D&D 5E One Shot: Legends are Made, not Born (IC)

EarlyBird

Explorer
"Truth and then some," Lord Duncan says in answer to Leilara's inquiry. "Ol' Dirk was the one saved by Helean. He lost one of his arms, but not his life fighting the ogre. He lives as a hermit now on the other side of the river not twenty minutes from here."

Listening to Hassan and Badger his expression turns aghast at the odd outburst. "No, no you need to rescue the townsfolk from the poisoned ogre." he says trying to explain. Listening to the question he slowly shakes his head, "I have never heard of this Lord Tulwar, I'm sorry. Perhaps someone else in the village has, Berk over at the brewery, or Nerenthos the wizard who lives in the tower. And then there is Helean. She has lived here the longest, perhaps she knows something."

"Now we were discussing your reward. I know it is not much but we have little to give in the way of gold."

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Snorri nods his assent to Leilara.

"Covering our expenses'll be enough," he whispers, "though a donation to the clergy's never a bad idea."

He stands up again and looks at the others, confident in his peers although very suspicious of the strange mage.

"If there be a chance those villagers are still alive, we'd best be going. Savin' folks, and buryin' ogres."

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
2j34izt.jpg

Dundor Springs/Merri Riot Inn
Morning

In the corner, away from the others, sat a figure in a dark red cloak of fine make, though showing much wear. The face was concealed by the cowl, though one could see a cascade of blonde ringlets escaping from beneath. She sipped tea, and as she shifted in her seat, one could see she wore studded leather armor of fine quality over her traveller’s clothes. It was low cut with a bit of frill, revealing an impressive decolletage that caught more than a few looks from passing male patrons of the inn. A signet ring winked on her finger as she lifted her cup.

Clarisse silently fumed to herself that her fortunes had brought her so low. She had five coppers in her purse at the moment, and little prospect of being able to pay the looming bill for her room and board from the innkeeper. He was already making subtle inquiries about it, and she was this close to putting a bolt in his throat.

It was all the fault of that damned Bretson de Winter, her late husband. Unfortunately she had been too late in getting him killed. His finances had been less sure than he had led her to believe, leaving her with little but his title, and at his death, his creditors were circling her like sharks in chummed waters. She needed financing quickly, and so had taken mercenary work with a few of the Masked Lords of Waterdeep. It had left her in a comfortable position, but nowhere near clear of her husband’s debtors.

Her last mission, however, had been to Baldur’s Gate, much too close to home for Clarisse -- formerly Riyoco Tesin of Baldur’s Gate -- and had gone terribly wrong. She had been recognized by a member of the Flaming Fists, the local mercenary guard of the Lower City, a man who had turned out to be her second husband Athos Comte -- the man who had nearly killed her, leaving her hanging for dead on a tree. She had thought him dead as well, as no trace of him had been found when she had passed through the little village in which they had lived a few happy years as husband and wife, until he discovered she was a branded thief.

Clarisse sighed and finished her tea before standing up. A rapier and hand crossbow with quiver hung at her side, a spare quiver attached to the pack at her feet.

“I will accompany you,” she spoke, her voice soft, mellifluous, an enticing, breathy whisper to stoke desire and intrigue. Even the way she stood, in an S pose, accentuated her feminine beauty as she pushed back her scarlet hood to reveal a beautiful blonde with blue eyes. “And I have not been abed for some hours, good Lord Mayor,” she chided Duncan Merriweather. The reward offer was little, but more than she currently had. At least she would be able to pay her bill and get out of this gods-forsaken backwater and back to Waterdeep. By Tymora, she missed her feather bed and a hot bath.

She pulled a scarlet half mask from a pocket inside her cloak and settled it over her eyes. “You may call me Milady.” She slipped the signet ring off her finger and into her bodice.

OOC: Just a note: She rarely uses her noble name when working, unless it’s convenient. She is just Milady. It’s a kind of masked identity. Though this far from Waterdeep she isn’t taking too many pains to conceal it, hence wearing her ring.

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:.
Bonus Action:
Free Interaction:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Milady’s Mini Stats]
Inspiration: 0
AC: 15
HP: 12/12 HD: 1/1d10
Init: +3
PP: 10
PI: 12
Bolts: 40
Second Wind (1/R 1d10+1)
[/sblock]

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
"Ooh, a cloak and a mask!" says Leilara, "and a non-specific title instead of a name. You really have got the whole woman of mystery thing going on." Leilara starts scribbling some notes.

JustinCase

Snorri takes a look at 'Milady', his gaze lingering on her womanly curves. His eyes widen before he catches himself, forcefully looking away as a blush appears on the dwarf's cheeks.

"Are you--" he starts hoarsely, looking at the ceiling. Trying again with a too casual whisper, he says, "Is the pretty lady coming along on this dangerous quest?"

hafrogman

Adventurer
Hassan nods his thanks to Milady and then turns to Snorri. "She said she would." Then, waving off the Lord's discussion of money again he rises to his feet. "It sounds like we are in agreement. There are lives in danger, let us be off."

tglassy

Adventurer
"Yes, saving people and killing ogres. That makes much more sense," Badger said, as the young woman joined them. "Hello Anna. I have already had my tea, thank..."

He looked at her again. "You're not Anna. Why would you be trying to impersonate her? You don't do a very good job of it, if I may say so. For one, you're hair's the wrong color! And you're much too scrawny. Anna is a strong woman. Next time, do try to at least study your mark before trying to impersonate them."

And with that, Badger walked past her to the door, pulling a cheese wedge out of a pocket and nibbling on it.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
2j34izt.jpg

Dundor Springs/Merri Riot Inn
Morning

“Woman of mystery... “ Milady mused. “Yes, I could get used to that.”

She turned her brilliant smile on the dwarf. “Yes, I will be coming with,” she told Snorri. “Will you make sure I am safe?” She let a little breathiness into her voice, a little heave of her bosom, a small pout. Men were so easy.

The reaction of the old man threw her off a little, however, and she eyed him warily. “Who is Anna?” she asked. She wasn’t impersonating anyone. “Is he...missing a few bolts from his quiver?” she asked the others.

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:.
Bonus Action:
Free Interaction:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Milady’s Mini Stats]
Inspiration: 0
AC: 15
HP: 12/12 HD: 1/1d10
Init: +3
PP: 10
PI: 12
Bolts: 40
Second Wind (1/R 1d10+1)
[/sblock]

JustinCase

One would think Snorri could not possibly turn redder, but he does.

"I, err," he mutters. His eyes dart about, seeking a way out. When the wizard walks out the door, Snorri runs after him.

"No burnin' in the town," the dwarf says hastily as an explanation.

Remove ads