NPC Class: Holy Warrior

seasong

First Post
This is one of the little house rules I'm hammering out for my Diandi setting. The reason for this new NPC class is much the same as the reason for the priest NPC class - the cleric class doesn't make a good NPC.

This is not to be confused with the holy warrior PC class from Book of the Righteous, which is more of a variant paladin. Yes, the names are confusing; but I think the Book of the Righteous should have named their Paragon or Divine Soldier or something ;).

The holy warrior fulfills the same role as the DMG warrior, but for churches - the idea is that these are the low-level thugs of the temple, who spend some time meditating and some time training to fight. They are to the cleric as the warrior is to the fighter.

Most temples and whatnot in my setting will have a mix of holy warriors and ordinary warriors; the latter being the common, workaday thugs who happen to work for a temple, rather than devoted "true" warriors of the faith.

All comments are appreciated, particularly if I missed something, or if you have questions, thoughts or comments on the holy warrior's impact and role in a fantasy setting.

Alignment: Any (must be within 1 step of chosen deity).
Hit Die: d8.

BAB: As a cleric.
Good Saves: Will.
Spell Progression: At 3rd level, spells as a level-1 cleric; each two levels thereafter, add +1 spellcaster level as a cleric.

Skill Points: 2 + INT bonus, x4 at 1st level.
Class Skills: The holy warrior's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), and Swim (Str). Note: Some domains modify the holy warrior’s skill set somewhat. Animal, Plant and Travel add Wilderness Lore as a class skill. Knowledge adds all Knowledge skills as class skills, and adds 4 skill points at 1st level and adds 1 skill point per level thereafter, which can only be put in knowledge skills. Trickery adds Bluff, Disguise and Hide as class skills.

Armor and Weapon Proficiency: Holy warriors are proficient with all simple weapons. Holy warriors are proficient with all types of armor (light, medium, and heavy) and with shields. Note that armor check penalties for armor heavier than leather apply to the skills Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Pick Pocket, and Tumble.

Note: Some deities have favored weapons; holy warriors automatically gain proficiency in the deity's favored weapon. Holy warriors who take the War domain also gain Weapon Focus in that weapon for free. If a holy warrior takes the War domain with a deity who does not have a favored weapon, the holy warrior may choose one of the other holy warrior weapon proficiencies (club, dagger, heavy or light crossbow, quarterstaff) to gain Weapon Focus in.

Spells: At 3rd level, the holy warrior can begin casting spells. A holy warrior casts divine spells. He is limited to a certain number of spells of each spell level per day, according to his class level. Each holy warrior must choose a time at which he must spend an hour each day in quiet contemplation or supplication to regain his daily allotment of spells. Time spent resting has no effect on whether a holy warrior can prepare spells.

While praying, the holy warrior decides which spells to prepare. To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, a holy warrior must have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the spell's level. A holy warrior's bonus spells are based on Wisdom. The Difficulty Class for saving throws against holy warrior spells is 10 + the spell's level + the holy warrior's Wisdom modifier.

Deity, Domains, and Domain Spells: When your character becomes a holy warrior, you may choose to have your character serve a specific deity. The holy warrior's deity influences his alignment, what magic he can perform, his values, and how others see him.

At 3rd level, choose one from among the deity's domains for your holy warrior's domain. You can only select an alignment domain (such as Good) for your holy warrior if his alignment matches that domain. If your holy warrior is not devoted to a particular deity, you still select a domains to represent his spiritual inclinations and abilities (but the restriction on alignment domains still applies). Each domain gives your holy warrior a granted power. Your holy warrior gets the granted powers of the domain selected. At 10th level, the holy warrior picks a second domain and also gains the granted power of that domain.

In addition to his standard spells, a holy warrior gets one domain spell of each spell level, starting at 1st. When a holy warrior prepares a domain spell, it must come from one of his domains.

Bonus Languages: A holy warrior may substitute Abyssal, Celestial or Infernal for one of the bonus languages available to the character.

Ex-Holy Warriors: A holy warrior who grossly violates the code of conduct expected by his god (generally acting in ways opposed to the god's alignment or purposes) loses all spells and class features and cannot gain levels as a holy warrior of that god until he atones.

Technik4

First Post
I replied in your spontaneous casting thread one last time, don't know if you were keeping up with that one.

Moving on! I like this class a lot, I think the power level is spot-on for an NPC class (maybe a little high, but not much). Seems like it could emulate a weak paladin or a weak cleric pretty well. The biggest problem I have with NPC classes in general is the spellcasting ones. Spellcasting just doesn't seem "common" to me, and hence shouldn't be in the hands of NPCs unless they have spellcasting levels (which are almost all in the PC classes).

However, I think it works.

Technik

seasong

First Post
Spontaneous: I wasn't, but I looked now :). I'm still keeping the cleric as is.

Spell-casting: Well, it works like this for me - if the cleric is the only divinely inspired class, then anyone divinely inspired is a cleric. There's no middle ground whatsoever. And while you can certainly populate a church with experts and warriors, it doesn't really have quite the same feel.

So... I hemmed and hawed, and tried to decide whether a magic-less church was better than a magic-ful church. The result is the priest and the holy warrior. If you like churches with plenty of divine inspiration, they work; if you prefer more mundane churches, they won't work.

This is why I don't have an NPC arcane magic-user, incidentally :).

For power-level... I'm not sure NPC classes have a power level other than "lower than PCs". I mean, aristocrat and expert are very nearly valid choices; and commoner is heinously low-powered.

hong

WotC's bitch
First, an adept fills the NPC spellcaster role quite well, I'd have thought.

Second, at high levels the exact role of NPC classes becomes somewhat murky. You could easily substitute an Mth level fighter for an Nth level warrior, where M < N. The same applies here: for higher-ups in the church hierarchy, you could just use clerics or experts, with levels subtracted as necessary.

Third, from a practical point of view, are your players ever going to interact with these holy warriors to the extent that statting out the class is required?

seasong

First Post
hong said:
Sure. It does not fulfill a religious role, however, unless NPCs somehow have a rather different religion than PCs. If you disagree with the reasoning behind the priest class, I don't expect you'll agree with this one.
Second, at high levels the exact role of NPC classes becomes somewhat murky. You could easily substitute an Mth level fighter for an Nth level warrior, where M < N. The same applies here: for higher-ups in the church hierarchy, you could just use clerics or experts, with levels subtracted as necessary.
I could, yes. I'm not sure what the rationale would be, however, or how this would be modelled in the rules.
Third, from a practical point of view, are your players ever going to interact with these holy warriors to the extent that statting out the class is required?
Required is a strong word that can not be applied to ANY rule. How about desireable?

As for interactions: members of a functioning clergy or militant religious order, dealing with evil religious sects, being a religious type with the Leadership feat... there are more than enough interactions to justify statting the role out.

Centaur

First Post
hong said:

The adept fills the role of a tribal shaman or such. I think this class works quite well as a NPC Cleric, which is what it appears to be.

seasong

First Post
Thanks Centaur!

Anyone else have any comments on the skill selection, the NPC balance, etc.? Flavor suggestions? Anything?

Centaur

First Post
You might consider adding Diplomacy as a class skill. A person in line of work would likely need to rely on it quite a bit.

The first line of offence may be negotiations by force. When you come at the head of a column of holly warriors, this may be enough to get your enemies to back off.

Course, this could be irrelevant. Religions tend to have an irrational or one sided view of things, If the warriors are called out, it likely is because diplomacy has failed and now bloodshed is the only way left.

Remove ads