• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The OOC says that you had a long rest. This is before even discussing where you would go next (but after repelling the siege). This would be why I have most of you at full Hit Dice. The ones that aren't at full HD had gone through them all (or most of them) earlier. I was wrong about how far the manor is away, though. It's "only" eleven miles away to the south. Technically, it would be only a little after dark when you got there. It's only a bit further than Nandar Lodge (which is more like 9 miles to the west).

At any rate, you can easily short rest now. You just have to decide where you want to do it.

I'll revise Neurotic's options list:

1) Short Rest here and then scout the castle at night.
2) Abandon the camp and short rest nearby in the forest. Then choose to scout the castle or move on.
3) Abandon the camp and move on to Nandar Lodge (where you can probably get a long rest).

The important post is this one:

The Daggerfordians ate a small meal, tended their wounds, and caught up on some much-needed rest.
Yes, a short rest after battle. The whole point was that we were heading out while the orcs were still disorganized from their defeat. I don't think 8 hours after their defeat they would still be disorganized. We entered that orc camp as two orcs were fighting for leadership. That fight didn't happen 8 hours earlier? All I know is we showed up at this fight with people down spells. When would we have used them after a long rest?

This is from the first post of the battle at the orc camp. When did Escella and Vairar cast those spells after the long rest?

Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Angis AC14(15) HP 58/58 HD 5/6 PP15* SS 1/4 0/2
Dornuk AC18* HP 71/71 PP14* MA 3/3 BM 3/3 S.dc15
Escella AC14 HP 33/33 HD 4/6 PP18 SS 2/4 1/3 1/2 SP 5/5
Lionel AC16 HP 51/51 HD 6/6 PP14
Tommi AC14 HP 39/39 HD 6/6 PP17
Vairar AC18*(20*) HP 45/45 HD 5/6 PP13* SS 1/4 2/3 2/3
(NPCs)
Oh-Six AC13(18) HP 22/22 PP15(20)* Shock+5,1d8; SS 3/3 fly60'

We're here to get info and weaken the orcs. First part is done. Scouting - info can be sent by animals, random encountered elves, freed slaves (although I sent the boar handler away :( )

My vote is scout and away.
I don't think we had long rest, but I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise :)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It's a good point about the spell slots, (I admit, I'm terrible at keeping track of your spell slots in either direction), but you'd definitely have less Hit Dice than that mentions if you didn't get a long rest, and that post says in the OOC part of it that it was a long rest.

As far as leaving it eight hours before following the orcs northward (and the orcs having not yet dealt with gaps in their leadership) goes, well... it was a routed army. Admittedly a very small army, but still... getting themselves reorganized ten miles to the north after fighting all night long... probably took some time. The orcs needed their own rests, too.

I probably just forgot to update the spell slots.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So here's what was posted for the last round of the last fight before this one:

Angis AC14(15) HP 3/58 HD 2/6 PP15* SS 2/4 2/2
Escella AC14 HP 1/33 HD 1/6 PP18 SS 2/4 1/3 1/2 SP 5/5 (Str-2)
Lionel AC16 HP 47/51 HD 5/6 PP14 (Str-4)
Tommi AC14 HP 0/39 (dying) HD 3/6 PP17 (Str-4)
Vairar AC18*(20*) HP 21/45 HD 2/6 PP13* SS 1/4 2/3 2/3

Then Angis took 4 damage and failed a death save, and Vairar healed Tommi (for 6) and Angis (for 7)... then everyone raided a pantry for some magical honey (healing everyone about half-way and Vairar cast Prayer of Healing. Angis cast a level 2 CureLW. And lists his Spell Slots at 1/4 and 0/2 (which make my notes up there wrong).

At any rate it's a bit messed up. Let's say it WAS a Long Rest, just to move on. Please give yourself an Audit for whatever spells you used in this fight (and if you used any before. I'm pretty sure Angis did.) The Hit Dice in the list above this one should be correct, and you can use those when we decide where to take a short rest.

I have a file that I keep all my character statblocks in. I don't use your statblocks at all for Escella.

The difference is Escella didn't use anything but cantrips because she was low on spells. Notice her spell line is identical before and after the fight.

In any case, water under a bridge.

To the group: I suppose with a short rest we handle more combat. But I don't think that's worth our time. We should get away from here after looting the camp, the orcs must have been getting paid. Then we head to the Cabin on the way to the gnoll's camp. And then on the way back we scout the fortress.

That's my proposal.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I noticed while searching for evidence of a rest that I described Floshin Manor and Harpshield Castle as both 20 miles apart, and 11, in two different places. This is because it IS 20 miles from the Manor, but only 11 from the edge of the Estate. Either way, it's further than the ruined Lodge, which is 9 miles west.

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
FWIW, I was treating that rest before we left the manor as a long rest according the OOC in this post.
The Daggerfordians ate a small meal, tended their wounds, and caught up on some much-needed rest. It was early-afternoon when they gathered together in the dining hall for a meal and some discussion. The druids had scouted the grounds and could confirm that the orcs had dispersed. The consensus was that the horde had broken into smaller groups, likely returning to their various lands, while the main force had turned toward Harpshield Castle (a ruined place some twenty miles to the north, at the south-eastern edge of the Ardeep forest).

This information led to a discussion of Gnolls in the western part of the same woods. Here, Escella was able to tell the tale of her ordeal and some connections were made to what happened to Titus and Shalendra.

OOC: @jmucchiello please share as much or as little as you like about Escella's ordeal. If you'd rather, I'll do it. In attendance are the PCs, Sir Darfin, Sarel the Raven Druid, and Dornuk the half-orc (and a couple of servants). I'll have Sir Darfin recount his interview with Shalendra after a few of you have posted. Oh! Long Rest. Not quite a level-up yet, though. Normally I'd reward you with one, but I did one just before the last battle. Next milestone.
Lionel was at full health and had all his HD available.
I guess that Escella would have all spell slots available since she did not use any during this orc fight. 😛

I think we should have a short rest and scout the castle and then continue on to the gnolls.

Remove ads