Unearthed Arcana New UA: 43 D&D Class Feature Variants

The latest Unearthed Arcana is a big 13-page document! “Every character class in D&D has features, and every class gets one or more class feature variants in today’s Unearthed Arcana! These variants replace or enhance a class’s normal features, giving you new ways to enjoy your character’s class.”

The latest Unearthed Arcana is a big 13-page document! “Every character class in D&D has features, and every class gets one or more class feature variants in today’s Unearthed Arcana! These variants replace or enhance a class’s normal features, giving you new ways to enjoy your character’s class.”

B080A4DE-6E00-44A2-9047-F53CB302EA6D.png

Kurotowa

Legend
Thoughts after some reflection...

The debate isn't if Known Spell casters should be permanently locked into their spell choices. They already had the ability to swap out their spells. The topic at hand is if they should be able to do so more often, moving from "once at level up" to "once after a long rest".

Is this too strong? I don't think I've seen anyone claim that, so no. Does it tread on the niche of the Memorized Spells classes? My opinion is that there's enough of a gap between "change one spell after a long rest" and "change all your spells after a long rest" to retain the distinction, though obviously not everyone agrees. Does it break their thematic class mechanics? As I said earlier, I don't see locked spell choices as a core element of the class story. It may define the playstyle of the classes, but I'm a lot more open to playstyle adjustments, especially when it involves making things less punishing and more fun. Am I missing any other arguments against?

Also, let's look at this change in the context of the entire rules packet. There's Cunning Action: Aim to make it even easier for Rogues to have Sneak Attack every round. Fighters get Maneuver Versatility to let them swap a maneuver after a long rest, similar to what Known Spell casters are offered, and Superior Technique to make maneuvers more accessible to non-Battle Masters. Monks get new Ki spenders. Spell lists are expanded. This entire rules revision is about opening up options and loosening restrictions. As part of that complete package, making spell swaps easier makes total sense.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Does it break their thematic class mechanics?
This is the point really. Warlock and Bard are very fine with it. (In fact, I would say it would fit with the warlock very well). But in the case of the sorcerer, long term stability really helps to keep the flavor that magic is part of your being -a natural and core part of our being-. It doesn't have to be that you are locked in forever, but change slowly enough perhaps.

Why not have it be a single spell known that you can change every day?

Yaarel

He Mage
This is the point really. Warlock and Bard are very fine with it. (In fact, I would say it would fit with the warlock very well). But in the case of the sorcerer, long term stability really helps to keep the flavor that magic is part of your being -a natural and core part of our being-. It doesn't have to be that you are locked in forever, but change slowly enough perhaps.

Why not have it be a single spell known that you can change every day?

That single spell slot, reminds me of the 3e ‘empty slot’.

It makes sense for a Sorcerer to get an extra spell slot that can prepare after each long rest any spell of any level known. In other words, the Sorcerer can change the spell for the slot, each time when refreshing the slot after each long rest.

It is ironic that the 5e Sorcerer is more like a vancian caster with preordained spells. While the 5e Wizard is the spontaneous caster.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Man you really should learn how to just drop things when someone makes it clear they’re done engaging with you on something. It’s obnoxious.

If you are done, please feel free to disengage. However, that doesn't change either the 70% approval threshold for published material, nor that throwing weapons have been the domain of the Rogue for sneak attacks. The former is from Crawford's statements in regards to the recent UA, that's how this process works. The latter is abundantly clear from experience, both personal and in streaming. Now we have an option for a thrown weapon Fighter/Paladin/Ranger, and it might make it into a product. Time will tell.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
That single spell slot, reminds me of the 3e ‘empty slot’.

It makes sense for a Sorcerer to get an extra spell slot that can prepare after each long rest any spell of any level known. In other words, the Sorcerer can change the spell for the slot, each time when refreshing the slot after each long rest.

It is ironic that the 5e Sorcerer is more like a vancian caster with preordained spells. While the 5e Wizard is the spontaneous caster.
Not that I like it. My preference would be for sorcerers to have more spells known instead. Maybe put some limits like "can't cause or heal damage nor give or take a condition"

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If you are done, please feel free to disengage.

Is it just physically difficult for you to stop?

I don’t care about your opinion on this anymore. You repeating yourself 16 times while completely refusing to engage in any way with what the other person is saying, and then moving the goalposts, and then repeating that new goalpost over and over after I’ve made it clear I’m not interested in what you have to say, is gross and obnoxious.

Remove ads

Remove ads