• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New leak looks real bad

OB1

Jedi Master
So the question becomes what would I expect for $30 a month subscription?

I think for starters:

All content unlocked
The ability to edit/modify official content for your campaign.
The ability to create additional content for your campaign.
VTT that is even easier to use than Roll20 for an IT-hand-capped individual like me.
Obsidian Portal like-platform for one's campaign worlds.
I'd actually expect this for $20 per month. Not sure what else I'd need to get to $30, maybe physical copies of new releases if you sign up for the year (not that I expect that to happen).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It's ok to have a legitimate opinion on a product with incomplete information.

It's not ok to have a strong opinion of a product with almost no information but price.
This strikes me as bordering on being self-contradictory; there are plenty of people for whom price can be a make-or-break point unto itself, regardless of the services offered, and even if the services turn out to be worthwhile for that much, it falls under the "change our minds as more information is released" caveat.

I'd actually expect this for $20 per month. Not sure what else I'd need to get to $30, maybe physical copies of new releases if you sign up for the year (not that I expect that to happen).
Yeah I said for starters, but you may be right. So doing the math...

I just checked my Obsidian Portal charge is $50 per year not $40 as I previously stated.
Roll20 is $5 to $10 per month according to google. So high end is $120 per year with all the features.
D&D Beyond if $6 per month for the Master Subscription but this doesn't include new content I believe. So $72 per year.

So far we have $120 + $72 + $50 = $242

Content released in 2022 with cost are as follows (someone correct me where I may have made an error here)
  • Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse - $29.99
  • Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep - $29.99
  • Journeys through the Radiant Citadel - $29.99
  • The Radiant Citadel - Free
  • Spelljammer: Adventures in Space - $49.99
  • Monstrous Compendium Volume I: Spelljammer Monsters - Free
  • Monstrous Compendium Volume II: Dragonlance Monsters - Free
  • Dragonlance Shadow of the Dragon Queen $29.99

Content total cost = $169.95 (rounded up to $170)

Therefore $242 + $170 = $412
Subscription is $30 monthly, annually $360
Discount received is $52, the down side being you may also be paying for content you have no need for.

EDIT: The discount is $2 if the subscription does not include a platform that caters for Obsidian Portal-like features. I'm not sure what platforms of a similar nature charge. So results could vary.

Last edited:

clearstream

(He, Him)
Ok all, I get it, we are all on the WOTC = evil train right now, but if your going to listen to the leaks, you have to take them at full value.

The leak said this is the HIGHEST TIER, and includes monthly content drops. So....that's a wait and see, what do other structures look like, is there a free version, is the $30 per month just glistening with content....we simply do not know.

Lets be clear, in the age of streaming, OF COURSE WOTC is going to try to setup more monthly subscription money, they would be IDIOTS not to. That is where the corporate bread is buttered nowadays, and it potentially frees them from the cycle of endless editions in order to sell books. So if your getting mad at them for that....sorry but your living in the past.

Ultimately the devil will be in the details. If they offer you several reasonable options and people choose a lesser one, great. Maybe the $30 option will be amazing, and worth the money....maybe it won't (in which case, of course don't buy it). But to say the meer idea of this is rotten at the core....sorry that is completely jumping the gun.
I think my FLGS sold most 5e books at $50-60. There were I think five or so published last year. Add in some specialty dice, battlemaps, figures, a VTT sub. Most likely, the top tier of D&D spenders exceed $300 per year. It probably doesn't hurt to spell out the calculation: 12 (months) * 30 (dollars) = 360 (dollars.) @AnotherGuy's post just above lays this out well.

Do I need to spend that much to enjoy D&D? Not really. Could I, were I deeply engaged with the game? Yes. A digital business model that is being replicated across the games industry is what is called a "cloud ladder" strategy: essentially, have worthwhile products at price-points for your whole audience. From free or a few dollars, up to generally a few thousand dollars (or more!) per year.

Hence it wouldn't surprise me too much if there were a $30/month sub, that would represent good value to those who can and choose to afford it. But there will be other price points that represent good value (with less bling.)

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Yeah I said for starters, but you may be right. So doing the math...

I just checked my Obsidian Portal charge is $50 per year not $40 as I previously stated.
Roll20 is $5 to $10 per month according to google. So high end is $120 per year with all the features.
D&D Beyond if $6 per month for the Master Subscription but this doesn't include new content I believe. So $72 per year.

So far we have $120 + $72 + $50 = $242

Content released in 2022 with cost are as follows (someone correct me where I may have made an error here)
  • Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse - $29.99
  • Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep - $29.99
  • Journeys through the Radiant Citadel - $29.99
  • The Radiant Citadel - Free
  • Spelljammer: Adventures in Space - $49.99
  • Monstrous Compendium Volume I: Spelljammer Monsters - Free
  • Monstrous Compendium Volume II: Dragonlance Monsters - Free
  • Dragonlance Shadow of the Dragon Queen $29.99

Content total cost = $169.95 (rounded up to $170)

Therefore $242 + $170 = $412
Subscription is $30, annually $360
Discount received is $52, the down side being you may also be paying for content you have no need for.

EDIT: The discount is $2 if the subscription does not include a platform that caters for Obsidian Portal-like features.
You need to add $20 to each of those paid books.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
So anchoring works by starting with an outrageous position then seeming reasonable by comparison when you come down from your ridiculous starting position.

clearstream

(He, Him)
So anchoring works by starting with an outrageous position then seeming reasonable by comparison when you come down from your ridiculous starting position.
There might be an anchoring effect, but the strategy isn't focused on anchoring. It's focused on players having different levels of interest and wealth. If I want to have the premium (blinged-out) version of absolutely everything - and I can afford it - then there will be an option for me to do that.

I should add that to characterise that as "looking real bad" is basically nonsense. Or if it is not nonsense, I have some even worse news for you...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads