• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New leak looks real bad

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Yea. someone posted that link.

Also here is the user account on reddit. I could have sworn there was a thread on ENWorld too but I can't find it.

Note I have no idea about the latest leaks.
The leaked image that GeekNative published is from August last year. It has nothing to do with the OGL 1.1 controversy today. It is simply a plan that was already in the works last year.

Moreover, the leaks today that have confirmation from several sources say pretty much the same thing.

thats_a_take-png.272800

Both the leak from last year, and the leak today, agree:

• DnDBeyond will have tier.
• The highest tier will be $30 per month
• No homebrew allowed for the base tier.

Both the confirmed leak today, and the earlier leak from last year, appear coherent with each other.

Haplo781

Legend
I was trying to figure out who the audience is for the $30/mo tier: it’s those who pay for roll20, have a D&D Beyond subscription, and also support a few Patreons. It would only take a couple $5/mo Patreons to get close to $30/mo. I don’t think it’s a good value for me, but I can see how it might be for those GMs who already pay a lot per month for various D&D-adjacent things.
So literally 5 people?

darjr

I crit!
The leaked image that GeekNative published is from August last year. It has nothing to do with the OGL 1.1 controversy today. It is simply a plan that was already in the works last year.

Moreover, the leaks today that have confirmation from several sources say pretty much the same thing.

thats_a_take-png.272800

Both the leak from last year, and the leak today, agree:

• DnDBeyond will have tier.
• The highest tier will be $30 per month
• No homebrew allowed for the base tier.

Both the confirmed leak today, and the earlier leak from last year, appear coherent with each other.
Yes. It's also possible that they are being taken for a ride by some one using that earlier fake.

It's also possible that the earlier image wasn't a fake.

I think it's also possible that the earlier photo was a fake and the new leaks are not.

Who knows anymore!

Dang hadron collider!

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The Reddit account that posted the image of the slide, u/professorsecrets.
That probably means, the image by Reddit professorsecrets claiming a fake is itself a fake, or a spoof, or whatever.

By contrast, the leak today has credible confirmation from industry sources. The leak today is likely real.

Since the GeekNative leak from last year appears consistent with todays leak, that image from last year is probably real too.

mamba

Legend
You can certain if you want, but I am not.

As for 50M, it made press a year and a half ago, so it should be well over that by now. But for example:

You do not need to be certain, that is ok ;)

That is 50M players to date, ie 1974 to now, not currently active. I prefer my roughly 25M active, thanks

darjr

I crit!
Link to the actual tweet for those (like me) who want to see the original for themselves.

IMG_6864.jpeg

Yes.

Note I posted the above image earlier today in another thread.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I am a DDB whale, as I have a Masters account that my dozen or so players have all contributed money to for books for us all to use. We've got 90%+ of all player-facing content and some DM-facing content. (I use a third party setting for my campaign and a lot of third party adventures and modules, so most WotC campaigns have no appeal for us.)

I also have played World of Warcraft since launch day. (Actually before then, as a tester.) So I've been paying $15/month to Blizzard consistently since November 2004 (lordy), except for periods when I was flush with gold and the game time token was cheap enough to buy with in-game cash.

I cannot fathom what WotC could possibly offer for $30/month that would be worth it.

At this point, there simply is no AI that can run a better solo adventure than actual human MMO narrative and quest designers can make.

If I was jonesing for a VTT -- which I am not -- Owlbear Rodeo is free.

I am probably the lone person on ENWorld who was excited about the Book of Many Things, but even with that (which WotC should not count on me purchasing at this point), their published 2023 road map is a real mixed bag that I don't think anyone is excited about uniformly. Having that all come in a subscription, rather than buying five or six products separately, doesn't have any especial appeal.

So, if this leak is real -- and again, we're still a ways from being able to say that -- it's an exceptionally silly plan by WotC.

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
If the $30 got you all this, would you think it could be worth it?

1) Monthly Dungeon and Dragon Magazine, digitally. Not that thing they were using as a marketing tool with just a few legit articles, but the real old fashion things. Except they all integrate into your DNDBeyond Account and the VTT.

2) All your players gain access to all the stuff you've bought on DNDBeyond for their DNDBeyond accounts and on the VTT, provided your players have a $5/month account.
Is that the VTT that showed a player view animation instead of something useful like a powerpoint slide of features while it was talking about how it would include a really robust GM interface or one of the many VTTs we can install & use today?

Remove ads