• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) One D&D Survey Feedback: Weapon Mastery Spectacular; Warlock and Wizard Mixed Reactions

Jeremy Crawford discusses the results of the Packet 5 Survey: Weapon Mastery at 80% approval, and all options except for Flex scored similarly. Crawford says that Flex is mathematically one of the most powerful properties, but will need some attention because people didn't feel like it was. This feature is in the 2024 PHB for 6 Classes, guaranteed at this point. Barbarian scored well...

Jeremy Crawford discusses the results of the Packet 5 Survey:

• Weapon Mastery at 80% approval, and all options except for Flex scored similarly. Crawford says that Flex is mathematically one of the most powerful properties, but will need some attention because people didn't feel like it was. This feature is in the 2024 PHB for 6 Classes, guaranteed at this point.
  • Barbarian scored well, particularly the individual features, average satisfaction of 80% for each feature. Beserker got 84% satisfaction, while the 2014 Beserker in the 2020 Big Class Survey got 29% satisfaction.
  • Fighter received well, overall 75% satisfaction. Champion scored 54% in the Big Class Survey, but this new one got 74%.
  • Sorcerer in the Big Class Survey got 60%, this UA Sorcerer got 72%. Lots of enthusiasm for the Metamagic revisions. Careful Spell got 92% satisfaction. Twin Spell was the exception, at 60%. Draconic Sorcerer got 73%, new Dragon Wings feature was not well received but will be fixed back to being on all the time by the return to 2014 Aubclass progression.
  • Class specific Spell lists are back in UA 7 coming soon, the unified Spell lists are out.
  • Warlock feedback reflected mixed feelings in the player base. Pact magic is coming back in next iteration. Next Warlock will be more like 2014, Mystic Arcanum will be a core feature, but will still see some adjustments based on feedback to allow for more frequent use of Spells. Eldritch Invocations were well received. Crawford felt it was a good test, because they learned what players felt. They found the idiosyncracy of the Warlock is exactly what people like about it, so theybare keeping it distinct. Next version will get even more Eldritch Invocation options.
  • Wizard got a mixed reception. Biggest problem people had was wanting a Wizard specific Spell list, not a shared Arcane list that made the Wizard less distinct. Evoker well received.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I still say CON would make sense for a Sorcerer's casting stat. After all, your magical power comes from within your body.
I've always wanted a mechanic which lets a sorcerer push past their normal spell limits (spell level and/or spell quantities) by drawing down on their own personal pool of endurance. The exhaustion rules were always too harsh to use for this but the recently playtested exhaustion rules might work for something like that.

Ashrym

Legend
I would only see Con as a casting stat for a barbarian subclass 1/3rd caster.
Uses Con for spell attack/DCs and can cast barbarian spells only during rage.

I can appreciate that concept very much.

I've always wanted a mechanic which lets a sorcerer push past their normal spell limits (spell level and/or spell quantities) by drawing down on their own personal pool of endurance. The exhaustion rules were always too harsh to use for this but the recently playtested exhaustion rules might work for something like that.

The easiest is converting hit points or hit dice to sorcerer points somehow. For example, taking an action to burn a hit dice an regain a sorc point. Good use outside of combat at the expense of healing, possible during combat with significant action economy cost.

Vael

Legend
Tangent: I NEVER want to see physical stats used for spellcasting. Con is already the second or third best stat for a caster due to HP and Con/Concentration saves, making it fuel DCs and spell attacks is FAR better than any other stat you could use (except Dex).

Wis might edge out Int and Cha due to perception and saves, but Con beats them all by a county mile. Leave casting to the mental stats.

I have to agree, CON as a casting stat is too powerful. I keep poking at adapting Incarnum to 5e, and even there, a system that was originally using CON as it's casting stat, I'm thinking I have to change it.

Remove ads

Remove ads