• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E OAR #8

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I have the original though I know there were many follow ups. They were ok but each book was progressively worse. I cannot see paying a premium for a back and white update on the previous trap books that were good to fair or worse.
Yeah, my brother and I had a couple of them as kids and they're amusing to read, but I didn't find them particularly playable.

Retreater

Legend
I expect Grimtooth's has a natural crossover appeal to their home system of Dungeon Crawl Classics. Maybe that's part of the motivation?
Of course, I'm also please to see the old Judges' Guild stuff getting some attention as well.
Maybe they ran out of good, classic TSR material?

I expect Grimtooth's has a natural crossover appeal to their home system of Dungeon Crawl Classics. Maybe that's part of the motivation?
Of course, I'm also please to see the old Judges' Guild stuff getting some attention as well.
Maybe they ran out of good, classic TSR material?
Nah. I think Palace of the Silver Princess with its 2-3 versions and controversial art and the cult classic series Desert of Desolation would be huge hits.

Nah. I think Palace of the Silver Princess with its 2-3 versions and controversial art and the cult classic series Desert of Desolation would be huge hits.
I’m personally holding a candle for “N1 - Against the Cult of the Reptile God”, but they definitely haven’t run dry on classic modules. I’m excited to see what they do with “Caverns of Thracia”.

darjr

I crit!
Oh absolutely. DCC folks in their twitch and YouTube channel have been discussing Dessert and it does give me some, probably mistaken, hope.

And a Silver Princess book would be like printing money.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I dunno, Grimtooth's Traps is a classic for a reason.
Nostalgia.

It was essentially unplayable in the 1E era -- "now, let me laugh and tell you how you died in this inescapable death trap" -- and it definitely doesn't fit how 99% of people play 5E. I am not even sure it will be particularly useful to DCC judges.

But Goodman has a good relationship with the creator's estate and has published Grimtooth stuff before, so it's probably the path of least resistance while they get Caverns of Thracia closer to being ready.

It'd be nice if they could buy out the Bledsaws and get their hands on the rest of the Judges Guild stuff. There are some other gems worth publishing there, although Dark Tower is obviously the high water mark for JG content.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I’m personally holding a candle for “N1 - Against the Cult of the Reptile God”, but they definitely haven’t run dry on classic modules.
N1 is great, but there's not much story to tell there. These books are half histories and N1's history isn't particularly interesting.

Silver Princess seems like it would have been a lock -- two wildly different versions, with scans available for each, and one of the most famous fiascos in the TSR era -- if WotC hadn't decided to apparently end the licensing agreement.

Remove ads