D&D 5E Next up is Fighter, what do you want from UA?

Lanliss

Explorer
It seems they are definitely going in alphabetical order, so next should be Fighter. What are you hoping for? Personally, I think that Fighter is pretty well covered, and the current subclasses are flexible enough to cover most gaps. Only thing I see missing, that someone else mentioned in the general UA speculation thread, is a Crusader 1/3 divine caster, which might be somewhat interesting.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Like you mentioned, I think the Fighter is pretty solid and doesn't "need" anything. Second Wind scales like crap, making amazing under level 3, so maybe that deserves another look.

For Archetypes, the only other one I can think of is a "Defender" type that is better at guarding his party. I would say a lightly armored "Scout" type could be an option, but I think the Ranger class covers that fairly well.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don't think the fighter needs a divine caster sublcass. That's pretty much a paladin. Gladiator would be cool, but that's pretty much battlemaster. They seem to be on a spirit thing, so maybe a fighter that uses spirits sort of like the barbarian or recent shepherd druid class? When I created my "classes of the Far East", I had a bushi fighter subclass that used Chi sort of similar to a monk's Ki to augment certain abilities. Maybe something like that? I also know they tinkered with a swashbuckler rogue, but I'd rather see an unarmored fighter variant instead.

And of course cue all the "where is the warlord" demands ;)

Tony Vargas

Legend
I see the Fighter and its archetypes as something of a lost cause, really. The game needs more martial options, but the existing structure of archetypes doesn't have the design space for them.

That said, more 1/3rd caster options would make sense: Crusader (1/3rd Cleric), Duskblade (1/3rd Warlock), Fianna (1/3rd Druid), Scion (1/3rd Sorcerer), Skald (1/3rd Bard), Soulknife (1/3rd Mystic).

And of course cue all the "where is the warlord" demands
Needs to be a full class. The PDK is already a 1/3rd Warlord (not really, more like 1/300th, but for the sake of symmetry).

Last edited:

Warlord, obviously.

Maybe some more feats, for weird things like whip-fighters or halflings who jump on your back and stab you in your ear repeatedly.

Perhaps they could make a formalized 'dueling' sub system, but that doesn't fit the style of 5e so far. It kinda sucks that in D&D you can't 'outfight' your opponent based on your choices, since all that really matters is how lucky you are with your dice.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If I had to make a prediction, I'd say we'll get probably 3 or so of the previous UA's 'Monster Hunter' / 'Scout' / 'Cavalier' style subclasses, which were basically Battlemasters with pre-selected maneuvers and a special feature.

And if one of those is a 'Warlord'... it'll basically be the same kinda thing-- Commander's Strike, Rally, and maybe a new featured maneuver. But with the Banneret already in play, I don't expect we'll see a 'Warlord' at all.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
You know what, how about a Fighter Archetype that makes Dual Wield a preferred option? Maybe a "Master of Arms" or something. But the core feature includes increasing the number of off-hand attacks OR increasing the defense (AC) while dual wielding.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Despite it's lack of balance, one thing I really liked about 2e's S&P were the options to customize. I'd like to see an unarmored fighter that in return for not wearing armor, you got a base d12 HP, and second wind scaled much better. At higher levels maybe you got advantage on saving throws vs spells, and a damage resistance of your choice, and maybe the ability to deflect some or all physical damage. Don't know, just tossing around ideas. The unarmored fighter is a pretty common archetype that doesn't really fit rogue or barbarian. Garet Jax anyone?

Lanliss

Explorer
I don't think the fighter needs a divine caster sublcass. That's pretty much a paladin. Gladiator would be cool, but that's pretty much battlemaster. They seem to be on a spirit thing, so maybe a fighter that uses spirits sort of like the barbarian or recent shepherd druid class? When I created my "classes of the Far East", I had a bushi fighter subclass that used Chi sort of similar to a monk's Ki to augment certain abilities. Maybe something like that? I also know they tinkered with a swashbuckler rogue, but I'd rather see an unarmored fighter variant instead.

And of course cue all the "where is the warlord" demands ;)

Swashbuckler was in the SCAG, so other UA classes going official wouldn't be hard to believe.

What's the likelihood that some of the fighter subclasses in the next article will have Superiority Die, and use them in limited and unsatisfying ways when compared to the great subclass that is the Battlemaster?

Remove ads