OOC - Mad God's Key

Tinner

First Post
I'm itching to try my hand at a 3.5 PbP game for the first time.
I want to keep it simple, and fast paced while I get used to how this works.
I'm considering running either Mad God's Key from Dungeon 114, or Final Resting Place from 122.

Any takers?

Last edited:

ghostcat

First Post
What sort of posting frequency. I can only manage to post once a day or occasionally every two days. If this is OK, I'm interested.

Can you post character level & generation rules.

Lobo Lurker

First Post
I have no idea what the adventure's about (a plus, I assume). But sure, why not. I like your posting style from the other game we're in so color me interested.

Nuressa Jherhud, Female Dwarf, Fighter 1: CR 1; Medium Humanoid (Dwarf) AL: NG;
HD 1d10+3 (Fighter) ; hp 13; Init +6; Spd 20; AC:18 (Flatfooted:17 Touch:11)
Atk +4 base melee, +2 base ranged; +5 (1d8+3 20/x3, Warhammer); +4 (1d4+3 18/x2, Kukri), +2 (1d4+3 sling); +4 (1d6+3, Spiked Shield), Grapple +4

SQ: Slow, base land speed 20 (unaffected by medium/heavy loads); Darkvision 60 ft.; Stonecunning (+2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up); Weapon familiarity (waraxes & urgoshes); Stability (+4 vs. bull rushes & trips); +2 racial save vs. Poison; +2 racial save vs. spells & spell-like abilities; +1 racial bonus on attacks vs. orcs & goblinoids, +4 dodge bonus to AC vs monsters of the GIANT type; +2 racial bonus to Appraise checks on stone/metal items; +2 racial bonus to Craft checks related to stone/metal;

Saves: Fort +5, Ref +1, Will +0

Abilities: STR 16, DEX 12, CON 16, INT 14, WIS 10, CHA 6.

Skills: Climb +7 (4, +3 mod), Craft: weaponsmith +4 (2, +0 mod, +2* race), Handle Animal +0 (2, -2 mod), Intimidate +2 (4, -2 mod), Jump +3 (0, +3 mod), Ride +3 (2, +1 mod), Swim +5 (2, +3 mod)

Languages: Common, Dwarven, Goblin, & Giant

Feats: Armor Proficiency: light, Armor Proficiency: medium, Armor Proficiency: heavy, Improved Initiative, Weapon Focus (warhammer),

Possessions
Weapons (20 GP, 7 lbs): Warhammer (1d8 dmg, 20/x3, Blunt, 5 lbs), Kukri (1d4 dmg, 18+/x2, Slashing, 2 lbs), Heavy Wooden Spiked Shield (1d6 dmg, 20/x2, Piercing), Sling (1d4 dmg, 20/x2, blunt, 20 ft. range)

Armor (167 GP; 50 lbs, -7 ACP): Heavy Wooden Spiked Shield (+2 AC, -2 ACP, 10 lbs), Chainmail (+5 AC, MDB 2, ACP -5, 40 lbs),

Goods: Flint & Steel (1 gP), Bullseye Lantern (12 gp, 3 lbs, clear illumination in 60 ft cone & shadowy in 120 ft cone), 6 Pints of Lantern oil (6 sp, 6 lbs, powers lantern for 6 hours per pint), 150 ft of hemp rope (30 lbs, 3 gp), Explorer's Outfit (10 G, 8 lbs), Pouch of 20 sling bullets (2 sp)

Magic: Wondrous: <none>

Money Bag: 32 Gold 12 Silvers​

Background
As as child, there was nothing special about Nuressa. She trained as an apprentice smith with her father and was betrothed to another young dwarven silversmith. That would have been the end of her story if a cart full of iron ore hadn't crushed her when one of it's wheels collapsed.
Everyone thought she would die... and indeed, most hoped she would as she had been terribly disfigured. The local cleric was away on a spiritual retreat and thier community wasn't that large. Her cousin, the local naturalist/guide couldn't do much for her.
Despite all that, Nuressa woke up one morning. She'd once been fair, but now her nose was broken, her left eye seemed to be bloodied and half her teeth had been knocked out. Likewise, her cheekbones had fractured and her left arm was twisted. The greatest damage, however, had been to her mind.
While not amnesiac or slow, she never-the-less was a bit queer after the accident and seemed to have forgotten a great many things that she'd learned. Where once she was a dutiful daughter interested in forging horse shoes, spades, and oxwaynes she now yearned to explore. She was contrary just for the sake of being contrary, and while she meant no harm she just didn't fit in with the rest of the community anymore.
6 years after her accident, Nuressa stole some weapons and armor from her father's smithy and attached herself to a passing caravan of halflings bound for the great city of Greyhawk.
She's just arrived and is amazed at what she's found.

Appearance
Not savory, even for a dwarf. Nuressa's hair is flame red shot through with black. Her nose is crooked and half her teeth are made of nickle. Her left eye is bloodshot while the right one is a beautiful blue.
She's tall for a dwarf, not that it means much, and is large shouldered. She tends to walk with a pronounced limp and her left arm hangs at an akward angle. It obviously pains her but it doesn't seem to hinder her any.

