D&D Movie/TV New D&D Movie: July 23rd 2021

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

We already know that the movie will be produced by the Lego Movie's Roy Lee, that it will be directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). Originally scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), it's now being written by Joe Manganelio, might be Dragonlance and then again might feature the Yawning Portal, and will adopt a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. Oh, and that we should take everything I just said with a pinch of salt as the movie appears have jumped from WB to Paramount at some point in the process!

Dire Bare

Legend
Not sure why they just don't do the Icewind Dale Trilogy. I'd buy the whole set and the extended edition cash grabs in 4K afterward.

It might have something to do with an entire race seen as evil, in part due to their dark skin complexion. With the exception of our hero, of course. Not that you couldn't pull off a movie based on Salvatore's Dark Elf series, but I can understand Hollywood's hesitance to do so. It would be easy to have things go very, very wrong.

Wulffolk

Explorer
My approach to giving a D&D movie any chance of success is to keep an open mind and have exceedingly low expectations. Only when the bar is set at the lowest point can a D&D movie be expected to surpass expectations. The previous movies did a brilliant job of setting up this one for success! How could our expectations be any lower.

With all due respect to Joe Manganello and Vinn Diesel, and any other Hollywood type that has any love for this game, hearing that Joe is writing the movie scares me more than a little. I am highly skeptical of actors trying to be writers. I am sure there are examples of that working out, like Good Will Hunting, but I am not holding my breath.

In the end, I have set the bar at the level of "Not Embarrassing". If they can make a film that I am not embarrassed to discuss with non-gamers then they will have succeeded in my eyes.

The best case scenario would be a LotR style epic trilogy based on the original DragonLance character's. They had enough character's that everybody could find one that appealed to them. They covered many of the fantasy tropes with good grace, and Draconians could make for some memorable movie enemies if done right. That would distinguish the D&D movie some from the standard Elves&Orcs fantasy setting. Whatever they do, the movie must be related to dragons in some way, but hopefully just setting the stage for a 3rd movie showdown with a dragon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mercurius

Legend
Maybe it is time to start casting (again) the Dragonlance movies:

Tanis: Viggo Mortensen
Caramon: Andy Serkis
Raistlin: Andy Serkis
Laurana: Orlando Bloom
Sturm: Eddard Stark
Riverwind: The Grumpy Rohah dude, aka Karl Urban
Goldmoon: Miranda Otto
Tasslehoff: Elijah Wood
Flint: John Rhys-Davies
Kitiara: Someone really sexy
Fizban: Ian McKellan
All Dragons: Andy Serkis
All Draconians: Andy Serkis
Gully Dwarves: Merry and Pippin
Lord Soth: Christopher Lee's disembodied voice

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Maybe it is time to start casting (again) the Dragonlance movies:

Tanis: Viggo Mortensen
Caramon: Andy Serkis
Raistlin: Andy Serkis
Laurana: Orlando Bloom
Sturm: Eddard Stark
Riverwind: The Grumpy Rohah dude, aka Karl Urban
Goldmoon: Miranda Otto
Tasslehoff: Elijah Wood
Flint: John Rhys-Davies
Kitiara: Someone really sexy
Fizban: Ian McKellan
All Dragons: Andy Serkis
All Draconians: Andy Serkis
Gully Dwarves: Merry and Pippin
Lord Soth: Christopher Lee's disembodied voice

I actually think Andy Serkis would make a fine Goldmoon as well.

I wouldn't be averse to seeing at least some cameos from gamer actors like those seen in Critical Role, or Will Wheaton/Felicia Day perhaps. But it shouldn't be a distraction from just getting the best possible casting, writers, directors, etc. If we have (yet another) unpopular, bad D&D movie it will be a disaster really.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Nope. No silly dance offs, no 12% plans, no fish out of water characters. Irony and wit, yes, but not silliness.

Sounds boring. No thanks.

Pretty much any funny movie, whether it’s a comedy or just a drama/action/whatever with humor, has some level of silliness.

Oofta

Legend
I do have to say that I think a DragonLance movie would be a better idea than an FR movie for several reason. The draconians distinguish it from Tolkien, and kender are more unique than halflings.

But a big issue with FR/Drizz't would be how to do the drow and not make it look like someone doing blackface. Yes, drow are based on norse mythology, but I think having any actor with their face painted black is going to be controversial at best.

DM Howard

Explorer
The handling of the Dragonlance animated movie makes me very hesitant to want a motion picture in Krynn ever again. I think FR would be the best choice because if you read passed the "front cover" of the setting, it is much more than a more high fantasy Greyhawk/Middle Earth. But if we are throwing wishes at the wall, I'd love to see a proper Mystara movie! :)

Drow are not really based on Norse mythology. If you are talking about the mention of Dark Elves in the Eddas, that is quite the leap besides the names being the same.

Remove ads

Remove ads