D&D 5E On rulings, rules, and Twitter, or: How Sage Advice Changed

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Sage Advice has, in my opinion, done more harm than good. I don't think its necessarily Crawford's fault, though the books absolutely could have been written much better and clearly.

Its probably because its been popularized. People are really really intent on being able to prove their interpretations right and a source from the divine creator is almost unarguable when they themselves say "What I say is official help."

Some people ask Crawford loaded questions to get the answer they want to throw at their fellow player's face. Some people took a tweet out of context and made it a law that no one dares argue. Heck, if things are even alluded to be the case by Mike Mearls or Jeremy Crawford 7 years ago (has it been that long?) then its unquestionable fact.

It leads to what I consider to be a newer wave of toxicity in the TTRPG format. Its almost like people were told they couldn't be sexist/racist but they still needed to be hateful and validate themselves at the expense of others.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Well, more specifically, the second interpretation is that it it takes a full 60 minutes total of fighting and any other strenuous activity. So, yes, you could hypothetically fight for 59 minutes under that interpretation, as long as you don’t spend a single minute doing anything else strenuous.
Right. That's the interpretation put forth by Sage Advice. Hence my calling it out when the poster upthread said: "Sage advice is still useful for sane and common sense gaming." The "59 minutes and 59 seconds of combat does not break a long rest" interpretation is neither sane nor common sense.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Right. That's the interpretation put forth by Sage Advice. Hence my calling it out when the poster upthread said: "Sage advice is still useful for sane and common sense gaming." The "59 minutes and 59 seconds of combat does not break a long rest" interpretation is neither sane nor common sense.
Yeah, I got that that was the intent of your post, and I found it amusing (hence the “laugh”). I don’t agree that it isn’t a common sense interpretation, but I do agree that it’s an excellent illustration of why the assertion “Sage Advice is useful for common sense gaming” doesn’t hold up, and I’d rather this thread not devolve into an argument about breaking long rests. The RAW is ambiguous, Sage Advice is not a good source for RAI (anymore), so I say play by whatever interpretation you think is RAF.

so how many fight while trying to long rest is sane? One, two, three, four, ten?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
so how many fight while trying to long rest is sane? One, two, three, four, ten?
Can we not have this argument here, please? There are two valid interpretations of the text on long rests: that it is interrupted by any amount of combat, or that it takes a total of one hour of any strenuous activity, including combat, to interrupt it. If you want to argue about which one is “sane” or “common sense,” please do so in another thread.

Can we not have this argument here, please? There are two valid interpretations of the text on long rests: that it is interrupted by any amount of combat, or that it takes a total of one hour of any strenuous activity, including combat, to interrupt it. If you want to argue about which one is “sane” or “common sense,” please do so in another thread.
Ok, i won’t debating on text, I will just state that Allowing Party to have long rest is sane for the game and the fun of the players. So being smooth on long rest is a good advice to Dm.

Oofta

Legend
I take SA with a grain of salt. Sometimes I follow it, sometimes I don't.

As far as whether the rules could have been better, of course they could have been. They could always be better. If you want to see what a hot mess can be made out of rules for D&D, look no further than 1E. Gygax had some good ideas but being clear, concise and consistent was not his strong suit.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I don't trust anything on twitter... nor do I have a convenient way to access it, as I have no twitter account and it doesn't like privacy browsers.

If WOTC wanted it to be treated as official communication, they'd host it on their own website instead of a microblogging platform known for politically slanted toxicity.
You're in luck - WotC doesn't treat the twitter as official.

On the other hand, the Sage Advice Compendium, a vetted PDF updated a few times a year, they have explicitly declared as official.

Now, if your table doesn't want to use it, that's always fine like with any source. But absent that, a player may refer to it, since it is considered official, just like the PH.

Remove ads