D&D General New Summary and Release Date for 'Dragons of Deceit'

There's a new Amazon Kindle page for Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's new Dragonlance novel...

There's a new Amazon Kindle page for Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's new Dragonlance novel, Dragons of Deceit with a release date of August 9, 2022.

There has been an older Amazon page for the book for a while, with a now-expired release date of July 2021. The existence of the new trilogy from the Dragonlance Chronicles authors was revealed in 2020 when they initiated a lawsuit against WotC for breach of contract.

dragonlance.jpg

The book description reads as follows (typos are on the actual Kindle page):

The first new Dragonlance novel from Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman in over a decade, and featuring fan-favorite characters from the iconic first two trilogies, Dragonlance Chronicles and Dragonlance Legends--books that brought a generation of readers into the fantasy fold.

Destina Rosethorn--as her name implies--believes herself to be very much a favored child of destiny. But when her father dis in the War of the Lance, her carefully-constructed world comes crashing down. Not only does she lost her beloved father, but the legacy he has left her: a wealthy fiance, and rule over the family lands and castle. With nothing left in the world to support her but wits and determination, she hatches a bold plan: to secure the Device of Time Journeying she read about in one of her father's books and prevent her father's death.

The last known holder of the Device was one of the Heroes of the Lance: the free-spirited kender, Tasselhoff Burrfoot. BUt when Destina arrives in Solace--home not only to Tas, but to fellow heroes Caramon and Tika Majere--she sets into motion a chain of events more deadly than she had ever anticipated: one that could change not only her personal history, but the fate of the entire world, allowing a previously-defeated evil to once again gain ascendancy.

Scribe

Legend
So they are going with some variation of Jim Butcher's idea for a reboot?

"But I was going to change things where Tasslehoff hadn’t stolen Flint’s knife at the beginning, or Flint caught Tasslehoff trying to steal his knife because Tass didn’t make make his pickpocket roll. So a goblin was going to have wounded Tanis and they were going to have taken an extra fifteen minutes to bandage Tanis up before they rolled into town and that would’ve changed the entire scope of the Dragonlance War. I wanted to start with that little incident and go from there."

Woo, bullet dodged.

I would have been some kind of tilted if they had chosen that point to retcon things. Heck, that scene is still one of my favorites!

"Besides," he said, "that dagger was Flint's!"

Absolutely sets the tone. :ROFLMAO:

Dausuul

Legend
They didn’t change the past in that story. They went back in time and lived through the past, and learned that changing the past wasn’t really possible on a large scale. Raistlin just became Fistanditilius or whatever. The world isn’t a wasteland because Raistlin saw what him becoming a god would accomplish (he still wouldn’t be or do what he actually wanted, and everything would essentially end) and he rejected that.
You left out where Caramon and Tasslehoff went to wasteland-world, then traveled back in time from it and showed Raistlin what he was heading toward, and that was what made him change his mind. "Test of the Twins" revolves around an effort to change the past on a colossal scale--which succeeded.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In terms of the fiction, this is not very promising. Does tie in well to my theory that WotC is thinking of doing a Curse of Strahd sort of hardcover for the DL modules.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
This seems strange that a young heroine, said to possess both wits and perseverance,, upon being removed from the cozy future promised by her late father, instead of, you know:
  • get a job
  • become an adventurer
  • try to win back some of said heritage
  • whatever

decides: ''...well the only way is CLEARLY to find a time-traveling artifact to bring my father back''

Dausuul

Legend
This seems strange that a young heroine, said to possess both wits and perseverance,, upon being removed from the cozy future promised by her late father, instead of, you know:
  • get a job
  • become an adventurer
  • try to win back some of said heritage
  • whatever

decides: ''...well the only way is CLEARLY to find a time-traveling artifact to bring my father back''
Wits and perseverance do not preclude emotional problems. Sometimes they just amplify the consequences.

meaningful glance at the aforementioned Raistlin Majere

Stormonu

Legend
I actually didn't care for most of the 5th age stuff either, but there's a principle involved here. I hate the idea of rewriting established history. Whether we like it or not, the past happened. The present and the future are our own.
Yeah, I skipped the Dragons of Summer Flame and Soul Wars books. Honestly, I'd pushed them so far out of my mind, I forgot they existed.

Dire Bare

Legend
Neither event you mentioned rewrote the past. Whatever happened, happened.
True, time-travel wasn't involved in the Chaos War and the War of Souls events . . . . but they had a drastic impact on the setting none-the-less, which some fans felt off-putting.

I'm not sure I see the distinction . . . . drastically change the setting with an RSE (Realm Shaking Event), or drastically change the setting with time-travel. It all still happened, from a certain point of view.

Time travel and alternate Krynns is on-brand at least, it's been a part of the storytelling almost since the beginning with the Legends trilogy. And Legends wasn't the end of time-travel on Krynn . . .

Dire Bare

Legend
Looks like they're gonna just reboot the whole thing, from that description.

I absolutely despise the decision, if that is the case, but I've long since resigned myself to this possibility. I won't bother buying thebook until I know whether this is the case or not, though.
Perhaps.

If they do a time-travel reboot a la J.J. Abrams Star Trek . . . . if they do a good job of it, I'm on board. It's all about the execution, not the concept itself.

Remove ads

Remove ads