D&D 5E New Errata Released For D&D PHB, OotA, Xanathar, and ToF

WOtC has published an updated Sage Advice compendium with updated errata for the D&D Player's Handbook, Out of the Abyss, and for Xanathar's Guide and Tome of Foes.

WOtC has published an updated Sage Advice compendium with updated errata for the D&D Player's Handbook, Out of the Abyss, and for Xanathar's Guide and Tome of Foes.

EU8WnNDU0AYY7VQ.jpg

https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/PH-Errata.pdf PHB

https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/OotA-Errata.pdf OOtA

https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/XGtE-Errata.pdf Xanathar

https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/MTF-Errata.pdf ToF

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I understand the importance of RAW and what WotC does. But I think some of you are just way to emotionally attached to it. It's just not that important. These are just rules for a game, and the first rule has always been, 'change the rules to fit your table'.
To me, it's the consistency. I've built characters around RAW only to have them shut down by DM's who arbitrarily make rulings so we can "have fun" but it's not fun having a player do the same thing you built your entire character around for free because of some "rule of cool."

The rules as written are important because they're written. They're a reference. We can defer back to them. It's the reason there's an argument with this errata right now; people don't like it when written things are changed because the adjustment feels abrupt and, to some, unnecessary.

DM's like to talk about session zeroing things, too. But it's rare for a DM that doesn't strictly adhere to the rules to not come up with a ruling made up from outside of the books in the middle of a campaign. I can't build a character around that.

Plus, there are some players who'll use the on-the-fly rulings to abuse the game, mostly unintentionally, and you make yourself seem amateurish at best when you rip their "clever solution" away from them when you realize their strategy devolved into "Let the wizard cast fireball with their highest spellslot then let them tiny hut in the BBEG's bedroom so they can do it again." Every single fight.

I just want to play a vanilla game, not modded to hell and back like one of Bethesda's open world games.

Envisioner

Explorer
This is probably an old errata, but why exactly did they nerf the elemental monk? I never heard anything saying that they were OP.

I would not call the change in verbiage in Elemental Attunement to be a ‘nerf’.
What is the definition of ‘nearby’ in 5e? 5 feet? 10 feet? 1 mile?
30 feet is concrete. Besides Elemental Attunement is typically retrained at the earliest opportunity.

Ruin Explorer, your reaction is priceless!

As someone, that also does not keep up on Errata, I have been surprised when later PHB printing versions have shown up at the table. The Sentinel feat in particular comes to mind.
What happened to measure twice, cut once?

I’m ok with a Revised PHB being released. Include the original classes, the revised classes that need to be made, and all the spells, from all of the currently published books. Hopefully this includes some fixes to the spells that stink.

While a big change, I would not call it as drastic as say 3.5 where Damage Resistance became a different beast altogether.

Evergreen forests need some periodic wildfires to maintain health. So do evergreen game systems.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
If I recall correctly (can't access my PHB at the moment), there is an imprisonment spell that includes soul-trapping as one of the options for how you imprison someone.

This.

PHB said:
Minimus Containment. The target shrinks to a height of 1 inch and is imprisoned inside a gemstone or similar object. Light can pass through the gemstone normally (allowing the target to see out and other creatures to see in), but nothing else can pass through, even by means of teleportation or planar travel. The gemstone can't be cut or broken while the spell remains in effect.

Envisioner

Explorer
I would not call the change in verbiage in Elemental Attunement to be a ‘nerf’.

I was talking about the fact that one of the elemental "spells" had its prerequisite raised from 11th to 17th, and another one was changed to an action instead of a bonus action. Admittedly not every elemonk will take those specific abilities, but even so, this change (which, again, is probably not new, but I never noticed it before) means that a monk which was about to level up to 11th just had one of his choices taken away, and another "spell" that he might have already had (I don't recall what the level prerequisite of that one was) suddenly takes more time to use.

I’m ok with a Revised PHB being released. Include the original classes, the revised classes that need to be made, and all the spells, from all of the currently published books. Hopefully this includes some fixes to the spells that stink.

Out of curiosity, what PHB spells would you say are bad?

While a big change, I would not call it as drastic as say 3.5 where Damage Resistance became a different beast altogether.

That was hardly the biggest change that the made. Dropping Rangers' d10 hit dice to d8s is a far more drastic example, as well as the Creeping Doom spell, and the dropping of the Slaad's random features, and things like that.

dave2008

Legend
So no Lichs anymore? At least in former editions trap the soul was one of the essential spells to turn into a Lich.
Well no, I mean their is the lich entry in the MM (not to mention ToA), so they have been their basically from the beginning of 5e. That is a very odd thing to suggest. Just because WotC hasn't detailed something, doesn't mean it ceases to exist.

Remove ads

Remove ads