D&D 5E Next (3rd book of the year) endless speculation thread

Scribe

Legend
Hyrborian adventures (Conan the barbarian and company

Hasbro knows Multiple Demographic Appeal makes them money but they will try to play the mature one safe to avoid a damning scandal. (a big fuss might still sell no bad publicity or something
Due to the latter, a desire to avoid scandal, I don't see a Conan type setting taking place. It just doesn't work for me, to sanitize it, for modern social media consumption.

Just give me Planescape, topped up with that old charm and nostalgia and I can ride off into the sunset before the next edition changes too much.

Stormonu

Legend
I do like Birthright, but I think it would do better as a board game.

What I would like to see come back in print is Greyhawk (pre-Greyhawk Wars), Dark Sun (pre-pentad series), Spelljammer/Planescape (I could deal with a mixed setting in that regard; while Planescape was strong, Spelljammer was a bit thin) or Dragonlance (War of the Lance). I think Mystara could be done if it is done as Karameikos or the Savage Baronies as the focus.

If Kara-Tur or Al-Qadim return, I actually hope they divorce the settings from FR and set them on their own realms. Both really have potential to be their own thing, rather than trying to hang them off the popularity of FR. Though I have become disappointed with Karu-Tur ever since I brushed into Rokugan with the L5R system.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Due to the latter, a desire to avoid scandal, I don't see a Conan type setting taking place. It just doesn't work for me, to sanitize it, for modern social media consumption.

Just give me Planescape, topped up with that old charm and nostalgia and I can ride off into the sunset before the next edition changes too much.
Also the Howard estate is licensing it to the folks at modiphius for another rpg with a surprising number of books

I mean the Hollow World from Mystara could be for a family-friendly version of sword & sorcery and fantasy petlum, like Conan and the Hyrborean age.

A Dragonlance version for all audences is easy to explain. The plot starts with a storyteller, maybe a bard, talking with little children (it is the birthday party of a noble lord's son). The audence can understand some details may be altered but the true canon isn't affected at all. My retcon suggestion is the seekers discovered the psionic powers. Tika can be darker skin but with natural red hair...(that happens in real life. Malcom X's nickname was "Red" because he was natural redhaired). But I also advice to avoid same-sex elf romantic couples precisetely to avoid homophobic comments, because this could become a unconfortable trope about "the end of the elf civilitation is near by fault of the lack of straight couples breeding new generations of children".

If there is a reboot of Ravenloft maybe there are in the rest of the settings, and the third continent of Krynn could be the joker-card to explain where the new elements come from. Maybe the crystal spheres are changed, like in the Sundering event, by fault of a multiverse crisis.

* To use public domain characters as Conan may be a double edged sword. It is better to start from zero with their own new franchise.

* If there is a reboot of Planescape, and now tielflings and aasimars are "core races", what about the other planetouched races? I miss the mechanatrix from 3rd Ed. Fiend Folio.

The art caption of Rhys in Tasha's Cauldron (she might be the first example of a Tiefling with hooves for feet, a rat-like tail and No horns in 5e) describes her as being a Guildmaster and not a Factol. So there's a chance that if there's a Planescape campaign setting in 5e, it's after the events of Faction War and Die! Vecna! Die!

Faction War it might be easier to have a timeline before that, but pre Die! Vecna! Die! which takes place after Faction War might be harder to have events before, as that adventure was basically about burning down 2e to make way for 3e. They tried to explain away the edition change with reality being rewritten as a result of that adventure. I think there's no going back on Vecna not being a God on any edition past 2nd. They probably could advance the timeline and just go with Monte Cook's "plans" for the Factions coming back but slightly different.

Faolyn

(she/her)
They'd need diversity to extend beyond just human races too. If the only races available were Human/Elf/HElf/Kender/Dwarf/Tinker Gnome, I don't think that'd cut it with people these days (which is not a criticism of anyone, note).
Don't forget minotaurs!

But actually, I have to wonder--the two MtG worldbooks have limited races. Do people have a problem with those settings? I haven't seen any pushback, but I haven't really been paying attention.

Don't forget minotaurs!

But actually, I have to wonder--the two MtG worldbooks have limited races. Do people have a problem with those settings? I haven't seen any pushback, but I haven't really been paying attention.
They have races that aren't just humans with pointy ears and/or of a different size, which is I think what is required, rather than a huge number of different ones.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Yeah. I don't mean Conan specifically, but a darker sword and sorcery setting with half naked people running around. :D
can't imagine where they could find one of
1615916616087.png
😈😈😈😈😈

Mercurius

Legend
I think this is a good assessment, though I think DL is a lot less likely than you do. If it was 2015 I'd say DL was about as likely as you say, but the idea that they're going to do a white people-centric (with all non-white cultures as "barbarians" no less!) setting in 2021 (part inspired by a religion which has its struggles with race, even!) after all their public commitments and work on diversity seems... unlikely. As I've noted before, Taladas might work, it's a vastly more diverse setting, but Dragonlance it ain't.
I think this could all be remedied. First of all, aren't Ergothians non-white? It has been awhile, but I don't remember as "barbarians." Other than Theros Ironfeld, they didn't feature much in the Chronicles but could be more prominent in a 5E treatment. The Que-Shu could use some work, but not as much to make them less "barbaric" but to change the whole "savages seeing the light of true religion" thing. They could be tweaked to be a vital, indigenous people that never embraced the pantheon of gods but have their own valid shamanic beliefs. This, of course, would change the substance of DL a bit in that the "true gods" thing would have to be altered a bit, or more ambivalent.

If WotC went full in and did a couple books (say, setting and adventure, with rules in both), there's no reason why a setting book couldn't include Taladas and Irda and Minotaurs as PC races.

I think as someone else said, the selling point of DL would/could be dragon-riding. A dragon-centric campaign would probably be quite possible, especially with rules for aerial combat.

I don't think gully dwarves are much of a problem because they really only had a place in the novels - no one was playing gully dwarf PCs, afaict. An RPG treatment would barely have to mention them, if at all. They could also be adapted a bit, with some kind of origin that disentangles them from certain associations. Meaning, maybe they are the descendants of dwarves that were cut off from civilization for millenia and devolved.

Kender...the problem is mostly/entirely table dynamics. A paragraph or two of player guidance should suffice: "Your curiosity leads you to acquire things, although you tend to be a faithful companion and rarely take from friends and, on the rare occasion that you do, give it back." Or some such.

Meaning, I don't see any of the "problems" as insurmountable - they could all be adjusted as necessary without changing the essential qualities of what makes Dragonlance distinct, or angering any but the most fervent traditionalists. Whether or not WotC does this is another matter.
Point of order: there already is a 5e Forgotten Realms setting book*. It may be not very good and limited in scope, but so far as WotC are concerned they have done that, and wouldn't count it as a "classic setting" - a current setting is not a "classic" setting, just as a 2016 Ford Focus is not a classic car.

*Two actually, Acquisitions Inc is technically a Forgotten Realms setting book.
Yeah, but...semantics. I interpret "classic settings" to be anything published before WotC's tenure - so everything except Eberron, Magic, and Exandria. If they said legacy, I'd agree with your take.

I really don't see the down-side of a full-blown FR setting book. Most importantly (for WotC) it would probably sell quite well, given that it is the default setting for most of the adventures. I can't speak for the young 'uns, but I imagine they want to know more about the world they've been playing in.

Remove ads