D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
We aren't against it. We just think it is a little silly to have to state "MAGIC EXISTS" in the books for Dungeons and Dragons.

I mean, seriously, we need to show, in a world where fantastical things are possible by normal people who read and understand the correct books, that it is also possible for them to achieve fantastical things by normal people with the correct physical training... in a game where Monks can run across lava due to their physical training.

You keep acting like this is somehow a giant mystery. The monk text literally states that Ki is a magically energy found inside all living bodies. So here, right here, from the PHB "This energy is an element of the magic that suffuses the multiverse—specifically, the element that flows through living bodies."

Are you alive in the DnD multiverse? Congratulations, you have magic running through your body. Explicitly stated in the PHB. Does the Fighter need to mention it too? Do we need every single class to open "As a living being, and likely a magical creature from mythology like an elf, in a magical world, you have magical potential energy inside you." Of course you are going to say yes, because once you accept that the explanation exists, your entire position crumples.
No other class say they make use of ki. If fighters used it, don't you think the book would say so, like it does for the monk?

Look, if the book was vague for everybody on this issue, maybe I could come around to your point of view. But it isn't.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Then bring back the warrior, expert and commoner classes. If people want to role play as NPCs, give them NPC classes. Let PC classes afford the power budget to do the amazing things needed to keep up with casters and fight powerful monsters.
The fighter could be 100% mundane and high level.

But it requires complex and deep mechanics. Ones WOTC would not commit to because a portion of the fanbase demanded that the base fighter be simple as 2 rocks.

Remember when the every playtest fighter had maneuvers as a base mechanics.

I remember.
1713479116411.jpeg

Seriously, you are telling me new players can't understand extra dice and bonus damage?

Micah Sweet

Then bring back the warrior, expert and commoner classes. If people want to role play as NPCs, give them NPC classes. Let PC classes afford the power budget to do the amazing things needed to keep up with casters and fight powerful monsters.
Or play a game where literally every PC has superpowers, and stop trying to remove them altogether from D&D.

Remathilis

Legend
I think that there should be a Batman Rogue who's technically mundane - and I like the anti-mage fighter or barbarian as a concept.

But the "purely mundane" can't stick swords through dragonscale. There needs to be a level cap for the mundanes unless you're going right to JLA Batman types.
The problem is Batman (as an example of mundane superpowers) is his secret power is plot armor at thick he can barely walk. He always has a plan, has just the right gadget nearby, and always knows how to defeat his enemies. To model that accurately, just let the fighter or rogue player read the module at the table, have access to the MM stats, and pull any item out of the DMG when needed.

Otherwise, you end up with howvBatman SHOULD appear when near Superman or Wonder Woman...

0a48226b8a34262e366c81ccdd9c2fa9.jpg

How can a patron grant a warlock power in lieu of the weak and strong nuclear forces? If WotC doesn't address the exact arcanophysics of how someone gains their power, then their power is unjustifiable. What is the precise chemical reaction that takes place that allows a Paladin to make its oath?

Micah Sweet

How can a patron grant a warlock power in lieu of the weak and strong nuclear forces? If WotC doesn't address the exact arcanophysics of how someone gains their power, then their power is unjustifiable. What is the precise chemical reaction that takes place that allows a Paladin to make its oath?
Yup. The choice is definitely between perfect physics simulation or complete anything goes fantasy. There couldn't possibly be anything in between.

Remove ads