie/TV New D&D Movie: July 23rd 2021

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

We already know that the movie will be produced by the Lego Movie's Roy Lee, that it will be directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). Originally scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), it's now being written by Joe Manganelio, might be Dragonlance and then again might feature the Yawning Portal, and will adopt a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. Oh, and that we should take everything I just said with a pinch of salt as the movie appears have jumped from WB to Paramount at some point in the process!

I want the movie to be good. It shouldn't be that hard really.

But after the hobbit trilogy and more recently Ep 7 & 8 of Star Wars I expect a poor story, weak attempts at comedy but a bunch of professionally put together action scenes which people will condescendingly say "it's made that way because that's what the kids like".

There was enough good in the Hobbit trilogy to have made a worthwhile 2-movie series, rather than the 3 it was. And D&D fans would be lucky if this movie is even a quarter as successful as Star Wars 7 or 8.

Sadras

Legend
Seriously, name 10 GOOD live-action high-fantasy films.

1-3. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
4. Willow
5. Hallmark's Merlin (Part 1)
6. Hallmark's Merlin (Part 2)
7. Excalibur (1981)
8. Stardust
9. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
10.Dragonslayer (haven't personally seen this, but some of the reviews I have read speak well of it)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don’t know your 5, 6 & 8. Not a huge fan of the Pirates franchise, but I won’t disagree too much..

I’ll sub the first Conan movie, Legend, and Ladyhawke.

Sadras

Legend
I don’t know your 5, 6 & 8. Not a huge fan of the Pirates franchise, but I won’t disagree too much..

I’ll sub the first Conan movie, Legend, and Ladyhawke.

Danny I definitely recommend 5 & 6.
8 is based on a graphic novel by Neil Gaiman and the movies includes an impressive cast. Highly enjoyable and the score is great as well.
With regards to PotC - I included only the first one. I share your thoughts about the rest of the franchise.

I need to watch Legend and Ladyhawke. And its been a while since I saw the original Conans. Did not include the Hobbit movies - as I still have not watched them. I'm behind on everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

werecorpse

Adventurer
Star Wars 7 and 8 are good movies and I enjoyed them. Only the original is better to me. And they are much better than the mediocre sci-fi films some people seem to worship.

I would give Star Wars 7 a pass because despite the bad there was enough good, but Star Wars 8 gets a solid fail from me.

As for good fantasy adventure films I would add in The Princess Bride though not sure if it fits the category.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ah, THAT Stardust. Never knew it had been made into a movie. The live action miniseries for Gaiman’s Neverwhere was very good. And I hear good things about the American Gods adaptation.

Remove ads

Remove ads