• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nyrfherdr's Mini Thread - Inspired by Pogre (NEW 3/1/07 - AFTER A YEAR!)

nyrfherdr

First Post
Thanks Valanthe. I have to say I'm flattered to have inspired you so.
That was really nice of you to say so in your thread (hey everyone... check out Valanthe's CRAB! It's awesome.).

And if they are watching... Pogre, Ledded and FranktheDM. You were the ones who inspired me to take more risks and share my work with this great community.

Here's a couple more photos.
They're still dark... I need to find a way to take pictures when the sun is up!
But for these guys, it probably works in their favor...

Bane Thralls from Privateer Press:
Sample 1:

Sample 2:

Sample 3: The leader

The gang all together. Aren't they cute?

I hope you enjoy.
Game ON!
Nyrfherdr

Hey Nyrf, do you have Photoshop? That's what I use to fix the poor lighting of my pics. Or I use my mini photo studio I set up with some inexpensive adjustable desk lamps I got on clearance at the local Target.

And yeah, I got to say, between you, pogre, FranktheDM, and the other great artists here, there is lots of inspiration and motivation.

Any chance on you writing some tips for working with the green kneadite and maybe some sculpting tips too? I have been interested in trying it out but have no idea where or how to start.

- Valanthe :p

pogre

Legend
nyrfherdr said:
And if they are watching... Pogre, Ledded and FranktheDM. You were the ones who inspired me to take more risks and share my work with this great community.
Nyrfherdr

I'm always watching your thread my friend. I'm a bit swamped with the end of track season and final exams, but I will be back with a vengeance soon!

I have been downloading you pics and lightening them in photoshop to check them out. You might try adding a garage lamp or two to add light.

I echo Val's comments on sharing some green stuff tips - I'm always looking to steal borrow a couple of techniques.

ledded

Herder of monkies
nyrfherdr said:
Thanks Valanthe. I have to say I'm flattered to have inspired you so.
That was really nice of you to say so in your thread (hey everyone... check out Valanthe's CRAB! It's awesome.).

Indeed it is. I had to give it a big fat double-damn when I saw that monster.

And if they are watching... Pogre, Ledded and FranktheDM. You were the ones who inspired meto take more risks and share my work with this great community.

Always watching, man, and thanks for the props, though your stuff is pretty inspiring at times. I do try to get by, though the last few months I've done more lurking than posting... busy busy busy. However, I did finish up some stuff of my own, and also have started some fun Sci-Fi stuff for a campaign we are going to do that I'll have to share with ya'll.

Here's a couple more photos.

Great work, as usual. Love those Bane Thralls... a lot of those Privateer Press minis have really been flipping my lid lately, and they are fuuuuun to paint with all of that sharp detail. Keep it up.

nyrfherdr

First Post
And now for something completely different. Well, maybe not completely.

Several years ago I was working on a dwarven gate for a game.
I sculpted the stone guardians using Crayola Model Magic. I then used texture paint to make it like sandstone, then a couple of washes and highlights later... I had a two statues.
Added to my scratchbuilt gate, I had something that takes up a lot of space.

Front:

Front More Detail:

Another angle:

Game ON!
Nyrfherdr

Last edited:

D'karr

Adventurer
Change the upper case ".JPG" to lowercase ".jpg" and you should be able to see them.

BTW, the statues and gate look fantastic.

I like the size comparison shots. I've always wanted to build a dwarven city gate with huge stone doors and huge statues.

Now I might have to get busy... LOL

Last edited:

nyrfherdr

First Post
I fixed the links. sorry about that.

On another topic... I need some feedback.
A kind enworld member suggested I write some tips on sculpting. I'm happy to do that, but how much information are you looking for?

Should I create a thread on sculpting?
Should I write an article?
Should I focus on starting at the beginning?
Are there topics of most interest? - I guess this could come up in the other thread.

Any other feedback would be useful.

Game ON!
Nyrfherdr

nyrfherdr

First Post
I was trying to help find a mini for a fellow ENWorlder. I own it but couldn't find it still available. I've reposted here for comparison to more recent miniature work.

In 1988 Ral Partha produced the 'Barbarian Pinhead'. I checked Iron Wind Metals which produces the old Ral Partha mini's, but I didn't see it.

I own it. I attached a photo below to confirm.
(This was my skill level 20 years ago :) )

The Barbarian Pinhead:

Game ON!
Nyrfherdr

nyrfherdr said:
Should I create a thread on sculpting?
Should I write an article?
Should I focus on starting at the beginning?
Are there topics of most interest? - I guess this could come up in the other thread.

I wouldn't mind a basic "how to get started/what supplies you use" guide, maybe followed by a tutorial on how to do a basic mini.

I always wanted to give mini sculpting a shot, but no one I know does it. We basically all paint ot build Hirst Arts.

Oh, and I really, really dig the dwarven gate. Awesome stuff! I am thinking I need to experiminet with the model magic a bit more.

- Val

:)

Remove ads