Unearthed Arcana New Unearthed Arcana: Psionics!

There’s a new Unearthed Arcana article out, and it’s all about psionics! "Their minds bristling with power, three new subclasses arrive in today’s Unearthed Arcana: the Psychic Warrior for the fighter, the Soulknife for the rogue, and the tradition of Psionics for the wizard."

There’s a new Unearthed Arcana article out, and it’s all about psionics! "Their minds bristling with power, three new subclasses arrive in today’s Unearthed Arcana: the Psychic Warrior for the fighter, the Soulknife for the rogue, and the tradition of Psionics for the wizard."

safe_image.php.jpg

In this 9-page PDF, there are also some new psionics-themed spells (including versions of classic psionic powers like id insinuation and ego whip) and two new feats.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The vocal minority doesn't trump research and business practices.
They can figure into it. You have a vocal, hard-core fanbase that hates on the latest incarnation of a franchise, it creates 'controversey' and negativity around it that keeps the mainstream away. Conversely, cater too slavishly to those elements and your line is inaccessible to the mainstream.
Happens with cult/nerd properties all the time. Marvel famously threaded that needle, and it's movie fanchises have been huge for a while now.
WotC has done the same thing with D&D, but, not without making some sacrifice to appease those elements.

What I don't actually know in this case is who the vocal minority actually is. It might be those against warlords and it might be those who insist we should have warlords.
Oh, they're both minorities, and both vocal. But the negativity and controversy of the edition war, to address it more broadly, didn't come from people liking it too much.

What I know is it doesn't bother me if warlords are included or not.
Good for you. We need more tolerance in this community.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
For reasons of Dark Sun, a psionic Sorcerer subclass would be a good thing.

I could also see a "psionic spell list." Psions get Fear (the cone) but arcanists have to settle for upcasting Cause Fear (a few individuals).
The "poor man's psion" already exists: a Wizard using Spell Points instead of slots, and carefully picking his spells for flavor.

I got the 3e Complete Psionic Handbook and was intrigued but never created a character from it. I like the concept as a way to create a unique-powered vilian.

paladinn

Explorer
The more I think about it, the more I think Psion is more suitable for a Sorcerous Origin than an Arcane Tradition. Sorcerers have no need of spell books, and metamagic can be applied to psionic "spells" as easily as to arcane ones. I can seen Psion developing similarly to the Divine Soul.

I have to ask: I've seen a lot of references to Mike Mearl's Happy Fun Hour. Did anything come out of that that was on the level of UA? Were any transcripts ever released?

The more I think about it, the more I think Psion is more suitable for a Sorcerous Origin than an Arcane Tradition. Sorcerers have no need of spell books, and metamagic can be applied to psionic "spells" as easily as to arcane ones. I can seen Psion developing similarly to the Divine Soul.

I have to ask: I've seen a lot of references to Mike Mearl's Happy Fun Hour. Did anything come out of that that was on the level of UA? Were any transcripts ever released?
Some of the HFH stuff was transcribed here: Mike Mearls’ Happy Fun Hour Classes

Sacrosanct

Legend
Sure they do: they suspended publication of game books for two years while they figured out the best way forward, a huge gamble that continues to pay off. They put new stuff out all the time for the community to weigh and judge.

Also, it’s literally the job of a project manager in a business to mitigate risk and maximize profit. It makes no sense for a business to take a risk on a project that has always underperformed and was utilized by a small portion of your target demographic.

They took some risks, sure, but it is bad business to take big risks unless you can absorb it failing. And let’s be real, after D&D lost the top spot, I can guarantee you that HASBRO was not wanting to risk having a project fail or not sell be utilized much. The business approach they took is a resounding success. Why would they change that business approach? Maybe when sales start dropping off, that’s when you take bigger risks. But not at the top of your product success. It makes no sense

Remove ads

Remove ads