• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NEW Immortals Handbook - Ascension thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalanyr

Explorer
From what I've seen so far, I'm actually worried that your rules over favour a warrior. It seems like its going to be pointless to try to build a caster/ability-user type. It seems like a warrior type is going to be able to soak the entirety of your damage (as well as save against any non-damaging effect on a 2 or more), close and beat you to death with his bare hands before you make a dent in his HP totals.

Pssthpok

First Post
Kalanyr said:
From what I've seen so far, I'm actually worried that your rules over favour a warrior. It seems like its going to be pointless to try to build a caster/ability-user type. It seems like a warrior type is going to be able to soak the entirety of your damage (as well as save against any non-damaging effect on a 2 or more), close and beat you to death with his bare hands before you make a dent in his HP totals.

..ala VSCs... my point exactly.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Hit Points are relatively meaningless, EXCEPT, in physical combat. As the HARM spell more or less negates all but 1d4 hit points anyways.

If played properly, any core spellcaster would womp the turds out of any powerful fighter.

I tend to think too many people are forgetting that there are altenative methods of dealing with those who beef up their characters with virtual size categories.

Not to mention...

...most characters with high virtual size categories are traditionally mentally inferior, easily outwitted, and easily controlled with mind-affecting spells.

Kalanyr

Explorer
Harm does at most of 10 points of damage per level, to a maximum of 250 hp. Yeah, I really see that being relevant at immortal level play I does. Especially with its touch range, so the fighter can beat the crud out of you with even more convenience. And thats a cleric who's an averageish fighter, it does very little to help you know the actual caster classes.

Hi Kalanyr mate! :)

Kalanyr said:

If it looks a bit too 'fighter friendly' thats because I saved most of the magic-user stuff for the Grimoire. ;)

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Ok...scrap Harm...FINGER OF DEATH :) :) :) or WEIRD. Which are both quite nasty. Not to mention pumping them with metamagic feats.

Kalanyr

Explorer
Finger of Death is a Fort Save (so not the best choice on fighters especially in 3.5e where bonuses to saves are easier to come across than DC boosts), its also a Death effect (and Death Ward is such a handy dandy spell).

Weird is even worse, its got both a Will and a Fort save to avoid its effect. This is a mook-killer not a foe-killer (it might maybe take down a Rogue if luck is with you since he's got a ~50/50 chance to fail each save so a 25% chance to drop). Its also a Fear effect and a Mind-Affecting effect and to top it off its an Illusion so its eminently defensible (Paladins are immune, True Seeing and Mind Blank both gimp it).

And yes thats 3 spells but most sane epic 30th+ level characters will have all 3 on pretty much constantly via magic items and I haven't even touched on the insanity that is the Mantle of Spell Resistance 40 (which is priced as a non-epic item).

You seem to greatly overestimate the utility of offensive magic in epic level play.

Kalanyr said:
You seem to greatly overestimate the utility of offensive magic in epic level play.
Which is quite sad really, it's a shame that Direct Damage spells and whatnot become almost obsolete at epic levels.

-Gene

Hey Sokenzan dude! :)

SokenzanMarauder said:
Which is quite sad really, it's a shame that Direct Damage spells and whatnot become almost obsolete at epic levels.

Thats because direct damage spells and I haven't got acquainted yet. ;)

But when we do, expect some fireworks. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads