D&D General Next million dollar kickstarter? Wyrmwood Game Master Screen.

Argyle King

Legend
cool! Post photos if you do!

I will. Honestly, it may be a while until I get around to it. I normally don't use a screen at all, but I've been looking at adding a few accessories to help organize things more.

One of my downfalls as a DM (and sometimes as a player) is that my random scribbles and notes make sense to me but not to other players when I need to hand out info.

Currently, when it comes to screens, I'm debating whether I want something more analog or something with a digital component.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A 4-panel hardwood screen held together with magnets, and featuring various acrylic panels, accessories, and a dice tower costs more than $65?

If I recall correctly it is $65 minimum per panel. So, a 4-panel screen is a minimum of $260, not counting shipping or any accessories (like the dice tower) at all.

darjr

I crit!
While all true, and Mike is a genius in my book. He'll let you know he has thousands of dollars of miniatures and terrain and in fact got into trying to earn money with his hobby to fund his hobby.

It's not like golf, you can't buy a better game, nor is it like Football, you can't just buy a better team.

Still, you don't need a nice car nor a nice house nor a cool shirt.

Given, you can play for FREE.

That's not the point of things like this. Who is saying you HAVE to have this thing? Anyone?

While all true, and Mike is a genius in my book. He'll let you know he has thousands of dollars of miniatures and terrain and in fact got into trying to earn money with his hobby to fund his hobby.

It's not like golf, you can't buy a better game, nor is it like Football, you can't just buy a better team.

Still, you don't need a nice car nor a nice house nor a cool shirt.

Given, you can play for FREE.

That's not the point of things like this. Who is saying you HAVE to have this thing? Anyone?

I think it can be easy, especially when you first get into the hobby, that having more THINGS will lead to a better game. Platinum editions, special dice, the perfect terrain and perfect minatures, large TV’s set inside specialized tables, etc etc. I’ve definitely personally backed things on kickstarter based more on FOMO than anything else. Do you not agree that this is a phenomenon within the hobby? So while I’m glad creative people are able to sell their products, I think it can be helpful to make clear that the $500 screen is likely not going to be the thing that makes your games organized and easy to run.

They are both luxeries that some fail to recognize the effort and talent it takes to make them and, inmho, undervalue them.
That's not correct.

People aren't "undervaluing" them because they don't understand the effort/talent involved.

People value things based on the utility and prestige the give them. For a lot of people, including me, a DM screen for 5E, which I DM on a transforming laptop/tablet (even in person) is close to zero. And the prestige? For me? I'd feel none. I'd feel negative prestige, like a wasteful and dumb person (which I am, but this would just rub it in lol).

Especially given the pricing. These are about as expensive as laptop/tablet (in the same general "mid hundreds of dollars" bracket). Which is pretty hilarious I admit. But like, I could buy a whole new, additional laptop/table for the same price as this and get even better at DMing.

I do appreciate that, the prices are reasonable given the materials and workmanship. I'm not sneering at that, absolutely not. They're not gouging horribly or anything. But I'm not "undervaluing" them. They just aren't valuable to me, and indeed are ludicrously expensive (and I'm relatively well-off by UK standards).

darjr

I crit!
I think it can be easy, especially when you first get into the hobby, that having more THINGS will lead to a better game. Platinum editions, special dice, the perfect terrain and perfect minatures, large TV’s set inside specialized tables, etc etc. I’ve definitely personally backed things on kickstarter based more on FOMO than anything else. Do you not agree that this is a phenomenon within the hobby? So while I’m glad creative people are able to sell their products, I think it can be helpful to make clear that the $500 screen is likely not going to be the thing that makes your games organized and easy to run.
Ah. You still miss the point. I’ve not said any of this, has anyone?

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
That's not correct.

People aren't "undervaluing" them because they don't understand the effort/talent involved.

People value things based on the utility and prestige the give them.

People value things for a wide variety of reasons. People also undervalue things for a wide variety of reasons. One of them is not understanding just what goes into making some things. Or undervaluing that effort.

Now if you’re trying to tell me no one does, well I think it’s obvious that’s wrong.

Remove ads