Last edited:

Tinner

First Post
Character Level would be dependant on which adventure we choose.

Mad God's Key is a City of Greyhawk adventure that turns into a dungeoncrawl. Lots of undead. I'd want four 1st level characters.

Final Resting Place is an Underdark rescue mission with a twist. Lots of Troglodytes. I'd want four 3rd level characters.

Character generation would be standard 28 point point buy.
Maximum gold per level.
Maximum hp per level.
Race is unimportant, but obviously for the Underdark game races suited to that setting might have an advantage. Otherwise, play whatever fits.
For classes I'll allow almost any sourcebooks, WotC or otherwise, as well as stuff from Dragon magazine, or even ENWorld creations. As long as it doesn't scream "broken". If I don't have the book you want to use you'll have to provide me a basic summary of what the class offers. But I have a LOT of books, so feel free to go wild.
I would like to try for an optimal mix of 1 fighter, 1 spellcaster, 1 rogue and 1 cleric, or other suitable classes that can fill those roles.

I post a lot most days, but I understand not everyone is unemployed. ;)
(I hope I'm not or much longer!!!)
As long as you post once a day, I'm cool with that.
If you don't post for two days, you are liable to be eaten by a grue and replaced.

My play style has been described to me as "old-school, smash-mouth D&D" which means I like to keep things fast and furious. If you put on a good show fate will smile on you. Boring PC's tend to wind up dead. :D
If a player wants to try something that isn't strictly by the RAW, I'll usually allow it as long as they can give me a good story reason, and it's not purely a power-gaming tactic.

I would prefer to roll all the dice for the game using Invisible Castle

I don't mind having PC's "spontaneaously" level up if they earn enough XP during an adventure.

If things go well, I do have plenty of plans to expand and continue this series as a regular campaign, whichever adventure we choose to start with.

What else can I say to entice you? :D

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Tinner said:
What else can I say to entice you? :D

Free doughnuts... you can't get good doughnuts in Costa Rica 'cause the Ticos don't really eat doughnuts.

I'd vote for whichever adventure isn't heavily dependent upon traps and players collaborating square-by-square/needing to pore over extensive maps. That kinda sucks in a PbP medium.

I'm easy... likely a fighter of some type. Clerics bore me and I'm not really creative enough for a Wizard (imho) beyond the cast knock here, fireball those guys, dispel magic on that guy...

Last edited:

Tinner

First Post
Lobo Lurker said:
Free doughnuts... you can't get good doughnuts in Costa Rica 'cause the Ticos don't really eat doughnuts.

I'd vote for whichever adventure isn't heavily dependent upon traps and players collaborating square-by-square/needing to pore over extensive maps. That kinda sucks in a PbP medium.

I'm easy... likely a fighter of some type. Clerics bore me and I'm not really creative enough for a Wizard (imho) beyond the cast knock here, fireball those guys, dispel magic on that guy...

Don't eat doughnuts?!?!?!
What kind of culture doesn't have SOME kind of sweetened fried bread product?

Hmmm ... both adventures do have a few traps, but nothing extensive.
Final Resting Place probably has fewer though, and those will be fairly obvious when encountered too.

You've got dibs on the figher then Lobo.
If we can get three more players we'll be good to go. :D

Tinner

First Post
sleepystyle said:
I'd be interested in either, preferably as a wizard type.

City dwelling backgrounds preferred then. Both adventures set in greyhawk?

Welcome aboard. Consider the wizard position all yours.

Mad God's Key actually takes place in the City o Greyhawk itself. Final Resting Place is fairly generic.
I'm not super knowledgeable about Greyhawk, so my version of it is sure to be pretty basic. It's probably as Greyhawk centered as the Core books are. There's a general flavor, but very few specifics.

City dwelling backgrounds are fine, but not necessary. If we decide to go with FRP, then it's going to be almost entirely Underdark stuff.

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Well, I'll whip something up just as soon as we decide on an adventure then. :)

Oh, they have doughnuts... just no good ones.

Its a foreign country so the milk tastes different, the flour tastes different, they put more sugar in things... it's just not the same. :)

Tinner

First Post
Lobo Lurker said:
Well, I'll whip something up just as soon as we decide on an adventure then. :)

Good point.
Then in the interest of getting this thing moving let's sound off on who likes what.

Choose one of the following adventures.

Mad God's Key - A hunt for a missing key leads the heroes from the streets of the City of Greyhawk to the Tomb of Blood Everflowing in the treacherous Cairn Hills.
- First level PC's.
- City of Greyhawk/dungeon setting
- Lots of rogues and undead

Final Resting Place - Most adventurers like to think that when teir number is finally up, their colleagues will bring them home, either to be ressurected or at least returned to their families for a proper burial. But will the PC's draw the line at hauling an adventurer's corpse out of the Underdark?
- Third level PC's
- Almost entirely underground caverns.
- Lots of darkness & troglodytes

Remove ads