D&D General Next million dollar kickstarter? Wyrmwood Game Master Screen.

darjr

I crit!
I have a friend who works as a welder at his day job. He has made a fantastic steel GM screen with magnetic widgets to hold character tents and screen inserts. He says he'll make one for me at a reasonable price. I don't really GM in person anymore, but having a hardened steel GM screen is pretty enticing.
That sounds amazing. It does make me wonder about your players though.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
That sounds amazing. It does make me wonder about your players though.

We're a pretty varied bunch. The regular Tuesday group consists of the welder as GM, myself (sometime game editor), a financial advisor, an insurance sales person, and a software QA tester. The Thursday group substitutes a music composer for GM.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I have a friend who works as a welder at his day job. He has made a fantastic steel GM screen with magnetic widgets to hold character tents and screen inserts. He says he'll make one for me at a reasonable price. I don't really GM in person anymore, but having a hardened steel GM screen is pretty enticing.

/insert pedantry about the definition of ‘hardened steel’…

This is the exact quote you quoted: "They are both luxeries that some fail to recognize the effort and talent it takes to make them and, inmho, undervalue them."

@darjr literally says "some fail" to recognize. There is no implication of "most people." Where are you getting that? It seems you are the one moving around some goal posts, unless there was more to the quote that you didn't quote.
The more to it is the context. You should go back and read where in the discussion darjr posted this.

It's posted immediately after a bunch of people suggesting the product was overpriced or of no little interest to them. The implication from that context is that they are undervaluing it, and that the general issue is undervaluing, and further, darjr has not admitted (AFAIK) that in fact, most people who think it's overpriced are not, in fact, "undervaluing" it or "failing to recognise" anything. If he wants to say that now, cool, but the context of his previous posts is pretty clear. He's consistently defended extremely expensive products and attacked people who have been critical of them or simply questioned their utility.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
He's consistently defended extremely expensive products and attacked people who have been critical of them or simply questioned their utility.

Mod Note:
Another thread in which you make it personal in order to dismiss a poster.

Don't make this a pattern. Address the logic of the position, not the person making the point.

dave2008

Legend
The more to it is the context. You should go back and read where in the discussion darjr posted this.

It's posted immediately after a bunch of people suggesting the product was overpriced or of no little interest to them. The implication from that context is that they are undervaluing it, and that the general issue is undervaluing, and further, darjr has not admitted (AFAIK) that in fact, most people who think it's overpriced are not, in fact, "undervaluing" it or "failing to recognise" anything. If he wants to say that now, cool, but the context of his previous posts is pretty clear. He's consistently defended extremely expensive products and attacked people who have been critical of them or simply questioned their utility.
This is the direct context of his quote that you quoted (as in this is the quote he replied to, that you then quoted):

"Game books are at least necessary to play the game. Screens are an accessory; some people like using them but they are not at all necessary. There’s nothing this screen does that couldn’t be accomplished with a tablet/computer, a regular screen and some clothspins, or indeed just some index cards."

His reply:
"They are both luxeries that some fail to recognize the effort and talent it takes to make them and, inmho, undervalue them."

IMO, the context and his reply are not what you claim. He has made no claim, explicit or implied, that most people are undervaluing things. He even explicitly states that it is "some" and that this is his opinion not a declarative fact. It seems to me that you are chasing shadows.

I must admit that this is frustrating. I am just trying to be helpful. I will step back and move on to more fruitful discussions.

darjr

I crit!
I’m not sure it’ll make 1mil at this point.

I wonder if they need it to?

Note they did make 666 thousand which just makes me giggle. Cause.

53F86C24-4494-4E0D-8285-69E5D5AFA1C9.jpeg

And note, I have not backed this. In case that wasn’t clear.

And yea, my eyes are bigger than my stomach.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Game books are at least necessary to play the game. Screens are an accessory; some people like using them but they are not at all necessary. There’s nothing this screen does that couldn’t be accomplished with a tablet/computer, a regular screen and some clothspins, or indeed just some index cards.
It doesn’t even look so awesome that I’d feel good about spending over $200 for a pretty basic set up with the most basic wood type.

Someday I’ll be able to set up a wood shop in a shed or garage and go to town, or I’ll find someone on Etsy doing similar work, and spend maybe $200, but I don’t even use dice towers or see much value in them, nor do I like the style of initiative tracker seen here…really it’s just the look of nice wood, and maybe the tablet tray.

I’m good.

Remove ads