D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Shows Us The New Druid & Paladin

WotC has released the fourth One D&D playtest document. This 29-page PDF includes the druid and the paladin with Circle of the Moon and Oath of Devotion subclasses. Druid. The Druid class and Circle of the Moon subclass are ready for playtesting here. Paladin. The Paladin class and Oath of Devotion subclass are ready for playtesting here. Feats. Several revised feats appear here for your...

WotC has released the fourth One D&D playtest document. This 29-page PDF includes the druid and the paladin with Circle of the Moon and Oath of Devotion subclasses.

Screen Shot 2023-02-23 at 3.49.37 PM.png

Druid. The Druid class and Circle of the Moon subclass are ready for playtesting here.

Paladin. The Paladin class and Oath of Devotion subclass are ready for playtesting here.

Feats. Several revised feats appear here for your feedback, with more revised feats coming in future articles.

Spells. More spells are ready for playtesting, with a focus on smite spells, Find Familiar, and Find Steed.

Rules Glossary. The rules glossary has been updated again and supersedes the glossary in previous Unearthed Arcana articles. In this document, any underlined term in the body text appears in that glossary, which defines game terms that have been clarified or redefined for this playtest or that don’t appear in the 2014 Player’s Handbook.

nevin

Hero
I think thier last few books were content light, and most people didn't buy them. Now they want more revenue. I don't blame them but there are several 3rd party publishers that put out better content than they do. That's thier real problem. Who knows maybe movies will become a big enough revenue stream they'll quit changing editions.....we can hope.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It has for me. I think most changes are good, but need fine tuning.
Currently nothing has changed.

Btw:
How did you call it, when you upgraded windows 7 to windows 8?
It was certainly not an upgrade by your definition...
Again, that's a change. Calling it an upgrade is inserting your opinion, and doing so as fact if you don't call it out as such.

nevin

Hero
I go farther than that. 2e Dark Sun was a separate game masquerading as a D&D supplement because they chose not to make a proper separate PHB for it. So little of the 2e Core Rules apply to it, that it was more like a d20 spinoff game (like Star Wars) to 3e than an actual D&D setting.

That's why it bothers me when people say they want settings in D&D to be as wildly different as 2e settings were. They really want every setting to reprint a new version of the Cleric with wildly different abilities and power levels? Where you can't use Xanathar or Tasha's because it's options aren't accounted for is compatible? They really want every setting to be its own mini RPG that is vaguely compatible akin to WoD?

I digress. I just rather like the idea that options found in all books and settings are compatible and we don't need five versions of the cleric cluttering up D&D Beyond.
The only mechanical changes to the game were where it was located in the universe. Thus no convential gods and magic comes from life. Not really enough to call it a separate game. Unless we are calling Birthright, Greyhawk and a bunch of other boxed sets different games.

But I'm going to disagree with you. I want different settings, with different types of classes. My players get bored and want something different from time to time. But you have illustrated the problem that a number of people will always complain about any new product even if they never intend to play it. I'd guess 75% of the people who complain about things never even play them. For instance I've had at least 30 people tell me how much they hate gamma world. I think in 30 years I've met maybe 8 people that actually played it. Why were the others even chiming in if it didn't fit in their Wheelhouse ? luckily there will always be 3rd party publishers to fill the gap.

Again, that's a change. Calling it an upgrade is inserting your opinion, and doing so as fact if you don't call it out as such.
No. It is just using a common word. If you are offended by my use of it, still if it mirrors my opinion, I go with next iteration, which WotC themselves have used in a few places.

nevin

Hero
Upgrade: raise (something) to a higher standard, in particular improve (equipment or machinery) by adding or replacing components.

seriously? words have definitions, they matter in communication. windows 8 fixed things from window 7, window 10 fixed things from windows 8 etc etc. There are patch notes telling you what they fixed. Please use the dictionary when you decide to argue what a word means. Just because someone else who didn't learn the definition used it wrongly or rightly doesn't mean a thing.

That's why it bothers me when people say they want settings in D&D to be as wildly different as 2e settings were. They really want every setting to reprint a new version of the Cleric with wildly different abilities and power levels? Where you can't use Xanathar or Tasha's because it's options aren't accounted for is compatible? They really want every setting to be its own mini RPG that is vaguely compatible akin to WoD?
Yes totally, and I think the success of the 3PP content for 5E supports the notion that a lot of people want this.

nevin

Hero
That makes my head hurt. Ravenloft is far far more of a change to the DND setting than Dark sun ever was. But you do you and I'll do me.

Remove ads

Remove ads