D&D General One Piece of Art IX (Wildcard)- What NON-D&D Art Inspired You to Love D&D?

I had to think about this more than I expected.

When I was young, I read the Dragonlance books -without knowing they were D&D. So, they would have been early influences on me (along with The Hobbit and The Chronicles of Narnia). However, Dragonlance is D&D, so that don't count.

I also grew up within reasonable driving distance of where Frank Frazetta was located, but his influence on me would have come later.

I wanted to post something from Riddlemaster of Hed or the Lonewolf series. But, ultimately, I think one of the biggest early influences on me was this:

Ghosts & Goblins

View attachment 260050

Now you got me thinking about video games influence on me. There are so many to chose from, but for inspiring the spirit of adventure nothing beats the Legend of Zelda. The First game in the series I played was A Link to the Past. My love of exploration probably started here. Exploring every nook and cranny of the world looking for new NPC's, artifacts, and power ups. If I had to pick a single moment with the most artist merit from the game it would this:

The mysterious ambiance of the Lost Woods, the clearing where the Master Sword rests, the mist clearing when you pull the sword and the heroic overworld theme playing afterwards. Just chef's kiss. :love:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The non D&D artist that probably influenced me most is Ian Miller. He did a lot of work for WHFRP and his stuff is pretty iconic.
1662234434308.png
1662234481001.png

Radaceus

Adventurer
I think it was both* of these I bought in the summer of 1979/1980 that turned my attention to the Red Box further down the aisle:

1662237741199.png
1662237783230.png

*I realize it is two pieces of art, but they are intertwined as one in the menage le trois that became my obsession with D&D,

a few short years later and my love deepened, as a new artist cover appeared on the shelf next to where the first two had seduced me from:
1662238169212.png

Argyle King

Legend
Now you got me thinking about video games influence on me. There are so many to chose from, but for inspiring the spirit of adventure nothing beats the Legend of Zelda. The First game in the series I played was A Link to the Past. My love of exploration probably started here. Exploring every nook and cranny of the world looking for new NPC's, artifacts, and power ups. If I had to pick a single moment with the most artist merit from the game it would this:

The mysterious ambiance of the Lost Woods, the clearing where the Master Sword rests, the mist clearing when you pull the sword and the heroic overworld theme playing afterwards. Just chef's kiss. :love:

NES video games introduced me to rpgs.

I posted Ghosts & Goblins both because of the game and because of the arcade cabinet artwork. When I was very young, my dad owned a small arcade. Something about the artwork on the machine spoke to me.

Golden Axe was also a big influence on me. Lizardfolk are a big part of my fantasy vision because of Golden Axe.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Although I'd learned to play D&D long before I read the book series, Louis Royo's cover art for the first book in the Hawk & Fisher series got me into Royo's art, which very much matched my visions of D&D at the time, nevermind the fact that it was on the cover of what was essentially a D&D buddy-cop novel by one of my favorite authors... :)

1400024477.0.x.jpg

View attachment 259868

Mercer Mayer's Professor Wormbog in Search for the Zipperump-a-Zoo.

This was a particular favorite book of mine as a young child.

Monsters. Lots of really visually cool monsters. Adventuring investigations with surprises and twists.

It laid a foundation.

I came here to post the same thing. It was my favorite book as a child…maybe second favorite to Richard Scarry’s Cars And Trucks And Things That Go…but I loved it. Here’s the bestiary.
395534A3-F0B7-4915-826B-6E870E7DFA35.jpeg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases