• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC New D&D survey from WotC as part of the 50th anniversary year.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I gave WotC a positive rating. On the balance of things, I generally like what they do. Mind you, my main interest in them is how they handle D&D, and TSR set a low bar.
That's about why I put neutral: generally ,I think the cynical profit maximization generally works out for the best because at least it is normally competent.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I literally get accused of being a WotC shill on occasion, but I have a hard time imagining many people would say that.
I'd like to think that I'm generally positive too, but I can't bring myself to be more than "neutral" with any company that just fired a chunk of its staff at Christmas. On the eve of a Big Year. After they turned in big profits.

But I don't really blame WotC for much of that. It's Hasbro I'd like to shake my fist at.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That's about why I put neutral: generally ,I think the cynical profit maximization generally works out for the best because at least it is normally competent.
I gotta disagree with you there. I've seen my industry constantly kept down by cynical profit maximization - again and again. I find cynical profit maximization to be the cause of very nearly every problem in the world.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd like to think that I'm generally positive too, but I can't bring myself to be more than "neutral" with any company that just fired a chunk of its staff at Christmas. On the eve of a Big Year. After they turned in big profits.

But I don't really blame WotC for much of that. It's Hasbro I'd like to shake my fist at.
I don't really expect better of publicly traded companies: nature of the beast.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I gotta disagree with you there. I've seen my industry constantly kept down by cynical profit maximization - again and again. I find cynical profit maximization to be the cause of very nearly every problem in the world.
Well, I take cynical profit maximalization as the norm for a large company: the difference between TSR and WotC is being bad at it, or good at it.

Real change would require systematic change, above and beyond any company or actor, but that is well outside the Perdue of this forum.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
It is called enshittification and it is real: take a thing that people like because it is good, and squeeze it for every last cent until it dies.

Remove ads