• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New leak looks real bad

kenada

Legend
Supporter
All of that said, another lesson learned was "they can discontinue it". All my characters gone. All the content unavailable so I couldn't play 4e anyone. That was a harsh lesson not obvious until afterward but it should have been - WotC will drop all of your digital stuff once they want to force a move to a new edition and you won't be able to keep playing if it's all digital.
What WotC did to 4e is why I would never trust them with a digital-only D&D.

Staffan

Legend
(I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why DDB wants to limit who can generate free content for their site, but whatever.)
It sounds like they're afraid people will "pirate" stuff and enter it as homebrew.

Which, unless they make creating homebrew stuff radically easier, is BS. The time it would take me to enter even 1/10 of the stuff in a "stuff-heavy" book as homebrew is worth far more than what I'd pay for the book.

mamba

Legend
Leaving this from Dec 8.

not really comparable. The movie will look the same on any service, the VTTs are different. Apples and oranges

Clint_L

Legend
Because they're probably going to include language that any Homebrew you add to your DDB becomes part of a "Homebrew Library" that everyone can access and you get no cash from. Turning your labor (Both in creating Homebrew and integrating it into the DDB system) into free value for Wizards.
This has existed for years on DnDBeyond and is completely optional. It's great! Those who want to share their home brew ideas can, and those who don't, don't. It's as simple as that. And you can change your mind at any time. It's simple. Mostly I turn sharing off because I'm not interested in other folks home brew stuff, but it's a cool option.

It also makes doing some of your own home brew relatively easy (if you base it on existing stuff it is easy; if you want to make it completely from scratch it gets harder and I haven't done the latter so am no expert. But let's say you want an Ogre leader for the upcoming fight, and you want to make them tougher, and maybe add some legendary abilities to keep the fight interesting. You can use the official WotC ogre as your template and make tweaks to it as desired, rename it, keep it private or make it public, and it is then available for you to use, including in the encounter builder. In combat, your home brew is tracked just like official WotC stuff, and I can quickly glance at it to remind myself what it can do, ect.

I am terrible at tech and I do stuff like that all the time; I expect there are millions of home brew things on DDB that folks are currently using. I cannot emphasize how much time DDB saves me on a weekly basis because of features like this.

Last edited:

Goemoe

Explorer
It is beyond me how anybody who plays pnp and mmos is even trying to compare the pricing. This is like comparing leisure walks to professional racing. Most pnpers I know play roleplaying games once or twice a month, while those mmo buddies log in daily and spend too much time in worlds created by hundreds of people over years on a daily basis. Nothing an online ruleset can offer will ever be legit to comepare to this. Whoever thought this up by Hasbro should try to play both first for some time. I doubt s/he ever had.

mamba

Legend
Not sure that follows. It's not about need. They want to control what goes into the VTT. Their stuff, their game, their bug reports and team working them out. Their integration of rules into the platform, all working with their VTT.
what does this have to do with anything at all? They can do so, regardless of what OGL exists and regardless of whether you can play D&D on other VTTs

It either is actually superior and people will want to pay to use it, or it is not and it will fail.
that was my point…

I don't think limiting it to D&D will be the key factor in that.
no idea where this comes from either

kenada

Legend
Supporter
It is beyond me how anybody who plays pnp and mmos is even trying to compare the pricing. This is like comparing leisure walks to professional racing. Most pnpers I know play roleplaying games once or twice a month, while those mmo buddies log in daily and spend too much time in worlds created by hundreds of people over years on a daily basis. Nothing an online ruleset can offer will ever be legit to comepare to this. Whoever thought this up by Hasbro should try to play both first for some time. I doubt s/he ever had.
WotC also has two D&D MMOs (DDO and Neverwinter). If they want to get people paying to play in AI-run campaigns, I wonder if those games’ futures are in jeopardy. Why pay when you could play those for free?

not really comparable. The movie will look the same on any service, the VTTs are different. Apples and oranges
Well, I was in agreement with your point, so I'm not sure where that leaves us. I'd like to see Wizards simply out-compete other VTT platforms. I don't think they're going to do that. I don't think they will continue their licenses with Roll20, et al.

Remove ads