(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I guess it depends on how I choose to run Hiding vs Perception (the 5e rules are vague as mud, and there's a lot of arguments to be found on how it's meant to work).

Tommi moved through what's technically Line-of-Sight (and everyone is assumed to be aware of everything in Line-of-Sight unless the DM decides otherwise) and then he moved into Cover, which gave him the ability to use the Hide Action (which he did, as a Bonus Action, IIRC, because he's a Rogue).

Now, the Orcs weren't aware that anyone was there until the Wolves started howling (which they did after your bonus 15' move - which wasn't enough for Tommi to get into Cover) so I'd assume not every one of them was looking when Tommi slid down the hill and dove into a bush, but probably a few of them were. (Some of them may have been looking at the Wolves, or at each other, wondering what the wolves were going on about).

Still! Tommi's hide has beaten all their Passive Perception scores by a mile, so if they want to find him (even if they know that he's "somewhere in those bushes") - they've got to take the Search Action or they don't know where he is. Sure, they could just thrust their sword or hack at the bushes with an axe hoping to get him, but I should (in the very least) roll randomly to see if they're even attacking in the correct Square (The brush he's in covers about 5 squares, so I should probably roll a 1d10 and have them get Tommi on a 9 or 10). Even THEN, they'd roll the attack with Disadvantage, because they still can't See him.

OR, they could just go after the people they can see that are trying to kill them. They'd be aware of the danger in the bushes (which story-wise would explain what happens if Tommi misses on his attack).

Those are my options. As for what I'd do? I'd usually have a boss order a flunky to search for him, which will probably fail, but only if they've got nothing better to do. They'll probably fling javelins up the hill at visible targets instead. We'll see.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@Neurotic There isn't a general rule for advantage from surprise in 5e, no. I think maybe some Rogues might get it, and the UA Revised Ranger IRRC, but not generally, no. You DO, however, get it whenever you're unseen, so if you happen to get surprise because you've managed to be unseen, then you'd have it, but not if you move into line-of-sight before attacking (at least, not unless you managed to hide again, which would probably take being a Rogue to pull off).

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Whew! Finally got that round done. I noticed a few mistakes all ready, I forgot to put a "dead" marker-skull on the 2nd wolf, for example. Feel free to inform me of any others. It's easier the faster I do it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Keep that path open? I'd like to come charging out just as the Orcs round the bend.
Bear's got a 40-foot speed. Feel free to post Dandin sending the bear forward (he's not fully trained, so I suggest an Animal Handling check, or there might be some 'friendly fire' at some point). He can move to AD38 and I'll have the orcs move forward toward there at around the same time.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Fwew! I just spent all day (not kidding) redoing all my maps. I like making maps, but I hate that bit where I have to update the locations before posting a round. It takes me forever. So I went through labelling and colour-coding all the icons. Officially now, PCs are Blue, NPCs are Yellow, and BGs are Orange (and Spell Effects are Green). Every Icon will have an ID right on it, and I won't have to worry about it. We should all be able to tell what icon is who without cross-referencing. Let me know if you have trouble reading them.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@FitzTheRuke the idea of readied action is to interrupt the spell. OrcEye needs to make a con save to cast successfully.

I understand that was your intent, and I did roll a successful con save for him, before wondering... does "Interrupting Spells" even exist in 5e? I'm not sure it does. I think that only concentration spells can be disrupted that way, but feel free to tell me if I'm wrong. It seems like a 'previous edition hold-out' (like how I keep trying to do "round zero" and "surprise rounds" even though that's not a thing anymore.

Does the one-eye have full cover?

At the moment, yes. Gone hugging the wall of a 20-foot cliff. Orcs might be aggressive, but they're not without basic battle-tactics.

EDIT: Your earlier thought was on-point though - I forgot to mention, the last orc (who hopped over to join the battle, but was turned back by the one-eye, will work his way back across the river to report on the attack. Escella can see this happening (including understanding that the orc is not happy to be chosen to be a messenger, when he could be killing elves), but the orc hasn't left yet - he'll be heading for the leap from one pile of rocks to the other as Escella starts her turn....

Remove ads