D&D 5E New Vecna Battle (Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE!!!) - CONCLUDED

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
ah yes I forgot.
LOL I appreciate that, but you didn't have to pretend to forget just to make me feel better about forgetting lair actions... ;)

:D

I will need the ruling outlined in my 2nd spoiler.
No issues here.

4.3.12 (Ezabard) Ezabard steps back between Selossen and Vyrlim, upcasting arcane hand (8th level) floating above the misty floor below.

He steps back to his prior position, and moves the spectral fist to attack Vecna, hitting (Roll 11+11=22 vs. AC 18) for 42 force damage!

Crackling dark energy courses between Ezabard and Vecna, but Ezabard resists the power of Vecna (Roll 15+8 vs. DC 20).

Vecna utters a fell word and Ezabard takes 4 necrotic damage and disappears!

1657531301891.png

It is now Vecna's Turn on Initiative 12.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
4.3.12 (Vecna) Ezabard yells in pain (Roll 7+8=15 vs DC 22) and takes 104 necrotic damage as necrotic magic engulfs him!

Vecna reappears and Pyre, Ezabard, and Vyrlim take 11 psychic damage each. His bruises heal as he steps in front of Ezabard, Vecna stabs his cruel dagger into Ezabard! Vyrlim thrusts his shield to stop Venca, but Vecna bypasses Vyrlim's defense and as he is about to strike, Ezabard throws up his shield spell, only to have Vecna utter a dread word and the spell is foiled as Ezabard takes 7 psychic damage, and the attack HITS! (Roll 20,2+13=15 vs. AC 14) for 18 total damage (7 piercing + 11 necrotic).

Ezabard falls to the ground and Vecna strikes the unconscious gnome, hitting (Roll 16+13=29 vs. AC 14) and dealing two failed death saves!

UPDATE: With the changed result due to the added shield/dread counterspell reactions, Vecan is not moving away, but is only moving back 5 feet. (Ezabard is at 0 hp).

(Just for the count-down: Ezabard started the turn at 135 hp - > 31 hp -> 20 hp -> 13 hp -> -5 hp + 2 failed death saves)

1657572146096.png

@Smythe the Bard it is now Vyrlim's Turn on Initiative 2.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Oooh. I hate this guy!" insists Pyre, needlessly.

(BTW, I'm going to point out in case it goes unnoticed, Pyre's abilities:
Blindsense. If you are able to hear, you are aware of the location of any hidden or invisible creature within 10 ft. of you.
And
Elusive. No attack roll has advantage against you while you aren’t incapacitated.)

...Just in case Vecna tries to stab me while Invisible.

Stalker0

Legend
Also just a note on timing. It looks like you had the Enervation effect go off on Vecna's turn, but I think its fine if you want it to go off a little sooner on the lair's initiative, as normally enervation does its initial damage when the spell is first cast. It doesn't make a huge difference in this fight, but if we want to be "clean"

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Ezabard would have used his shield (which I believe will knock out the first hit). For once I have a reaction available!
Oh, you know I was thinking he used it in stepping back and casting, then returning to his original location -- for some reason....

It won't change the outcome, however, but I'll update Vecna's Turn to have Ezabard use shield.

Also just a note on timing. It looks like you had the Enervation effect go off on Vecna's turn, but I think its fine if you want it to go off a little sooner on the lair's initiative, as normally enervation does its initial damage when the spell is first cast. It doesn't make a huge difference in this fight, but if we want to be "clean"
The lair action is instigated on initiative 20, but takes effect whenever Vecna takes damage.

The 104 damage Ezabard took wasn't from that, however, in case that was your thought??

Anyway, I've updated it. Unfortunately, things are now worse off for Ezabard. :(

@Smythe the Bard it is Vyrlim's Turn on Initiative 2.

DragonBelow

Adventurer
Can you update the map,
Oh, you know I was thinking he used it in stepping back and casting, then returning to his original location -- for some reason....

It won't change the outcome, however, but I'll update Vecna's Turn to have Ezabard use shield.

The lair action is instigated on initiative 20, but takes effect whenever Vecna takes damage.

The 104 damage Ezabard took wasn't from that, however, in case that was your thought??

Anyway, I've updated it. Unfortunately, things are now worse off for Ezabard. :(

@Smythe the Bard it is Vyrlim's Turn on Initiative 2.
Can you update the map? I'm not sure where Vecna is after all the shuffling

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Can you update the map,

Can you update the map? I'm not sure where Vecna is after all the shuffling
Yep, I just did. He is 5 feet southeast of Ezabard now, just out of Vyrlim's reach. Sorry for the confusion. I had to repost it because I forgot to finish subtracting Ezabard's hp as I was making sure the calculations were correct (which, hopefully at this point they are).

Remove ads