D&D 5E On Attributes

Magister Ludorum

Adventurer
I don't think I would change any of the iconic six. It may be that I'm just a grognard who wants the kids to stay off his lawn, but I'm comfortable with them the way they are.

I am not opposed to the attributes as is, but I would prefer 3 to be basically offensive and 3 to be basically defensive (and as long as we are at extremely unlikely to occur things, I would like each class to be strongly linked to 1 offensive and 1 defensive stat, although PC's would benefit by having high scores in all defensive stats, just extra benefit from 1). Dex damage could easily be int damage (studied the target and saw a weak spot) and spells that use wisdom could be restricted to defensive/healing. The two attribute dependency (TAD) is a little too 4e.

Tentatively it would work something like this (obviously class names are not final):

* the heavy fighter (str/con) gets some kind of benefit each round of combat until the # of rounds exceeds the con modifier,
* I haven't figured out what I want to do with the commando fighter (str/dex),
* the champion (paladin/bladelock) is str/wis and gets boons based on the patron type (celestial, fiend, fey, elemental, undead, aberration, primal spirit),
* the psychic's gig is to astrally project out of the body doing damage, but being vulnerable (offense is int based and how long you can maintain the projection is con based),
* I am thinking an assassin/ranger type for the int/dex combo,
* wizard is int/wis (so they can finally cast healing spells),
* the sorcerer is cha/con and is on a warlock grid where if you want to transform into something con makes your transformation stronger and if you don't (the other grid option), the more con you have, the longer you can cast spells continually without changing (similar [but not identical] list of types as champion patrons with primal spirit basically making you a druid),
* bard is cha/dex,
* the channeler (cleric/warlock mix) is cha/wis and is basically snagging powers from fiends, fey, celestials, elementals, primal spirits, and undead instead of getting toys/pets/mounts from them (champion) or changing into them (sorcerer).

ccs

41st lv DM
I wouldn't change them at all - except to walk the points where you start getting modifiers (+ or -) back to thier 1e versions.
I just think modifiers are given out way too soon in WoTC D&D.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
They are absolutely arbitrary and almost certainly not the best options.

But, unfortunately the classes are balanced based on them so if you go changing them, a lot of things change as a result.

It is actually quite disappointing that so many D&D knock-offs keep the same array as that is really the place where it would make sense to start over with a new array with attributes that are actually equally valuable rather than having the official "dump stats" that D&D has always had.

My favorite stat system so far was the one that was in Ragnarok Online:
STR - Carry capacity, melee damage
AGI - Dodge, attack speed
VIT - Max HP, damage reduction, resist status changes
INT - Max SP (magic points), magic damage
DEX - Accuracy, ranged damage, faster casting, minor impact on attack speed
LUK - Critical hit, critical defense, lucky dodge, minor impact on resist status changes

It was also made so that the higher a stat was the more expensive it was to increase it.
The great thing about that system was that pretty much class could benefit somehow from a stat. An archer e.g. does not need STR for damage, but he needs it to be able to carry more arrows with him. Mages don't need accuracy as spells always hit, but DEX also allows them to cast faster. etc.

As for Pen&Paper, stats seem rather unimportant in general. The main thing they do it increasing a modifier by 1 here and there. It seems to be such a waste to have such a granular system with 6 stats. I feel like it really only is in there because players like to play with numbers. Technically a much better balanced solution would be to just give each class like 10 subtypes and these subtypes just completely define the modifiers you have at each level.

In my free form Pen&Paper games I never had more than 3 stats, which I put into the Rock, Paper, Scissor principle:
Rock - Anything involving power
Paper - Anything involving your brain
Scissor - Anything speedy and sneaky

Remove ads