D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild!

Wander into the magical realm of the Feywild with our latest Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild! Your character can be a member of one of the new D&D races: fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, or rabbitfolk. Which will you choose? Playtest now: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthedarcana/folk_feywild

Wander into the magical realm of the Feywild with our latest Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild!

Your character can be a member of one of the new D&D races: fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, or rabbitfolk. Which will you choose?

Playtest now:

45029A1A-E1B6-4BBD-93DB-33A363112735.jpeg

dave2008

Legend
Their attack reach is the same, going into the next grid square, but by virtue of being a Large-sized creature they take up a 10' by 10' area on a grid, or four 5' by 5' squares, compared to Medium and Small creatures that only take up one 5' by 5' square. So Large creatures can threaten twelve grid squares around them, compared to Medium and Small creatures who can only threaten eight at a time.
They are also threatened by more squares as well That is not a benefit to the Large creature IMO

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Am I the only one not concerned about the flying? Let 'em have heavy armor, they're either owls (And therefore heavy fliers) or fairies, which are magical. Mind I've never been worried about flight historically

I personally do also love the whole bringing goblins back to their fey routes as I do love goblins being more fey. Also, rabbitfolk totally live on the moon. Its just, where they live.
I don't understand the perceived need to limit armor for flyers. It can't be a balance issue, since there are many ways to equal AC without heavy armor.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I don't understand the perceived need to limit armor for flyers. It can't be a balance issue, since there are many ways to equal AC without heavy armor.
Kiting concerns and a lot of opponents are helpless to resist a flying ranger attacking pc. A negative to hit /bonus to save when a ranged attacker is flying rather than stopping to perch or something would probably help without the obvious attempts to code against it being avoided.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I feel much the same. I even think RP is helped by stereotyping, not every group has Critical Role style RP. Lazy shorthand can help. When players interact with a certain species, I am happy for them to have preconceptions about how such interactions will go. I would rather preconceptions be subverted than to have no preconceptions at all.
I agree though I think more species are cool as desired for various settings.

what I don’t like is a complete lack of limitations in all of this. It’s all too wispy, airy ungrounded.

I know some games don’t worry about ammunition or resources much either. I like some of these hassles and limitations to help ground things. Same with ASIs and other “hassles” that a lot of people are done with these days.

choose your race or species bonus don’t sweat the details...just get deep into “telling your story” is the r new hotness. It’s the way things are going.

I assume it’s driven by demand but the style no longer appeals to me.

rabbits that sneak around and wear leather armor? That sounds fun. I don’t think it’s always the content that turns me off newer things I think it’s the lack of boundaries to test or challenges to navigate.

I like options. I think there is value in them. I don’t think they should all be standard and assumed to be together. Folks will say this won’t happen unless you choose it but I disagree.

The new zeitgeist is player driven to the extent that boundaries are just headaches for people. I think some of these ideas are fun but in a mos eisley cantina appeal a lot less.

a fey campaign might be a trip though! I would buy a fey campaign book.

Remove ads

Remove ads