D&D Movie/TV New D&D Movie: July 23rd 2021

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

We already know that the movie will be produced by the Lego Movie's Roy Lee, that it will be directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). Originally scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), it's now being written by Joe Manganelio, might be Dragonlance and then again might feature the Yawning Portal, and will adopt a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. Oh, and that we should take everything I just said with a pinch of salt as the movie appears have jumped from WB to Paramount at some point in the process!

Wulffolk

Explorer
But a big issue with FR/Drizz't would be how to do the drow and not make it look like someone doing blackface. Yes, drow are based on norse mythology, but I think having any actor with their face painted black is going to be controversial at best.

If they were to pursue a live-action verson of Drizz't I think they would need to lighten the skin-tone to a dark shade of gray so that the audience could better read his facial expressions. However, I don't think that Drizz't is a good choice for leading character of D&D's media flagship. The less human the main character is the less relateable he will be to the general audience. The cast of DragonLance has many more relateable characters for a wider audience.

If they do do a Dragonlance series (and I would be perfectly fine with that, as it would translate to the big screen pretty well), they would need to do something about Goldmoon and Riverwind after the first novel, since they fade to virtual non-entities with no real conflict or room for growth after their marriage, unlike just about every other character.

Wulffolk

Explorer
If they do do a Dragonlance series (and I would be perfectly fine with that, as it would translate to the big screen pretty well), they would need to do something about Goldmoon and Riverwind after the first novel, since they fade to virtual non-entities with no real conflict or room for growth after their marriage, unlike just about every other character.

Play up the tension between Goldmoon and Elistan?
Let them fade into the background and focus on more interesting and active character's?
They were two of my least favorite characters anyways.

I want to see Danny Devito as Fewmaster Toede.

How much screen time should we give to Ebon Shatterstone?

Maybe the love story between Gilthanas and Silvara could become a spin-off?

The death of Sturm Brightblade at the hands of Kitiara, and Laurana finding his body would make for an awesome scene.

Juomari Veren

Adventurer
Good choice moving away from that Johnson person, those Titans movies were dreck. I'm glad they went with Manganelio, he's a good D&D player, good actor, and he's reliable for the brand thus far as Arkhan the Cruel. Choice of director is still leaving a bad taste in my mouth given his past work but his most recent film (Captain Underpants) is actually very good and oddly faithful to its source material, so maybe there's an upward trend to be had in his career.

All I can hope for now is that the cast and crew are forced to play a few sessions of D&D to get a feel for the game. If nothing it'd be good promotional material to watch/listen to all these people playing for what may be their first time. The setting isn't a big deal for me but I'd suspect that they're going to aim to make the game reflect the movie than make the movie reflect the game, so I'll expect the movie to inform the adventure and not the other way around. But with all this talk of Planescape in certain published and promotional materials, I suspect where the story takes place won't be such a big problem.

I think it will be a new story set in the Realms. Using any of the other settings or characters means they have to share profits and get licensing agreements with more players. I don't think they will make it harder on themselves and try and do that.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
What movie are you talking about? The one that came in second for opening weekend sales? The one where the movie sales went up over the weekend? The one with a metascore of 86 on IMDB and a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes? All I can say is that I think TLJ was one of the best star wars movie to date, so expect opinions to vary. But I really don't want to get into that, you're entitled to your opinion.

As far as a D&D movie, there's a fair amount of silliness in D&D that we just kind of accept (especially things from 4E like Genasi and Shardminds, although Tabaxi are right up there). Some movies embrace that silliness ala Guardians of the Galaxy (a talking raccoon? Really?) while others try to be overly serious about it (the WOW movie, like I mentioned before).

I agree with most of this, but I’m not sure i see the sillyness in Tabaxi or Genasi. Also, Genasi aren’t a 4e thing.

Hell, even shardmind aren’t silly by any normal definition of silly that I’m aware of. Odd? Sure, but not silly by any means.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Play up the tension between Goldmoon and Elistan?
Let them fade into the background and focus on more interesting and active character's?
They were two of my least favorite characters anyways.

I want to see Danny Devito as Fewmaster Toede.

How much screen time should we give to Ebon Shatterstone?

Maybe the love story between Gilthanas and Silvara could become a spin-off?

The death of Sturm Brightblade at the hands of Kitiara, and Laurana finding his body would make for an awesome scene.

The thought of the visual potential there makes me want Ryan Johnson in he director’s seat.

Remove ads

Remove ads