[OOC] Baptism by Fire_FULL

adults in other cultures or in earlier times...but no one expected them to be as strong, fast etc as 'full adults'
it’s 5e. No one expects a halfling to be stronger than a full grown human and yet you can play a halfling with 20STR.

I think Ender was 8 or 9 when he killed Bonzo.

I don’t really want to belabour the issue. I don’t want to make anyone uncomfortable, and can play him as being older. I’ll make him 16.

My original idea was to play him with the sense of wonder, honesty and curiosity that you only get from a kid. I could change his race to fairy or halfling and make him older and give him a ‘kid-like’ personality but it might come across as annoying.

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
it’s 5e. No one expects a halfling to be stronger than a full grown human and yet you can play a halfling with 20STR.

I think Ender was 8 or 9 when he killed Bonzo.

I don’t really want to belabour the issue. I don’t want to make anyone uncomfortable, and can play him as being older. I’ll make him 16.
I'm fine with a kid in the party.

It just makes things...different. for example, why would an archmage call for a child especially one he values to risk himself?

Entering houses of vice, buying stuff, other things...go for it if everyone is ok with it.

I commented on the rules, if DM waves it off as is his prerogative you're good to go.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm absolutely fine with a child, but I think it would be cool if you make him small sized.

The halfling issue is somewhat solved by a 20-Strength halfling being only able to carry 150 lbs, which is the same as a 10-Strength human. Technically, they are only "Strong" in that they can wield their much smaller weapons just as effectively, and can perform athletic stunts (which makes sense with their light bodyweight) with aplomb.

This kid, if we make him small, will be quite weak by comparison! He only has an 8 STR! He's just scrappy, nimble, and something of a charmer.

I'm absolutely fine with a child, but I think it would be cool if you make him small sized.

The halfling issue is somewhat solved by a 20-Strength halfling being only able to carry 150 lbs, which is the same as a 10-Strength human. Technically, they are only "Strong" in that they can wield their much smaller weapons just as effectively, and can perform athletic stunts (which makes sense with their light bodyweight) with aplomb.

This kid, if we make him small, will be quite weak by comparison! He only has an 8 STR! He's just scrappy, nimble, and something of a charmer.
Should I just reskin him as a halfling? I was going to do that originally if he was as going to be very young. I’d lose my feat but gain halfling nimbleness and a few other things. Although, a 12 year old is around 4.5 to 5 feet tall. I think that’s 50th percentile. Way too tall for a halfling and as tall as some adult women.

I don’t really see him carrying people out of combat or burning buildings, fireman style, so it doesn’t matter to me how strong he is. Isn’t carrying stuff a barbarian’s job?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Although, a 12 year old is around 4.5 to 5 feet tall. I think that’s 50th percentile. Way too tall for a halfling and as tall as some adult women.

Yeah, but a halfling, while smaller, has mature muscle and bone growth. If it were up to me and it's NOT, despite my kindly-granted celebrity status (I promise to remember my place!), I'd just go with variant human and throw small size on top of it. You'll get bigger, eventually, after all.

I don’t really see him carrying people out of combat or burning buildings, fireman style, so it doesn’t matter to me how strong he is. Isn’t carrying stuff a barbarian’s job?

Indeed it is!

Helmsman01

Explorer
I have no trouble at all with the age of any character. And him being young is perfect for what I have for adventure details, that all of you as players don't have just yet. I was betting on the fact so much has happened to Fern already in life that'd he be a bit more mature than your typical 10 yr old. Oh and I think I lost a post somehow????

I don't see where I wrote about the spellbook traded for instrument being ok. I'll look again.

Helmsman01

Explorer
Ok not there, I'm not crazy. It went something like...

I get you not being a musical bard and I'm all in. But I think we need to keep to the rules as much as possible and go ahead and pick three instruments Fern is better with than others. Things he might have seen others playing or found cast aside and he toyed with a bit, until they broke beyond repair. As for the swap I'm not opposed to it I just wanted you to add a note that your city map is doodled into the spellbook instead of a separate item. No biggy either way.

But then I notice you talking about an arcane focus, which if you trade out a free instrument for a spellbook you won't have a focus. But I was one step ahead (not really), as I was planning on giving out a couple minor items from the archmage to help the party. Wasn't thinking to far ahead, just a couple potions of healing a scroll or two etc. - But for Fern being its his birthday and all will be getting a ruby of the war mage (XGtE) to help out and stay in the boundaries of the rules.

Ok not there, I'm not crazy. It went something like...

