D&D 5E New Feats Survey!

pukunui

Legend
Here's what I can remember of my feedback in the comment box:

Alert: I'd prefer if it granted advantage to avoid surprise rather than immunity. I don't like 5e's tendency to go "all or nothing".

Charger: Beef it up or make it something everyone can do.

GWM: Too easy to offset the -5 penalty. Generally banned.

Observant: I don't like how it only benefits passive scores not active ones.

Keen Mind: Mostly just ribbons. Needs beefing up.

Sharpshooter: As per GWM, plus I don't like how it lets you completely ignore cover. I want it to "downgrade" cover by one step - so you can ignore half-cover and count 3/4 cover as half-cover. Same for Spell Sniper.

Weapon Master: I commented that in my experience, if a player wants a particular weapon proficiency, they'll either multiclass, choose a specific race that grants it, or use the race customisation rules from Tasha's to get it. No one thinks this feat is worth taking. I suggested scrapping it.

I also said they needed to clean up the wording on some feats, like Magic Initiate (making it clear you can cast the spells gained using your spell slots) and Shield Master (I said you should be able to use the shield shove first so you can gain advantage attacking your proned opponent; why else would you ever use it?).

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I took this opportunity to sit down and read all the feats for the first time since getting the 5E PHB in 2019.

Overall, I prefer feats to no feats, but in general I think the feats are not very well balanced against each other, seem overpowered (to my taste, at least), and would work better with tiered abilities tied to tiers of play.

R_J_K75

Legend
The survey is literally titled "D&D Feats Survey" but the first question is, "Would you like to rate the feat material presented in the Player's Handbook?" SMH, Im not too optimistic moving forward.

R_J_K75

Legend
I took this opportunity to sit down and read all the feats for the first time since getting the 5E PHB in 2019.

Overall, I prefer feats to no feats, but in general I think the feats are not very well balanced against each other, seem overpowered (to my taste, at least), and would work better with tiered abilities tied to tiers of play.
Some are so underwhelming while some are very OP. Definitely not balanced IMO either.

Short survey this time. Rate each feat on a scale of crappy to great and whether you have ever given it to a PC or played with someone who used it on their PCs. And one single box to type in your thoughts for all of them. And then asks it you are a DM and DMed in the past year. Questioned are skipped if either of these are no/0%.

I gave them my normal feedback on feats. I much prefer the half-feats, where you get a +1 to a stat and a cool ability, and thought the ones they gave us in a past UA were good.

I also made sure to check "dissatisfied" on all the overpowered/broken feats, as they are the ones most likely to be banned at my tables.

Edit: looks like @darjr made his thread on this exactly one minute before yours, so I guess this one will be merged in with his.

Remove ads