D&D General Next million dollar kickstarter? Wyrmwood Game Master Screen.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They are both luxeries that some fail to recognize the effort and talent it takes to make them and, inmho, undervalue them.

Value is personal, and idiosyncratic. We can understand the cost required to make a thing - those woods, the tools and facility they use, the time of skilled craftspeople, cost money. But the fact that those things cost money does not automatically mean that the thing is worth $300+ to me, personally.

I say this as someone who has bought Wyrmwood stuff before, and am happy with those purchases. They do good work. That doesn't mean I think the thing is worth a month's groceries, to me, personally.

darjr

I crit!
Value is personal, and idiosyncratic. We can understand the cost required to make a thing - those woods, the tools and facility they use, the time of skilled craftspeople, cost money. But the fact that those things cost money does not automatically mean that the thing is worth $300+ to me, personally.

I say this as someone who has bought Wyrmwood stuff before, and am happy with those purchases. They do good work. That doesn't mean I think the thing is worth a month's groceries, to me, personally.
OK. Then obviously you are not among that group of “some”.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Honestly, it looks like 3 kitchen door fronts bolted together. Normally I really like Wyrmwood stuff.
Yeah to make it dimensionally stable they used a frame and raised panel construction, but the result is kind of kitchen-cabinety.

WAIT…was it Wyrmwood that used to spam Cubicle 7 forums with kitchen remodel ads!?!?!?!

People value things for a wide variety of reasons. People also undervalue things for a wide variety of reasons. One of them is not understanding just what goes into making some things. Or undervaluing that effort.

Now if you’re trying to tell me no one does, well I think it’s obvious that’s wrong.
I think you're moving the goalposts in a pretty funny way.

Some people under and over value things, sure, duh, that's not an argument or even a point worth making.

But you asserted why people were and implied it was most people who didn't like it, which is nonsense. Almost no-one is just "undervaluing" it, no more than those "overvaluing" it.

pogre

Legend
Very cool accessory, but for that price I could fill up my truck twice!

In all seriousness, I could see getting one of these, but I don't really use my screens for anything but holding maps and hiding minis.

The other thing that would make me hesitate is I used to watch the youtube series on their company - maybe I am way off here, but it did not inspire confidence.

MacDhomnuill

Explorer
Why would anyone back anything from Wyrmwood? Their last kickstarter is years behind in fulfillment. This isnt even near the quality of competors products for significantly higher prices, look at dogmights screens that have custom cnc carving and selective staining. Wyrmwood has been in steady decline since they bought a failing furniture company and have to keep running kick starters to maintain cash flow.

dave2008

Legend
I think you're moving the goalposts in a pretty funny way.

Some people under and over value things, sure, duh, that's not an argument or even a point worth making.

But you asserted why people were and implied it was most people who didn't like it, which is nonsense. Almost no-one is just "undervaluing" it, no more than those "overvaluing" it.
This is the exact quote you quoted: "They are both luxeries that some fail to recognize the effort and talent it takes to make them and, inmho, undervalue them."

@darjr literally says "some fail" to recognize. There is no implication of "most people." Where are you getting that? It seems you are the one moving around some goal posts, unless there was more to the quote that you didn't quote.

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I have a friend who works as a welder at his day job. He has made a fantastic steel GM screen with magnetic widgets to hold character tents and screen inserts. He says he'll make one for me at a reasonable price. I don't really GM in person anymore, but having a hardened steel GM screen is pretty enticing.

Remove ads