• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC New D&D survey from WotC as part of the 50th anniversary year.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Preferable to going to trial. And while I am sure the Pinkerton agent painted a bit of a picture, truth was the dude wouldn't have much legal ground upon which to stand.
I see WotC corporation as 100% responsible for keeping their own product under wraps. The Cannon family are innocents.

Here for D&D, we see book leaks all the time. This is normal, even part of the D&D hype and glamor. I believe they had no idea that goons would show up.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Again. It wasn't free. It was compensation for what he paid for the cards from WotC's snafu.
A third party, not WotC. And finding out where the SNAFU occurred, intentional or unintentional, is no doubt what they really wanted to find our, by hook or by crook. And to do that, they needed to get the cards to trace back the chain. Again, instead of being sued and brought to court, he was given an offer to trade and not have to go through court snd the whole rigeramole and cost of that circus. If he had responded to their earlier attempts, then nobody would have come to his house. Also, if he didn't let the world know he had this stuff at his house, nobody would have come to his house.

I'm not saying WotC was being super nice, but I see why this happened, since they didn't want "WotC sues their fan" as a narrative, but they aren't going to stand by either.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Here for D&D, we see book leaks all the time. This is normal, even part of the D&D hype and glamor. I believe they had no idea that goons would show up.
Yeah, I have no qualms about leaks, but being careful is part and parcel of that (or being given thw books by WotC for promotional purposes, which most of the early leaks we see are).

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
A third party, not WotC. And finding out where the SNAFU occurred, intentional or unintentional, is no doubt what they really wanted to find our, by hook or by crook. And to do that, they needed to get the cards to trace back the chain. Again, instead of being sued and brought to court, he was given an offer to trade and not have to go through court snd the whole rigeramole and cost of that circus. If he had responded to their earlier attempts, then nobody would have come to his house. Also, if he didn't let the world know he had this stuff at his house, nobody would have come to his house.

I'm not saying WotC was being super nice, but I see why this happened, since they didn't want "WotC sues their fan" as a narrative, but they aren't going to stand by either.
They had no grounds to sue him.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah.

The problem is, they seriously harassed an innocent family.
Not a nice person, yup. But acting legally, to pursue a security concern for an employer. Not pretty, not nice...but there wasn't anything illegal here, and that's about all I would expect from a private Investigator (not always a standard that would be met). Corporations do not take this sort of thing lightly.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Not a nice person, yup. But acting legally, to pursue a security concern for an employer. Not pretty, not nice...but there wasn't anything illegal here, and that's about all I would expect from a private Investigator (not always a standard that would be met). Corporations do not take this sort of thing lightly.

When WotC goes after LaNasa, I applaud. LaNasa has real culpability, real malice, and truly harms the reputation of every D&D player.

But going after an innocent family. This isnt good for anyone, least of all for WotC.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
When WotC goes after LaNasa, I applaud. LaNasa has real culpability, real malice, and truly harms the reputation of every D&D player.

But going after an innocent family. This isnt good for anyone, least of all for WotC.
Well, they didn't go after this family: they bent over backwards to not sue them.

Remove ads