Pathfinder 1E [OOC] Pathfinder: Jade Regent

Kaodi

Hero
Okay. I had Googled it but the threads I saw did not have any word from Jacobs so I was left without the definitive answer then.

G

Guest 11456

I have seen the discussions on this, it was not a mistake. If you search the Pazio boards you can see how it is ruled.

[sblock=From the Developers]Can you or can you not attack diagonally at a distance of 2x squares (15'=10' exception) with a reach weapon?

James Jacobs: Nope. A reach weapon gives a specific extension to your reach. When you count out squares, since every other square is doubled when you count diagonally, that means that there’ll be corners where you can’t reach.

Sean K. Reynolds: It's an artifact of the grid. The closest the rules come to addressing this is in Large, Huge, Gargantuan, and Colossal Creatures, which says:
Unlike when someone uses a reach weapon, a creature with greater than normal natural reach (more than 5 feet) still threatens squares adjacent to it. A creature with greater than normal natural reach usually gets an attack of opportunity against you if you approach it, because you must enter and move within the range of its reach before you can attack it.
So just because the grid has a square for "15 feet away" and a square for "5 feet away," but no square for "10 feet away," using that corner path doesn't mean you're magically teleporting from 15 feet to 5 feet; you are passing through a 10-foot-radius band around the creature, and therefore you provoke an AOO.
Admittedly it's not clear, and obviously it doesn't have the diagram in the 3E book to provide a non-textual example, but it's supposed to work as I described above.[/sblock]

Nice to see that I made the right ruling. This does bring up something that I noticed on the boards that I will address here. It is a special case where a 5-foot step will provoke an attack of oppotunity.

Code:
.1TTT..
.T2C.T.
.TBA.T.
.T...T.
..TTT..

Enemy takes a 5-foot step from 1 to 2. Character A has a reach weapon. Enemy provokes an AoO from A but not from B or C. To the enemy, B & C it is merely a 5-foot step, but to A it is considered a 10' move because of the odd way that corners work for the reach weapon.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Huh, that's interesting. While they reduced the coverage of the reach weapons, they made sure that the lopped off corner could not be exploited. :)

Kaodi

Hero
Okay. That threaten rule could be relevant for this fight too. I was thinking of using my move action to move somewhere I can sort of pen him in even if I cannot attack in surprise round. Not enough run space to charge and attack with a reach weapon..

G

Guest 11456

Kaodi are you waiting on a reply from me? Otherwise you are up in the game thread.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
My question is: do we need to do individual initiative outside of the first round? I for one don't at all mind if, say, Suldrel goes before me of if I go before him, instead of having to wait for each other?

G

Guest 11456

My question is: do we need to do individual initiative outside of the first round? I for one don't at all mind if, say, Suldrel goes before me of if I go before him, instead of having to wait for each other?

For now just go in initiative order. Once this combat is complete or the party is all dead I'll evaluate how things went. I want to see how this one goes, it being the first of many...

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Alrighty.

Re tokens, I take it you didn't like Fastus' character portrait for this? (If it's a question of definition I can send you one about twice as big as the one I posted in the RG?)

EDIT = Made one (hopefully it's to Ditzie's specifications (I modified one of theirs)):

attachment.php

Last edited:

G

Guest 11456

Alrighty.

Re tokens, I take it you didn't like Fastus' character portrait for this? (If it's a question of definition I can send you one about twice as big as the one I posted in the RG?)

EDIT = Made one (hopefully it's to Ditzie's specifications (I modified one of theirs)):

attachment.php

Just trying to add some color. I can use whatever. I will change it next round assuming Fastus is still alive.

Remove ads