(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Where'd the map go? I thought you just did an update. I don't see it now.
Oh, I put the map on the round-roller, not when I do mini-updates to keep myself from falling behind. The last map posted is at the last round-roller Post #1918.

I kind of imagine the whole round to be happening simultaneously, so orcs are all running about ATM. I mean, if you really want to try to say that you shoot at the one-eye before he gets behind the cliff, I guess I couldn't fault you for that (it's what I would assume happened if you'd posted before I did, after all) but you also could just shoot at the "one getting away" if that makes more sense to you. If you have trouble imagining where everyone is (because some turns have happened between the last map and your turn now) just assume that everyone is where they are on the last posted map when Escella starts her turn, and by the time she's done, they're wherever they go on their own turn. (If that's not confusing in itself).

(It's better if you take into account what's been posted, just so nothing has to be backtracked on, but I'm not gonna fault you just because I tried to get ahead on my resolving so that I don't get behind as fast).

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I understand that was your intent, and I did roll a successful con save for him, before wondering... does "Interrupting Spells" even exist in 5e? I'm not sure it does. I think that only concentration spells can be disrupted that way, but feel free to tell me if I'm wrong. It seems like a 'previous edition hold-out' (like how I keep trying to do "round zero" and "surprise rounds" even though that's not a thing anymore.

You're right. I read the rules, but I didn't grasp the finesse:
When the trigger occurs, you can either take your reaction right after the trigger finishes or ignore the trigger.
I guess I could say Darfin casts when shaman STARTS the spell, but...how would he know he is not just speaking something (giving instructions to the messanger) - and once the ACTION starts, it will finish before casting.

Darfin is alive so long he remembers the things as they were before :)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Interrupting spells, short of casting counterspell, does not exist in 5e.

Escella is firing at the runner. She's also going to chase after him since I doubt on eldritch blast will stop him. I want to know where the bear ended up.
The bear killed Orc1 so should be in AC34 AD35

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The bear killed Orc1 so should be in AC34 AD35
No, I allowed 'Goyle to chose to "Ready" the Bear's charge for when the Orcs came up. Orc1 moved to AC38 and the bear rushed straight forward to AD38 AE39.

I guess I should have just waited for everyone to go (generally the order I use to resolve things is "PCs go; Monsters go; NPCs go". But I also tend to resolve all the movement before I resolve all the attacks. It's not an exact science when we're not using initiative, but problems so rarely come up that it's not usually worth worrying about.

Intention is more important than precision, IMO. If Escella wants to chase and shoot, just do that, and I'll move her to the safest place that she can move forward. Heck, she's an elf. With a dc12 acrobatics check, I'd let her jump down onto that big boulder right in front of her (she can move to AE32). An orc could theoretically move to AE31 to try to get her, but she'd be over his head (about 8 feet up), so I'd give him disadvantage (she could relatively easily hop over his axe-swings). Though he'd probably just throw javelins at her instead. If no orcs go after her, she could hop off the rock (no check) and follow Tommi down the hill.

Which direction did that orc move? I assumed he was headed south, down river. Escella would want to go south past the bottle neck linking the two upper tiers. She isn't jumping down into a mass of orcs. That would make chasing difficult. But is he going to head south or west? That will determine her action.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
He's heading West at the moment, jumping between the rock piles (he'll end his turn at O34 if that helps).

You're right that jumping down would put you near a lot of orcs, sure, but not where they can easily get at you up on a boulder that's behind a lot of brush. But sure, they could choose to throw javelins at you, I suppose (though they can do that just as easily where you are now, or probably nearly anywhere you could go). The bigger problem, as I see it, would be getting past that bottle-neck. That's where most of the orcs are going, so going that way will likely put you more in the thick of the orcs than jumping down. Though I suppose if you pass Titus on the higher ridge, you might find another way down as you go south. Up to you.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@MetaVoid You know how we were talking about "Interrupting Spells" not being a thing in 5e? Yeah well, flanking is apparently the same. It's not a thing. (I think I remember it being suggested somewhere as an optional rule, but it's not one I've seen widely adopted.) It's another thing that sticks in our brains as being true, but it's not a 5e thing, I'm afraid.

How possible does Escella believe it would be to cast expeditious retreat (the simple part), slide down the cliff in front of her, dash across the mid-level green and then running jump into the water putting somewhere around row 36-ish, column v-ish.

I figure with exp retreat swimming the river is less than a single round. And then she can move, bonus action dash, cast eldritch blast at the orc until he dies, or turns and faces her.

Crazy? Does she think she can get down the cliff? Does she think the river is deep enough for a dive? Etc.

EDIT: Nevermind she just does it. As the round starts she has a clear path.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
How possible does Escella believe it would be to cast expeditious retreat (the simple part), slide down the cliff in front of her, dash across the mid-level green and then running jump into the water putting somewhere around row 36-ish, column v-ish.

I figure with exp retreat swimming the river is less than a single round. And then she can move, bonus action dash, cast eldritch blast at the orc until he dies, or turns and faces her.

Crazy? Does she think she can get down the cliff? Does she think the river is deep enough for a dive? Etc.

EDIT: Nevermind she just does it. As the round starts she has a clear path.

You'll find that I tend to be relatively generous with that sort of thing, because I like it. They HAVE been damming the river, so it's not as deep in that bend as it normally would be, but Escella can probably pull it off. Gimme two checks, one can be acrobatics, but one ought to be athletics (or both athletics) don't worry too much about bad rolls (it's more for style than success, though there might be a bit of damage involved if you roll too terribly, but nothing that should hurt her too badly). Roll high and it's ALL STYLE, baby!

EDIT: I see you rolled one already in the IC. Gimme one more, please. It can be whichever you like out of the two 'physical' skills.

Remove ads