• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Weapons Table Shows 'Mastery' Traits

The weapons table from the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest for One D&D has made its way onto the internet via Indestructoboy on Twitter, and reveals some new mechanics. The mastery traits include Nick, Slow, Puncture, Flex, Cleave, Topple, Graze, and Push. These traits are accessible by the warrior classes.

The weapons table from the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest for One D&D has made its way onto the internet via Indestructoboy on Twitter, and reveals some new mechanics. The mastery traits include Nick, Slow, Puncture, Flex, Cleave, Topple, Graze, and Push. These traits are accessible by the warrior classes.

96C48DD0-E29F-4661-95F8-B4D55E5AC925.jpeg

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I must have misunderstood, then. You mentioned save throws, and how damage on a miss wouldn't be any different. I thought that sounded weird.
It isn’t different. In either case you have two possible outcomes: full damage or partial damage, and a die is being rolled against a static target number to determine which of those outcomes occurs. In the case of fireball, the target(s) of the spell roll the die, and in the case of graze weapons wielded by warrior classes, the warrior rolls the die. I don’t understand why you would be fine with the former but have a problem with the latter.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
It isn’t different. In either case you have two possible outcomes: full damage or partial damage, and a die is being rolled against a static target number to determine which of those outcomes occurs. In the case of fireball, the target(s) of the spell roll the die, and in the case of graze weapons wielded by warrior classes, the warrior rolls the die. I don’t understand why you would be fine with the former but have a problem with the latter.

You say you don't want to replace attack rolls with save throws, but you keep putting an equal-sign between them.

The biggest difference that comes to mind is that one is a magical exploding ball of fire, the other is a pointy stick. It's easy for me to understand why damage might be inescapable when a room is exploding along with everything in it. But when you're jabbing at someone with an ordinary pointy stick, its quite easy for me to see how they might, you know...miss. Completely. As in, not make contact with anything, not force a response from their target, and not impress anyone who might be watching.

Some people in this thread clearly see it differently. I can't really speak to that; all I can say about it is that weapon damage on a miss doesn't really make sense to me. So I won't use it.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
You say you don't want to replace attack rolls with save throws, but you keep putting an equal-sign between them.
I don’t understand how “these two mechanics function the same way” is equivalent to “we’re going to replace one of these two mechanics with the other” to you.
The biggest difference that comes to mind is that one is a magical exploding ball of fire, the other is a pointy stick. It's easy for me to understand why damage might be inescapable when a room is exploding along with everything in it. But when you're jabbing at someone with an ordinary pointy stick, its quite easy for me to see how they might, you know...miss. Completely. As in, not make contact with anything, not force a response from their target, and not impress anyone who might be watching.
So, this is just a “martial characters can’t have nice things” situation? Plenty of spells can miss. Plenty of weapon attacks can miss. Plenty of spells can’t miss. But we can’t let characters whose concept revolves around attacking with weapons get to do that. Because that would be replacing attack rolls with saving throws? I guess?

Some people in this thread clearly see it differently. I can't really speak to that; all I can say about it is that weapon damage on a miss doesn't really make sense to me. So I won't use it.
Can you really not imagine the possibility of a character being skilled enough at fighting with weapons that when they swing a greatsword or shoot a heavy crossbow with intent to kill, they’ll always at least get a scratch in?

Pauln6

Hero
I don’t understand how “these two mechanics function the same way” is equivalent to “we’re going to replace one of these two mechanics with the other” to you.

So, this is just a “martial characters can’t have nice things” situation? Plenty of spells can miss. Plenty of weapon attacks can miss. Plenty of spells can’t miss. But we can’t let characters whose concept revolves around attacking with weapons get to do that. Because that would be replacing attack rolls with saving throws? I guess?

Can you really not imagine the possibility of a character being skilled enough at fighting with weapons that when they swing a greatsword or shoot a heavy crossbow with intent to kill, they’ll always at least get a scratch in?
I think this is the problem isn't it? Someone dogding a difficult blow might use up more energy than normal, sprain a muscle, twist an ankle, or put themselves in a worse position for the next attack. To say those things only exist if a specific rule says they exist as separate distinct things is a failure of imagination. I get that some people do lack that imagination but they could at least acknowledge their own shortcomings.

That said, the designers could easily put in an alternative optional mechanic since they know it makes some people rage, no matter how silly that is.

That said, the designers could easily put in an alternative optional mechanic since they know it makes some people rage, no matter how silly that is.

It is not inherently silly to have a different opinion.
It is just not the hill I would die on...

IMHO the whole HP and attack thing is so abstract, that DoaM mechanics are not out of place at all.

Remove ads

Remove ads