I get you not being a musical bard and I'm all in. But I think we need to keep to the rules as much as possible and go ahead and pick three instruments Fern is better with than others. Things he might have seen others playing or found cast aside and he toyed with a bit, until they broke beyond repair. As for the swap I'm not opposed to it I just wanted you to add a note that your city map is doodled into the spellbook instead of a separate item. No biggy either way.

But then I notice you talking about an arcane focus, which if you trade out a free instrument for a spellbook you won't have a focus. But I was one step ahead (not really), as I was planning on giving out a couple minor items from the archmage to help the party. Wasn't thinking to far ahead, just a couple potions of healing a scroll or two etc. - But for Fern being its his birthday and all will be getting a ruby of the war mage (XGtE) to help out and stay in the boundaries of the rules.
I think I'm going to drop Performance since History and arcana would be part of his wizardly training.

Helmsman01

Explorer
Boy was this a tough one. I got four books open right now going over stuff-
  • Player's Handbook for Warlock and equipment
  • Volo's Guide to Monsters for Aasimar
  • Xanathar's Guide to Everything for Celestial Warlock
  • Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide for Cloistered Scholar

Thanks for the workout - I'm beat.

Note: Comments/updates in Bold I think this got copy/pasted from the original, I'm guessing.

Protector Aasimar Celestial Tome Warlock
Patron: Radueriel

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Size: Medium

Type (Subtype): Humanoid (Outsider)

Init: +2

Senses: Darkvision 60'

Passive: Perception 11, Insight 11

DEFENSE

AC: 14 (studded leather 12 +2 dex)starting armor is leather

HP: 20 = 2 x (8+2)

Saves: Str +0, Dex +2, Con +3, Int +2, Wis* +3, Cha* +5
I have CON +2, and INT +1

Special Defenses: Necrotic and Radiant Resistance

OFFENSE

Speed: 30ft / Fly 30 ft not until 3rd lvl

Melee: Dagger +4 / 1d4+2 or Staff +4 / 1d8+2; Staff +2 / 1d6 or 1d8(V)

Ranged: Eldritch blast +5 / 1d10

ATTRIBUTES

base: cha 14, dex 14, con 14, int 12, wis 12, str 11

Str 11 (+0), Dex 14 (+2), Con 15 14 (+2), Int 12 (+1), Wis 12 13 (+1), Cha 16 (+2)

(Cha +2 Aasimar,Con +1WIS +1 Aasimar )

SPELLS (3 known, 2 1st level slots):

Cantrips:

Eldritch Blast (warlock)

Minor Illusion (warlock)

Light (Aasimar)

Sacred Flame (Celestial)

1st: Healing Elixir, Guiding bolt, Protection from Evil
what source are you using for the healing elixir spell?

Invocations: Repelling Blast, Eyes of the Runekeeper

FEATS: Not yet

Warlock: Choose two from Arcana, Deception, History, Intimidation, Investigation, Nature, and Religion

SKILLS:

Proficiency Source
Arcana Warlock
Investigatio Warlock
Religion Cloistered Scholar
History Cloistered Scholar

Aasimar

Languages: Celestial, Common, Draconic, (suitable local language)recieved from Background

Healing Hands: As an action, you can touch a creature and cause it to regain a number of hit points equal to your level. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Light Bearer: You know the Light cantrip. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for it.

Radiant Soul: Starting at 3rd level, you can use your action to unleash the divine energy within yourself, causing your eyes to glimmer and two luminous, incorporeal wings to sprout from your back.

Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, you have a flying speed of 30 feet, and once on each of your turns, you can deal extra radiant damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell. The extra radiant damage equals your level.

Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Background

Skill Proficiencies: History, Religion

Languages: Draconic and Untheric

Equipment: The scholar's robes

a writing kit (small pouch with a quill, ink, folded parchment, and a small penknife)

a borrowed book on the subject of your current study (Necronomicon)

and a pouch containing 10 gp -please add all this under current equipment, thanks

Feature
Library Access

Warlock

Proficiencies

Armor: Light armor

Weapons: Simple weapons

Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma

Bonus Cantrips: Sacred Flame, Light

Healing Light 3d6 of healing daily in 1d6 steps

Radiant Soul: wings for 1 minute, +CHA radiant damage with attacks or spells @ 3rd LvL

Spellcasting:[CHA] DC 13, ATK +5

EQUIPMENT

Quarterstaff

Arcane Focus (Crystal)

A scholar's pack or dungeoneer please pick one

Studded leather armor

missing one more simple weapon

Two daggers

Protection from Evil: Holy water/powdered silver and iron; consumed (5 / 5)

Healing Elixir: Alchemist supplies we will say you requested and received this from Delenir before leaving

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases